May 13, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
It was a huge week on and off the pitch for Irish alums as the MLS season continues to roll on and the United States Men’s National Team manager, Jurgen Klinsmann, inches towards his final roster for the 2014 World Cup.
First off, let’s congratulate Matt Besler for being named to the United States Men’s National Team 30-man preliminary roster ahead of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil in a few months. The roster will be whittled down to 23 names by June 2nd.
As we move on to the MLS, there is no other place to start but with Harrison Shipp and the Chicago Fire. The 2013 MAC-Hermann Trophy finalist not only scored the first goal in his professional career, but his first hat trick as well. Check out his three goals below:
Did we mention he also picked up an assist? (see below)
Continuing on to other alums, after being drafted by the Columbus Crew after the 2012 season, Ryan Finley was recently traded to Chivas USA and saw his first action in MLS play this past weekend, subbing in in the final segment of a 3-1 victory.
Justin Morrow played the full 90 minutes at left back in a 2-1 victory for Toronto FC last Wednesday.
Aaron Maund once again played well in his center back position for Real Salt Lake in a 5-2 victory over the Houstan Dynamo.
In a game that pitted a pair of alums, Besler’s Sporting KC squad defeated Jeb Brovsky’s Montreal Impact team 3-0.
This game was not without a pair of fantastic plays by each of the players. Let’s first look at Brovsky’s fantastic save of a sure-fire goal from his defender position and then take a glance at Besler’s long throw in that resulted in a penalty kick.
Dillon Powers subbed in for the Colorado Rapids in the 74th minute, already trailing 2-0. He would be on the field for the Rapids lone goal, but couldn’t bring them all the way back in a loss to Finley’s Chivas USA squad.
About Irish United
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDSoccer: Welcome to Notre Dame! ☘️ Our first round of incoming freshmen arrived on campus this weekend to begin the summer bridge pro… 12 hours ago
- Welcome to Notre Dame! ☘️ Our first round of incoming freshmen arrived on campus this weekend to begin the summer… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 22 hours ago
- Big shoutout to @Sflores317 on her first career start last night for @SkyBlueFC! She started on the back line and… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: This #FathersDay, we're proud to honor all the dads who have supported us, cheered us, loved us. Thank you. #GoIrish… 1 day ago
- RT @LFCUSA: Let's talk about tix, baby 🎵 Less than FOUR HOURS LEFT to get up to 25% off select tickets for our US pre-season tour matches… 1 week ago
- Congratulations to @Keagan_1 on having the save of the week! #GoIrish☘ twitter.com/USLLeagueTwo/s… 1 week ago