Jul 31, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Philip Tuttle, a 2010 Notre Dame graduate, is currently the #1 choice for USL Pro side Wilmington Hammerheads. Prior to his time in Wilmington, Tuttle spent a season with the Harrisburg City Islanders after being drafted by the San Jose Earthquakes. At Notre Dame, Tuttle, appeared in 33 games, starting 29 and posting a 0.94 goals against average. Tuttle served as the lone captain in his final season at Notre Dame in 2010.
What is your favorite part about being a professional soccer player?
Being able to wake up every day and know you are doing what you love and getting paid to do it. My dad always said, “If you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life.” And that holds true for my life now and after soccer as well.
How has playing at Notre Dame prepared you for being a Pro?
Bobby and the ND staff run a professional program at the collegiate level. I think if many of the ND players were able to see how many professional clubs were run they would realize, even more so, how professional the ND environment is. Whether it’s preparing for game day or the day-to-day training routine, I learned everything I still do now back at ND.
Who’s the best player you’ve ever played against?
While stepping on the field against Beckham was a thrill, for me it’s more like, who is the best player you ever played with? Being able to play with the Redbulls last year, before I tore my ACL, and play with Thierry was something special. From being in the locker room with him, to the field, or out to dinner, any time you get to play with a childhood idol it’s something you’ll always remember.
Go-to pregame song?
Not a big pregame music guy. As a keeper, I try to remain focused and keep all my emotions in check before I step out onto the field.
What do you do in your spare time?
As a Christian, I spend a lot of time reading the word of God and praying. For me there’s really nothing better.
Favorite Notre Dame memory?
Boss would always tell us that once you leave this campus coming back will never be the same. And for me, I haven’t been back to campus since I graduated. But the memories I have will always be of the guys. How you spend some much time with the same people every day working towards a common goal. When you’re doing that and there’s no money involved, but you’re playing for the love of the game, that’s really what it’s all about.
What do you plan on doing when you finish playing professionally?
You never know how long you’ll get to play, but I’m thankful I’ve been given the opportunity. I know the lifespan of a keeper is much longer, but at the end of the day I’ll play until the passion runs out or my legs do.
Once I’m finished, I’m going to head into full time ministry. I have a passion for working with people and allowing the Lord to use me to help change the world. At the end of the day for me, it’s not about what you did for yourself, but what you did for others, that makes you who you are.
Favorite pregame meal?
I always love spaghetti and meatballs. There’s just nothing like it.
Any game day superstitions?
No, I’m not the superstitious type. I know where my strength lies.
Advice you’d give a college player?
Pursue your dreams. Don’t give up, but be realistic. Whatever you think you know about playing professionally or whatever else you might want to do, once you’re doing it you’re perception of it will change and it might not be all you thought it was going to be. But whatever you’re going to pursue, just remember to enjoy the journey.
About Irish United
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Photos #5 - ACC CHAMPS! @NDSoccer took down Miami 2-0 at home for its 1st regular-season ACC… 1 day ago
- RT @DawnSiergiej: One of the coolest 🌈 I've ever seen. Take it as good luck while recruiting future Irish. ☘️☘️☘️ https://t.co/KSIjs43SkH 1 day ago
- RT @FIFAWWC: 9⃣0⃣mins. ✅ 5⃣7⃣2⃣9⃣metres. ✅ 🏔️👩⚽️Mount Kilimanjaro. ✅ What an amazing achievement @EPFinitiative. 📸 facebook.com/pg/fifawomensw… h… 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇺🇸FOR THE RED, WHITE & BLUE TWO @NDMenSoccer alums to play for US Men's National Team in 2017 Gold Cup. 👀@ussoccer htt… 21 hours ago
- Congratulations to ND soccer alums @MattBesler & @justmorrow for being named to the 23-man @ussoccer 2017 Gold Cup… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Our 2017 gauntlet has been released! Get your season tickets now! 🎟️ ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomme… https://t.co/l1LRVAX3o7 6 days ago