Oct 23, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT
If you want to get kids from the ages of seven to 10 excited about playing soccer, bring out the Notre Dame men’s soccer team— or at least that was the consensus of the girls on the U9 Jr. Irish team that I coach as they were joined by the Notre Dame men’s soccer team for their last practice of the year.
That’s right. As the rest of the school is away and in search of warm destinations this fall break, the men of the Notre Dame soccer team are here at school hard at work both on the field and in the community. On Tuesday, October 22, the men took time away from their busy practice schedule to get involved with the youth of South Bend and host a clinic for the Jr. Irish soccer club, a local soccer entity for kids of all ages.
Throughout the clinic, both players and coaches from the Notre Dame men’s soccer team set up and led the club through traditional soccer drills that they do everyday in their own practices. The kids were all laughs and smiles as they participated in drills with the team such as “Barcelona” and an Irish favorite,”Boss Says’, a form of “Simon Says” with head coach Bobby Clark.
The clinic was a huge success; the kids learned new moves, had fun and left the practice much better than they were when they came into it. One girl even came up to me at the end and said, “That was the best practice ever Coach!”
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Slaggert And St. Cyr Win Gold With Team USA U18’s
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish ACC Championship First Round: Pittsburgh
- M. Tennis. Hagar Snares ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- Baseball. Crusaders Venture To The Eck
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Goals! Goals! Goals! See all of the goals we scored this Spring & come to Alumni on Friday to catch us vs. Mexico!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- Thank you to every one who gave and voted for us on #NDday! We ended up 4th in Athletics with 669 votes! Thank you! notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/wome… 6 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: NCAA Champion🏆 3 Olympic Gold Medals🥇🥇🥇 World Cup Champion🏆 ☘️@Shannon Boxx (‘99 ⚽️) is our spring Monogram Jacket Ceremon… 6 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Hey SA's, want to make the most out of your opportunities at ND? Come talk to @NDMenSoccer alum, Grant Van De Casteele Th… 2 hours ago
- A HUGE thank you to everyone who donated and voted for Men's Soccer this past week! We finished second in athletics… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Ever wonder how our 2017 O.S.C.A.R.S hosts are preparing for the show on Thur, May 4th? Cross training of course! 🍀⚽️➡️🏒… 5 hours ago