Sep 23, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
Notre Dame women’s soccer head coach Randy Waldrum has been itching at the opportunity to interact with members of the Irish community through writing blogs during the Irish soccer season. You can read his first port below. Enjoy…
Well, Irish women’s soccer has been in season for about a month now, so I thought it would be time to share some of my thoughts on the season so far. I am extremely happy with where we are as a team right now. Being 7-1 and ranked in the top-five in the country is a great start for a very young group of players. Most probably don’t realize but we have only been starting five juniors or seniors in our lineup. The other six players have been freshman and sophomores with our depth mostly coming from those two classes as well.
I’ve been really impressed of course by the play of freshman Morgan Andrews. She is everything we thought she’d be and more. She is currently our second leading scorer while playing in the midfield for us. Another freshman sensation has been Kaela Little who has won the starting position as our goalkeeper. She and Morgan have been fantastic so far. Kaleigh Olmsted, Rilka Noel and Cindy Pineda have also done really well for us as freshman, and should continue to get more time as they gain more experience.
Elizabeth Tucker has adapted well to the change of positions, and is a threat coming forward out of the left back position. She spent her first three years as a midfielder for us. Lauren Bohaboy is having a great season so far as well as Sammy Scofield and Katie Naughton. Cari Rocarro, Mandy Laddish, along with Andrews has provided one of the best midfield tandems in the country. I think we have a chance to be really good by the end of the year.
We hit a rough spot early with a very lackluster performance against #2 UCLA at home, losing 1-0. However, we improved from that loss and followed it up a couple of weeks later with a win over #1 UNC 1-0 on the road in Carolina. We just need to establish a bit more consistency offensively as we move forward with the season.
Our fans can get a great idea of what our team is really like by watching the video below of our road trip to Carolina to play NC State and North Carolina. I think this gives one a good idea of the life of a student athlete, as well as the craziness of some of our kids! We had an hour lightening delay at NC State, and it was extremely entertaining watching them in the locker room waiting on the game.
If the remainder of the season goes as the first month has, then we are all in for a great ride! What we really want to create is a monster home field advantage with our students and fans coming out in force! I dream of seeing the day that we can put 3,000 fans in our stadium with the craziness of the fans in Portland or Seattle! The MLS has created a great fan base in these two cities! I have been so appreciative so far of the students that have turned out to support us, as well as the local community. I can’t tell you how much it helps our players to play in front of a crowd, how much it helps with home field advantage especially when you harass the opposition goalkeeper, and it’s impressive for our recruits to see when we have a packed stadium. So thanks again to those who have supported us so far, and hopefully to those who will come out to see what it’s all about in the future! We have the best student body in the country, and ND Women’s Soccer simply wants to make you proud!
About Irish United
- W. Basketball. Women's Basketball Nominated for Three ESPYS
- Track & Field. Irish Set To Compete At USA Track & Field Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Announce Incoming Class
- W. Basketball. Lili Thompson Drafted by Harlem Globetrotters
- Track & Field. Nuguse Wins 1500m at USATF Junior Outdoor Championships
- Baseball. Unspoken Bond: Daily & Podkul Connect At Notre Dame
- M. Tennis. Andrews Named Irish Assistant Coach
- W. Volleyball. Jim McLaughlin Resigns from Volleyball Post Due to Health Reasons
- Baseball. Vierling & Podkul Named All-Region
- M. Lacrosse. Three Former Irish Standouts To Play In MLL All-Star Game
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- From being my first soccer coach, to supporting me at Notre Dame, thank you for everything Dad. You’re the best! Lo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- Thank you for always believing in my dreams, you are my superstar 🌟 Love you Dad! -@Aniro20 Happy #FathersDay to… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- Wondering what the Irish do when school’s out? Whether they’re abroad, at home, studying, competing, relaxing, or e… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- On this #FlagDay, we throw back to our match with Mexico at Alumni in April ☘️⚽️🇺🇸🇲🇽 https://t.co/VVjYhh0h6Y 6 days ago
- The new indoor facility is looking good! Excited for Fall 2019 when it’s all ready to go! #GoIrish https://t.co/HGKZNp34o9 1 week ago
- RT @SportingKC: The Besler brothers faced each other last night for the first time in their @MLS careers. This will be a jersey swap they r… 1 week ago