May 22, 2014, 11:16 PM EDT
For the first time in program history, a former Notre Dame men’s soccer player was selected to the 23-man roster for the United States Men’s National Team ahead of the 2014 World Cup. It was announced on Thursday afternoon (almost a week earlier than most predicted) by USMNT manager Jürgen Klinsmann that 2009 Notre Dame graduate Matt Besler would be a member of the squad for this June’s events in Brazil.
Besler, the first student-athlete in Irish men’s soccer history to cop both first-team All-America and first-team Academic All-America honors during his career, is predicted to be a member of the starting XI along the United States’ backline. His technical skills set Besler apart from many of the members of the 23-man roster, giving him the inside track at the center back position.
Besler played in 90 games while at Notre Dame, starting 83, and tallied five goals in those…
View original post 247 more words
About Irish United
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- A big time road showdown awaits the Irish in Charlottesville! ⚽️ at No. 1 Virginia 🗓️ Sunday, Oct. 20 🏟 Klockner… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 12 hours ago
- Working towards the weekend 🔜 No. 1 Virginia #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/QfHYJnpDAY 1 day ago
- RT @NDSoccer: How well do you think you know the @ndsoccer team? Check out part one of our whiteboard challenge featuring @CamrynReinoD, @… 2 days ago
- FINAL | ND 1 - VT 2 Irish fall on the road to Virginia Tech. We are back in action at 7 p.m. at Alumni Stadium on… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- 80' | ND 1 - VT 2 VT scores on a counter off a corner to take its first lead of the night. 📺: ACCNX 💻:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- 67' | ND 1 - VT 1 HUGE SAVE! VT is given a free kick on the edge of the box and it sends a shot on target but Turn… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago