Jun 28, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
Justin Morrow (’09) currently plays in the MLS for the San Jose Earthquakes. He was the starting left back on the 2012 MLS All-Star squad that defeated Chelsea from the English Premier League, 3-2. Morrow started all 33 matches during the 2012 campaign and notched one goal and four assists for San Jose. In his 2013 season, Morrow has tallied 1 goal and 1 assist in 16 matches and is a 2013 MLS All-Star nominee.
Morrow appeared in 89 career matches, including 64 starts, from 2006-09 at Notre Dame. He tallied 21 points on seven goals and seven assists with the Fighting Irish. Morrow earned second team all-BIG EAST honors as a senior.
What is your favorite part about being a professional soccer player?
My favorite part about being a professional soccer player is traveling to all the different stadiums. It’s really cool to see how soccer is growing in the United States and the stadiums are a big part of that growth.
How has playing at Notre Dame prepared you for being a Pro?
The disciplined atmosphere surrounding Notre Dame soccer prepared me to transition into playing professional soccer. The rigorous schedule I had to manage at Notre Dame developed lifestyle skills that carry over into professional soccer. The coaching staff also did a great job of teaching the team the tactical side of the game.
Who’s the best player you’ve ever played against?
In 2012 I played against Chelsea who had just won the European Champions League. Frank Lampard, Michael Essien and John Terry all played but I was most impressed by John Obi Mikel.
Go-to pregame song?
Enter Sandman by Metallica
What do you do in your spare time?
I like to read in my spare time. I usually don’t choose anything complicated or dense but something that will keep my interest. The last book I read was Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success by Phil Jackson. In the book he talks about the differences between coaching Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant.
Favorite Notre Dame memory?
My favorite Notre Dame memories are hanging around the dorm with my roommates/friends. No one memory stands out in particular but we always had a great time joking with each other, playing games, watching movies, etc.
What do you plan on doing when you finish playing professionally?
I graduated from Notre Dame with my degree in Finance so I would like to use it when I get done playing soccer. Hopefully something in Investment Banking.
Favorite pregame meal?
I usually go with a simple plate of pasta for my pregame meals.
Any game day superstitions?
There’s nothing I do before every single game but once the team starts winning I try not to change things up. Whether it’s eating the same meals, sleeping the same amount or listening to the same music before the game, I try not to change anything during a win streak!
Advice you’d give a college player?
An athlete’s career is winding with many peaks and valleys. Cherish the experience because the only guarantee is that it will not last forever.
About Irish United
- Fencing. Irish Remain On Top Of NCAA Championship Leaderboard
- M. Lacrosse. Irish And Buckeyes Ready For Top-Five Matchup On Saturday
- Baseball. Irish & Noles To Play Two Friday
- Baseball. Irish Host Florida State For Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. 200 Free Relay Earn All- American Honors in Second Day of Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- Softball. Irish Welcome Virginia Tech For Key ACC Series
- Fencing. Irish Surge Into First Place On Day One At NCAA Championship
- Fencing. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Columbia Top Standings After Day 1 of NCAA Championships
- Football. DeShone Kizer: Another Day, Another Impression
- Track. Keys To The Meet: Raleigh Relays
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- What a beautiful day for some soccer! Excited to kick off our Spring season tonight vs. Purdue! ☀️⚽️☘️ https://t.co/Vwa2PTCHXt 5 hours ago
- SCHEDULE CHANGE! Our first spring game vs. Purdue has been moved to Friday @ 7:30pm! We will play on LaBar Practice… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Good Luck to Sandra Yu as she heads to Portland for camp with the US U-23s! und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @NDSoccer: What a beautiful day for some soccer! Excited to kick off our Spring season tonight vs. Purdue! ☀️⚽️☘️ https://t.co/Vwa2PTCHXt 3 hours ago
- Irish fans, get your tickets now to watch us play this Saturday in the 2017 College Challenge in Pontiac, MI! 🎟️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
- Rounding out St. Patty's Day and spring break with a fantastic dinner at @JamesJoycePubMD! Thanks for having us!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago