Nov 20, 2012, 1:10 AM EDT
Momentum is an odd thing. It cannot be captured by a mere stat sheet, cannot be measured quantitatively. It is essentially impossible to attach a value to it. Nevertheless, momentum is a factor in every sporting event. It can morph a mediocre team into a formidable one, and a very good squad into a truly great one.
The latter seems to be taking place right before our eyes, as the Irish men’s soccer team continued its winning ways with a 3-0 win over Michigan State in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Notre Dame is now in the midst of an eight game unbeaten streak, which includes three wins in the BIG EAST tournament to capture the conference crown.
The Irish had little trouble dispatching the Spartans on an unusually warm November day. First half goals by junior forward Harry Shipp and senior striker Ryan Finley gave Bobby Clark’s boys a two goal cushion at the half. Sophomore back Max Lachowecki poured in another in the 80th minute for the final score.
Notre Dame moves on to the round of sixteen, where it where it will square off against Indiana, the No. 16 overall seed in the tournament. The two teams met earlier this year in Bloomington. The Irish emerged victorious on a late goal by senior defender Grant Van De Casteele.
Indiana has had a bit more arduous trip to the third round than the Irish, as the Hoosiers squeaked by Kentucky, 1-0, in the opening round. They had an easier time with Xavier in the second round, netting four goals in an easy 4-1 win.
The Indiana offense is paced by sophomore attacker Eric Zavaleta, who has tickled the twine 16 times this season. This goal output is more than double that of any other Hoosier. Indiana’s defense is anchored by senior goalkeeper and captain Luis Soffner, who will enter the match boasting a paltry 0.82 goals against average.
Notre Dame will look to further add to its momentum on Sunday at 3:00 P.M. against the Hoosiers in Alumni Stadium.
About Irish United
- M. Tennis. Irish Duo Snag Doubles Spot AT USTA/ITA National Indoors
- W. Basketball. Ivey Promoted To Associate Head Coach
- Cross Country. Keys To The Race: ACC Championships
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Set to Host Miami and Florida State Over Weekend
- Football. Notre Dame Monogram Club: Taking the Next Steps After 100 Years
- W. Golf. Women's Golf To Close Fall Season At Landfall Tradition
- Swimming & Diving. Notre Dame Swimming & Diving Back In ACC Action Friday Versus Miami
- Monogram Club. Alan Page: 'I still have work to do'
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Guide To Miami Weekend
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Miami
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 2-0 Win v. Miami ✅ ACC Tourney Home-Field ✅ ACC REGULAR SEASON CHAMPS ✅ RECAP ➡️ ntrda.me/2eXkSnr https://t.co/nUFwgW3vkw 2 minutes ago
- RT @flrmonica5: ACC regular season CHAMPS. SO PROUD of my girlies back at ND, kicking butt! always… instagram.com/p/BMFtb7FD_Ao/ 4 minutes ago
- RT @theACC: .@NDSoccer holds the top seed for the 2016 @ACCWSoccer Championship, which gets underway Sunday, Oct. 30: https://t.co/CPuuV6et… 23 minutes ago
- Our soccer alums representing us well out there in the MLS! #IrishStrong STORY: und.com/sports/m-socce… https://t.co/tED7UnkmLH 1 day ago
- Irish drop tonight's hard fought match 1-0. Next game Friday night against UNC https://t.co/ebfkDVehwG 2 days ago
- 90' - Townes shot from outside sails high over goal 2 days ago