May 13, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
It was a huge week on and off the pitch for Irish alums as the MLS season continues to roll on and the United States Men’s National Team manager, Jurgen Klinsmann, inches towards his final roster for the 2014 World Cup.
First off, let’s congratulate Matt Besler for being named to the United States Men’s National Team 30-man preliminary roster ahead of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil in a few months. The roster will be whittled down to 23 names by June 2nd.
As we move on to the MLS, there is no other place to start but with Harrison Shipp and the Chicago Fire. The 2013 MAC-Hermann Trophy finalist not only scored the first goal in his professional career, but his first hat trick as well. Check out his three goals below:
Did we mention he also picked up an assist? (see below)
Continuing on to other alums, after being drafted by the Columbus Crew after the 2012 season, Ryan Finley was recently traded to Chivas USA and saw his first action in MLS play this past weekend, subbing in in the final segment of a 3-1 victory.
Justin Morrow played the full 90 minutes at left back in a 2-1 victory for Toronto FC last Wednesday.
Aaron Maund once again played well in his center back position for Real Salt Lake in a 5-2 victory over the Houstan Dynamo.
In a game that pitted a pair of alums, Besler’s Sporting KC squad defeated Jeb Brovsky’s Montreal Impact team 3-0.
This game was not without a pair of fantastic plays by each of the players. Let’s first look at Brovsky’s fantastic save of a sure-fire goal from his defender position and then take a glance at Besler’s long throw in that resulted in a penalty kick.
Dillon Powers subbed in for the Colorado Rapids in the 74th minute, already trailing 2-0. He would be on the field for the Rapids lone goal, but couldn’t bring them all the way back in a loss to Finley’s Chivas USA squad.
About Irish United
- Monogram Club. Deceased Members Of The Irish Football Family To Be Honored Saturday
- Football. New NCAA Ruling Shortens Football Pre-Game Festivities
- M. Tennis. Irish Tennis Legend Jimmy Evert Dies At 91
- W. Soccer. Roccaro Named Senior CLASS Candidate
- Football. A Childhood Dream Becomes Reality
- W. Basketball. Irish Development Plan Leads To WNBA Success
- M. Soccer. Menâ€™s Soccer Establishes Itself With Exclamation
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Hockey Alums Host NHL Youth Clinic
- General News. CoachMePlus Announces Partnership with Notre Dame Athletics
- Football. Always 1 For The Gipper
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Looking forward to a great opening weekend for Irish soccer at Alumni Stadium! twitter.com/FightingIrish/… 9 hours ago
- Irish center back selected as @ACCMSoccer defender and @TopDrawerSoccer Player of the Week ntrda.me/1JMWTTM http://t.co/v7sJPjSsAp 14 hours ago
- Our home opener is this weekend! Do you have your tickets? Ticket Link —> bit.ly/1EyX4Sm #NDvUSF http://t.co/RidjbJ6fUz 1 day ago