Oct 23, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT
If you want to get kids from the ages of seven to 10 excited about playing soccer, bring out the Notre Dame men’s soccer team— or at least that was the consensus of the girls on the U9 Jr. Irish team that I coach as they were joined by the Notre Dame men’s soccer team for their last practice of the year.
That’s right. As the rest of the school is away and in search of warm destinations this fall break, the men of the Notre Dame soccer team are here at school hard at work both on the field and in the community. On Tuesday, October 22, the men took time away from their busy practice schedule to get involved with the youth of South Bend and host a clinic for the Jr. Irish soccer club, a local soccer entity for kids of all ages.
Throughout the clinic, both players and coaches from the Notre Dame men’s soccer team set up and led the club through traditional soccer drills that they do everyday in their own practices. The kids were all laughs and smiles as they participated in drills with the team such as “Barcelona” and an Irish favorite,”Boss Says’, a form of “Simon Says” with head coach Bobby Clark.
The clinic was a huge success; the kids learned new moves, had fun and left the practice much better than they were when they came into it. One girl even came up to me at the end and said, “That was the best practice ever Coach!”
About Irish United
- Track & Field. Harris Named Academic All-American
- Swimming & Diving. Smart Swimmers' Success Saluted
- Track & Field. Irish Compete at USA Track & Field Championships
- General News. Fighting Irish Media Earns Five National Awards
- Fencing. Stabrawa Named Fencing's Director of Operations
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2017-18 Schedule
- M. Soccer. Irish Release 2017 Soccer Slate
- M. Ice Hockey. Peeke And St. Cyr Invited To USA Camp
- Softball. Bazos To Represent Greece At Euro Championship
- Track & Field. Father’s Day: Running In The Aragon Family
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #8-Junior Shannon Hendricks invites Special Olympics team to a day with @NDSoccer. htt… 18 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: We're proud to celebrate the 45th anniversary of Title IX, which was signed into law on this date in 1972. #TitleIXat45 #… 21 hours ago
- RT @MikAoki9: She was a force in the @Big12Conference. Now she helps lead @NDSoccer be a force in @theACC #RecruitingTravelEducates https:… 2 days ago
- Our 2017 gauntlet has been released! Get your season tickets now! 🎟️ ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomme… https://t.co/l1LRVAX3o7 2 days ago
- RT @NDTIX: Season passes currently on sale for @NDvolleyball and @NDSoccer/@NDMenSoccer! Take advantage of early bird discount! https://t.c… 2 weeks ago
- Summer is just around the corner! Register now for one of our elite soccer camps! 🌞⚽️ Registration ➡️ campscui.active.com/orgs/Universit… 3 weeks ago