Sep 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
A solid victory over #12 Marquette and a hard-fought draw with #9 Georgetown were enough to earn top-ranked Notre Dame its third consecutive adidas/IU Credit Union Classic title.
The Irish shared the championship with Indiana, which also went 1-0-1 at the tournament.
Notre Dame opened against Marquette on Friday evening and found itself on its heels after the Golden Eagles punched in a goal nine minutes into the game. The Irish responded beautifully, however, with tallies by junior midfielder Connor Klekota (28’) and graduate student Leon Brown (66’) propelling the squad to a 2-1 win.
Irish head coach Bobby Clark agreed that the early deficit might have been a blessing in disguise.
“It certainly woke us up, there’s no question,” Clark said. “It was a fairly soft goal, a typical early season goal. I thought we got into the game quite nicely after that. It made us really concentrate right up to the end of the game. Playing the whole 90 minutes was good for us.”
Marquette later went on to drop a 1-0 decision to the co-champion Hoosiers, but Clark had nothing but praise for the formal BIG EAST rival.
“They’re just a hardworking, well-organized team,” Clark said. “It was good win, because they’re a tough team. I was very happy with the result.”
It was an ideal start to the season for Brown, a fifth-year senior who started 38 games as a sophomore and junior but started just 3 last year as a senior. Firmly entrenched in a starting role once again, Brown seems primed for a career year.
“He had a wonderful weekend,” Clark said. “I’ve never seen Leon work as hard as he is at the moment. He’s very mobile, very dangerous. If he keeps this up, he’ll be very valuable to us.”
Neither Brown nor his teammates were able to draw blood against Georgetown on Sunday afternoon, but Irish goalkeeper Patrick Wall was brilliant, and the squads battled to a 0-0 tie. The Irish dominated the match statistically, besting the Hoyas 23-9 in shots and 8-3 in shots on goal. Clark maintained that the game was more even than the numbers indicate.
“Statistically we had the better game, but to be honest with you they had some very good chances too,” Clark said. “It was a game we could’ve won, but we could’ve just as easily lost. It was just a great event for college soccer, a fantastic match between two very, very good teams. Both teams played very well.”
The 0-0 draw marked the 14th career shutout for Wall, a graduate student who played every minute in goal for the Irish last season. The veteran often serves as an extension of the coaching staff on the field.
“He’s just got a great soccer brain,” Clark said. “He’s like a coach at the back. He’s terrific at knowing when to come off his line and when to stay put. Pat just does all the things you expect a fifth year senior to do.”
Clark was pleased with his squad’s performance as a whole, and happy that his players successfully defended their tournament title. But his mind is already focusing on this weekend’s slate.
“We’ll take it,” Clark said. “It was nice to win the tournament, but I think we’ve already moved on from that one.”
About Irish United
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDSoccer: 🗒🖊@kateeoconnorr and @sammifisherr talked to Goshen's Write on Sports camp about their soccer career and role models. Keep a… 6 days ago
- 🗒🖊@kateeoconnorr and @sammifisherr talked to Goshen's Write on Sports camp about their soccer career and role model… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- RT @46Sports: Nice story today by my man @tnoieNDI on @brooke_vandyck skipping her senior year for @PennGirlsSoccer to play for @NDSoccer… 1 week ago
- Great time viewing the game today with all these soccer fans!! twitter.com/mattcashore/st… 3 days ago
- RT @NDAthEquipment: Delivery day ☝🏻 in the 📚 29 pallets ✔️ What will day ✌🏻 bring? 🤔 #TeamUA @UnderArmour https://t.co/SzBfoJ0vKe 1 week ago
- RT @SaintLouisFC: We need to make a quick introduction: We've signed Saint Louis FC Academy U19 forward Jack Lynn on a USL Academy contract… 1 week ago