Nov 21, 2012, 5:37 PM EST
Right now, the majority of college soccer players are done with their season. This means no more daily practices, endless traveling, or weekend games. In fact, they are probably headed home to visit their families for Thanksgiving.
The Irish, on the other hand, are one of the select few teams still lucky enough to be competing this holiday weekend. As everyone else heads home, they are out on the soccer field putting in extra hours of hard work all in hopes of winning a national championship.
In order to do this, the team must first defeat Florida State in its Elite Eight game this weekend. FSU, seeded #1, fully expects to beat the unranked Irish. This may seem like a bad thing, but it actually works out in our favor. While everyone is counting on a win from FSU, nobody expects anything from the Irish. In fact, they have already greatly surpassed what anyone expected of them this postseason by knocking off two seeded teams and making it to the Elite Eight. This puts all the pressure on the Seminoles to live up to the hype of their ranking.
The Irish, on the other hand, have nothing to lose and everything to gain in the next round of the tournament.
“We’re all pretty excited to show FSU what we’ve got, and I think we’re going to surprise them,” said senior captain Jazmin Hall. “We’re finally returning to the powerhouse Notre Dame team that everyone knows us as. We’re just gonna have fun with it; all the pressure in on them.”
Game on FSU. The Irish take on the Seminoles on Friday at 7:00 pm ET in Tallahassee, Fla.
About Irish United
- W. Golf. Spring Season Continues For Irish Women's Golf
- M. Ice Hockey. REWIND: 2007-08 Frozen Four Run
- M. Ice Hockey. @NDHockey | Hanging With Rudy
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Welcome Richmond For Noon Faceoff On Saturday
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: ACC Championships
- Softball. #25 Irish Find Offense In Competitive Top-10 Games
- Baseball. Notre Dame Splits Doubleheader at Alamo Irish Classic
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ride Record Night Firmly Into ACC Top 5
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Vanquish Virginia Tech, 89-59
- Track & Field. Irish DMR's Highlight Day One
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: #DidYouKnow @NDMenSoccer and @NDSoccer head coaches Chad Riley and Nate Norman were roommates at Notre Dame while playin… 1 day ago
- ✅ Coached 16 all-conference selections as head coach at WMU and Liberty ✅ Competed with 13 @MLS players during time… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- The well wishes poured in via Twitter, congratulating new head coach @NDCoachNorman. Hear from fans, alumni & well… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Congratulations to another of our own, 2007 grad and four-year Monogram winner Nate Norman, the new head coach of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- Rounding out our newcomers is a midfielder from the state of Virginia. Welcome Bryan Silver! 🖋⚽️☘ https://t.co/2tXDjWIWYb 2 weeks ago
- A goalkeeper from California, Sam Guinane is the next to join the Irish! 🖋⚽️☘ https://t.co/U2jzSL842I 2 weeks ago