Oct 28, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
The MLS regular season came to an end yesterday after 34 matches were played over the last few months. Six former Irish men’s soccer student-athletes will begin playing for the MLS Cup this week.
In the MLS Playoffs, the wild card match that pits the fourth and fifth seeds is a one match, winner take all format. While the Conference Semifinals and Finals are a two-leg aggregate scoring series, ending in a one match MLS Cup Final. Click here to see the MLS Cup bracket.
Matt Besler (2005-08)
Sporting Kansas City • Defender
SEMIFINAL MATCH (first leg) • 11/2 • at New England • 8:00 p.m. (ET) • MLSLive
In his fifth year with Sporting KC, Besler helped the squad to the second-most points in the MLS (17-10-7), just one point shy of Supporters Shield winner, the New York Red Bulls. A MLS All-Star, Besler has started all 23 matches that he has played and has tallied two assists. Besler has spent a significant amount of time with the U.S. Senior National Team, helping the squad to the Gold Cup title and the top spot in the hexagonal for qualification to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Since picking up his first National team cap in January, Besler has gone onto total 12 total caps with the U.S. and the team is 8-1-2 with him in the starting lineup. We caught up with Besler in the summer, you can read that story by click here.
Besler’s Sporting KC Bio
Jeb Brovsky (2007-10)
Montreal Impact • Defender
WILD CARD MATCH • 10/31 • at Houston • 8:00 p.m. (ET) • TSN
In his second season in Montreal Brovsky played in 30 matches, starting 29. On the season, Brovsky has accumulated two goals and two assists, helping the Impact to a fifth-place finish in the Eastern Conference after a 14-13-7 regular season record.
Brovsky’s Montreal Impact Bio
WATCH BROVSKY’S FIRST MLS GOAL THIS SEASON
Bilal Duckett (2007-10)
New England Revolution • Defender
SEMIFINAL MATCH (first leg) • 11/2 • vs. Sporting KC • 8:00 p.m. (ET) • MLSLive
After being signed by New England in February, Duckett started one game this season. The New England Revolution notched the third-seed in the Eastern Conference after finishing the season with a 14-11-9 record.
Duckett’s New England Revolution Bio
Aaron Maund (2008-11)
Real Salt Lake • Defender
SEMIFINAL MATCH (first leg) • 11/3 • at LA Galaxy • 9:00 p.m. (ET) • ESPN
After being traded from Toronto FC to Real Salt Lake during the offseason, Maund started all three matches that he played. Real Salt Lake secured the second spot in the Western Conference after going 16-10-8 during the regular season.
Maund’s Real Salt Lake Bio
Ryan Miller (2003-07)
Portland Timbers • Defender
SEMIFINAL MATCH (first leg) • 11/2 • at TBA • 10:00 p.m. (ET) • NBCSN
After joining Portland during the season, has played in seven games, starting four. Has battled through injuries in the latter half of the campaign. Portland finished with a 14-5-15 record, which secured the Timbers the top spot in the Western Conference.
Miller’s Portland Timbers Bio
PATH TO PORTLAND: Getting to know Ryan Miller
Dillon Powers (2009-12)
Colorado Rapids • Midfielder
WILD CARD MATCH • 10/30 • at Seattle • 10:30 p.m. (ET) • MLSLive
After being selected by Colorado in the first round of the 2013 MLS SuperDraft (11th overall pick) he has gone on to be a front-runner for Major League Soccer’s rookie of the year award after scoring five goals and notching six assists in 30 matches played (starting 29). Powers was honored by the Rapids as the team MVP during the squad’s yearly awards banquet a few weeks ago. The Colorado Rapids snuck into the playoffs in the fifth and final position in the Western Conference after going 14-11-9 during the regular season. Was named to the “24 Under 24” list by the MLS after his stellar performance this season.
Powers’ Colorado Rapids Bio
POWERS’ 24 UNDER 24 VIDEO
About Irish United
- Football. Pride and Resiliency Fueled 1970 Notre Dame Football Team
- Football. Jack Chevigny: Gridiron Star and Battlefield Hero
- Monogram Club. Catching Up With The Monogram Club
- Cross Country. Keys to the Race: Crusader Open
- W. Volleyball. Jim McLaughlin: New Irish Volleyball Boss Is All About the Numbers
- M. Soccer. Keys To The Game: South Florida
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Western Michigan
- Monogram Club. Deceased Members Of The Irish Football Family To Be Honored Saturday
- Football. New NCAA Ruling Shortens Football Pre-Game Festivities
- M. Tennis. Irish Tennis Legend Jimmy Evert Dies At 91
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Halftime stats here at Western Michigan. Irish up 1-0 off Gilbertson Goal! #GoIrish #NDvWMU http://t.co/RahogjwdUe 7 minutes ago
- 41' GOAL Gilbertson buries her third goal of the season into the right corner from the top of the box. Irish up 1-0! http://t.co/Ihp3KjYoBV 12 minutes ago
- 23' @glorykwilliams with a low shot, but it's guided away by keeper Stephanie Heber 37 minutes ago
- RT @gamedayND: Head to Alumni Stadium after the rally to see @NDMenSoccer vs USF at 7:30 pm. Tix will be available at the gate! http://t.co… 1 hour ago
- GAME DAY! #ComeByAlumni for our home opener at 7:30pm vs USF! PREVIEW: ntrda.me/1fZ7Nd7 #NDvUSF http://t.co/3V6Q31CamG 6 hours ago
- Looking forward to a great opening weekend for Irish soccer at Alumni Stadium! twitter.com/FightingIrish/… 1 day ago