Nov 21, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
Right now, the majority of college soccer players are done with their season. This means no more daily practices, endless traveling, or weekend games. In fact, they are probably headed home to visit their families for Thanksgiving.
The Irish, on the other hand, are one of the select few teams still lucky enough to be competing this holiday weekend. As everyone else heads home, they are out on the soccer field putting in extra hours of hard work all in hopes of winning a national championship.
In order to do this, the team must first defeat Florida State in its Elite Eight game this weekend. FSU, seeded #1, fully expects to beat the unranked Irish. This may seem like a bad thing, but it actually works out in our favor. While everyone is counting on a win from FSU, nobody expects anything from the Irish. In fact, they have already greatly surpassed what anyone expected of them this postseason by knocking off two seeded teams and making it to the Elite Eight. This puts all the pressure on the Seminoles to live up to the hype of their ranking.
The Irish, on the other hand, have nothing to lose and everything to gain in the next round of the tournament.
“We’re all pretty excited to show FSU what we’ve got, and I think we’re going to surprise them,” said senior captain Jazmin Hall. “We’re finally returning to the powerhouse Notre Dame team that everyone knows us as. We’re just gonna have fun with it; all the pressure in on them.”
Game on FSU. The Irish take on the Seminoles on Friday at 7:00 pm ET in Tallahassee, Fla.
About Irish United
- Cross Country. Irish Claim Runner-Up Honors at the 2015 Crusader Open
- M. Soccer. #5 Irish Blank #24 USF In Berticelli Opener
- W. Volleyball. Pirates Sweep Irish 3-0 In Friday Volleyball Action
- W. Soccer. No. 6/4 Notre Dame Draws With Western Michigan, 2-2
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball On Road At Seton Hall
- Football. Pride and Resiliency Fueled 1970 Notre Dame Football Team
- Football. Jack Chevigny: Gridiron Star and Battlefield Hero
- Monogram Club. Catching Up With The Monogram Club
- Cross Country. Keys to the Race: Crusader Open
- W. Volleyball. Jim McLaughlin: New Irish Volleyball Boss Is All About the Numbers
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Final Score vs. Western Michigan. Goals by @anna06maria and @mkdoyle4. #GoIrish #NDvWMU http://t.co/sXUjXPRoYd 7 hours ago
- 104' T. Klawunder with a chance at the top of the box, but sends it soaring over the bar. #GoIrish 7 hours ago
- Still tied at 2-2, we're heading to the second overtime period. #GoIrish 7 hours ago
- FINAL from Alumni: Next up: UAB on Sunday at 2pm. #NDvUSF http://t.co/z8rTkZFoAI 4 hours ago
- 84' - Oliver Harris re-enters the game. He replaces Blake Townes. ND still up 2-0 over USF. #NDvUSF 4 hours ago
- 74' - Hubbard with another big save. Irish still lead Bulls 2-0. #NDvUSF 4 hours ago