May 22, 2014, 11:16 PM EDT
Originally posted on Fighting Irish Blog:
For the first time in program history, a former Notre Dame men’s soccer player was selected to the 23-man roster for the United States Men’s National Team ahead of the 2014 World Cup. It was announced on Thursday afternoon (almost a week earlier than most predicted) by USMNT manager Jürgen Klinsmann that 2009 Notre Dame graduate Matt Besler would be a member of the squad for this June’s events in Brazil.
Besler, the first student-athlete in Irish men’s soccer history to cop both first-team All-America and first-team Academic All-America honors during his career, is predicted to be a member of the starting XI along the United States’ backline. His technical skills set Besler apart from many of the members of the 23-man roster, giving him the inside track at the center back position.
Besler played in 90 games while at Notre Dame, starting 83, and tallied five goals in those…
View original 247 more words
About Irish United
- Baseball. Irish And Hoosiers Renew Series Tuesday Night At Victory Field In Indianapolis
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Kavanagh Cops ACC Offensive Player of the Week Honors
- Softball. Koerner Slugs Her Way To ACC Player Of The Week Recognition
- M. Tennis. Irish Extra: Irish Men's Doubles Pairing Boasts All-Star Potential
- M. Lacrosse. IRISH EXTRA: Fans Mob Arlotta Stadium Turf After Epic Irish Victory
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Hands Out Team Awards
- W. Lacrosse. No. 10 Notre Dame Falls to No. 14 Louisville, 10-8
- Softball. #25 Irish Roll Over Syracuse 12-0 In Five For 23rd Straight Win
- W. Tennis. No. 33 Notre Dame Falls To No. 23 Duke, 4-1
- Baseball. No. 25 Irish Split With Wolfpack Saturday; Clinch ACC Series
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Congratulations to our freshmen who received their @NDMonogram letter jackets tonight! http://t.co/Zgwog0OPdP 5 hours ago
- Your Golden Boot and Golden Glove winners: Taylor Klawunder and @LexiNicholas1!! http://t.co/F5WYZAIRNU 8 hours ago
- The winners of the 2015 Spring 4v4 tournament: Dark Delights! http://t.co/1JTIWkqNp7 8 hours ago
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.