Oct 2, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
Notre Dame women’s soccer head coach Randy Waldrum has been itching at the opportunity to interact with members of the Irish community through writing blogs during the Irish soccer season. You can read his second post below. Enjoy…
We had two outstanding performances this past week, especially on Thursday night vs. #21 Maryland. We won the game 5-0 in one of the most complete games we’ve played in the past couple of years. We made the move to put Cari Roccaro up front as a forward, as we had been struggling to create things offensively the past few games. She came up really big for us with three goals on the night. Not only her goal output, but her pressing and work rate became contagious and it transferred to the entire team.
Lauren Bohaboy, although she didn’t score, was outstanding as well. She helped set up two of the goals just with her defensive pressure in the forward position. Our midfield played extremely well and our back line and goalkeeping was very good against a really good Maryland team. Most importantly though was the fact that as we substituted players, everyone kept the level of play very high. We got great performances from Cindy Pineda, Rilka Noel, Anna Maria Gilbertson and many others.
Sunday was probably one of our more dominant games, especially defensively. We didn’t concede a shot on goal until late in the game when we made many substitutions. I think Pittsburgh ended up with a total of three shots and only one that was on goal. We won on Sunday, 3-0, but missed on many good scoring opportunities, racking up over 30 shots for the day.
We have a huge game tomorrow (Thursday @ 7pm) at home vs. #11 Wake Forest. They are very good, having a couple of players on their team that play for my U-23 United States Women’s National Team. Katie Stengel is an extremely dangerous forward for them and their goalkeeper Aubrey Bledsoe is very solid as well. I look for this to be a very important game for us and one that we are going to have to be at our best.
I’m also asking that our students please come out and support us, even if it rains! I’m still dreaming that I will see the day that our students come out in force, marching from some part of campus over to Alumni Stadium. I see this every week in the MLS with the Seattle Sounders and the Portland Timbers. It’s so moving to see, and so fun to be a part of. Who knows, maybe the march to Alumni should start at Eddy Street Commons with the fans gathering over there and then coming over to our game. If any of our students have any thoughts on how to get more support or how to make this type environment happen, please email me your thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m eager to hear from you on any way that we can make the games more exciting for you.
In the meantime, thanks so much to those students and local fans who have come out and supported our team. We are doing our very best to put a great product on the field. Of course we want to win our fourth NCAA National Championship, but most importantly we want to make you and this great University proud!
About Irish United
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
- Track. Irish Close Record-Setting Day at Baylor
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Earn No. 4 Seed In ACC Tournament
- M. Golf. Golfers Conclude ACCs in 10th
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish Football ‘Process’ Ongoing
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN. Vote for Women's Soccer on #NDday before it's over! 10 minutes! notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/wome… 2 hours ago
- We are tied for 3rd! Help us pass Swimming & Diving.. or, better yet, can you help us catch Men's Soccer?! #NDday… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- We are only 3 votes away from 3rd place!! vote! Vote! Vote! notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/wome… https://t.co/spdpRnLkxO 7 hours ago
- There are 1⃣0⃣ more hours until voting closes! Get your votes in for men's soccer! #NDday ➡️ notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/mens… https://t.co/UeN8u8scgf 12 hours ago
- We're in the home stretch and we need your votes! Help men's soccer reach that #1 spot! #NDday ➡️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: Voting is now open! Your $10 donation and votes for men's soccer can help us receive a piece of $1 million! #NDday https… 2 days ago