Jun 28, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
Justin Morrow (’09) currently plays in the MLS for the San Jose Earthquakes. He was the starting left back on the 2012 MLS All-Star squad that defeated Chelsea from the English Premier League, 3-2. Morrow started all 33 matches during the 2012 campaign and notched one goal and four assists for San Jose. In his 2013 season, Morrow has tallied 1 goal and 1 assist in 16 matches and is a 2013 MLS All-Star nominee.
Morrow appeared in 89 career matches, including 64 starts, from 2006-09 at Notre Dame. He tallied 21 points on seven goals and seven assists with the Fighting Irish. Morrow earned second team all-BIG EAST honors as a senior.
What is your favorite part about being a professional soccer player?
My favorite part about being a professional soccer player is traveling to all the different stadiums. It’s really cool to see how soccer is growing in the United States and the stadiums are a big part of that growth.
How has playing at Notre Dame prepared you for being a Pro?
The disciplined atmosphere surrounding Notre Dame soccer prepared me to transition into playing professional soccer. The rigorous schedule I had to manage at Notre Dame developed lifestyle skills that carry over into professional soccer. The coaching staff also did a great job of teaching the team the tactical side of the game.
Who’s the best player you’ve ever played against?
In 2012 I played against Chelsea who had just won the European Champions League. Frank Lampard, Michael Essien and John Terry all played but I was most impressed by John Obi Mikel.
Go-to pregame song?
Enter Sandman by Metallica
What do you do in your spare time?
I like to read in my spare time. I usually don’t choose anything complicated or dense but something that will keep my interest. The last book I read was Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success by Phil Jackson. In the book he talks about the differences between coaching Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant.
Favorite Notre Dame memory?
My favorite Notre Dame memories are hanging around the dorm with my roommates/friends. No one memory stands out in particular but we always had a great time joking with each other, playing games, watching movies, etc.
What do you plan on doing when you finish playing professionally?
I graduated from Notre Dame with my degree in Finance so I would like to use it when I get done playing soccer. Hopefully something in Investment Banking.
Favorite pregame meal?
I usually go with a simple plate of pasta for my pregame meals.
Any game day superstitions?
There’s nothing I do before every single game but once the team starts winning I try not to change things up. Whether it’s eating the same meals, sleeping the same amount or listening to the same music before the game, I try not to change anything during a win streak!
Advice you’d give a college player?
An athlete’s career is winding with many peaks and valleys. Cherish the experience because the only guarantee is that it will not last forever.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Slaggert And St. Cyr Win Gold With Team USA U18’s
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish ACC Championship First Round: Pittsburgh
- M. Tennis. Hagar Snares ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- Baseball. Crusaders Venture To The Eck
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Goals! Goals! Goals! See all of the goals we scored this Spring & come to Alumni on Friday to catch us vs. Mexico!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- Thank you to every one who gave and voted for us on #NDday! We ended up 4th in Athletics with 669 votes! Thank you! notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/wome… 6 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: NCAA Champion🏆 3 Olympic Gold Medals🥇🥇🥇 World Cup Champion🏆 ☘️@Shannon Boxx (‘99 ⚽️) is our spring Monogram Jacket Ceremon… 6 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Hey SA's, want to make the most out of your opportunities at ND? Come talk to @NDMenSoccer alum, Grant Van De Casteele Th… 3 hours ago
- A HUGE thank you to everyone who donated and voted for Men's Soccer this past week! We finished second in athletics… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Ever wonder how our 2017 O.S.C.A.R.S hosts are preparing for the show on Thur, May 4th? Cross training of course! 🍀⚽️➡️🏒… 5 hours ago