Nov 20, 2012, 1:10 AM EDT
Momentum is an odd thing. It cannot be captured by a mere stat sheet, cannot be measured quantitatively. It is essentially impossible to attach a value to it. Nevertheless, momentum is a factor in every sporting event. It can morph a mediocre team into a formidable one, and a very good squad into a truly great one.
The latter seems to be taking place right before our eyes, as the Irish men’s soccer team continued its winning ways with a 3-0 win over Michigan State in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Notre Dame is now in the midst of an eight game unbeaten streak, which includes three wins in the BIG EAST tournament to capture the conference crown.
The Irish had little trouble dispatching the Spartans on an unusually warm November day. First half goals by junior forward Harry Shipp and senior striker Ryan Finley gave Bobby Clark’s boys a two goal cushion at the half. Sophomore back Max Lachowecki poured in another in the 80th minute for the final score.
Notre Dame moves on to the round of sixteen, where it where it will square off against Indiana, the No. 16 overall seed in the tournament. The two teams met earlier this year in Bloomington. The Irish emerged victorious on a late goal by senior defender Grant Van De Casteele.
Indiana has had a bit more arduous trip to the third round than the Irish, as the Hoosiers squeaked by Kentucky, 1-0, in the opening round. They had an easier time with Xavier in the second round, netting four goals in an easy 4-1 win.
The Indiana offense is paced by sophomore attacker Eric Zavaleta, who has tickled the twine 16 times this season. This goal output is more than double that of any other Hoosier. Indiana’s defense is anchored by senior goalkeeper and captain Luis Soffner, who will enter the match boasting a paltry 0.82 goals against average.
Notre Dame will look to further add to its momentum on Sunday at 3:00 P.M. against the Hoosiers in Alumni Stadium.
About Irish United
- Track. Three More Punch Tickets To Eugene At NCAA East Preliminary
- W. Rowing. #19 Irish Qualify Varsity Four For NCAA A/B Semifinal
- Baseball. Irish Bats Explode In 13-7 Win Over Wright State
- Fencing. I Am Strong, If You Are Strong: A Tribute to Billy Meckling
- Baseball. Irish Extra: NCAA Bid Means a Little Extra to Kutsulis
- Track. Irish Strong On First Day At NCAA East Preliminary
- Baseball. Irish In Champaign For First NCAA Regional In Nine Years
- W. Rowing. Kottkamp Repeats As NCAA Elite 89 Award Winner
- W. Rowing. #16 Irish Out West For NCAA Rowing Championship
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Cristian Torres Is More Than Meets The Eye
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Check out this blast from @cari_roccaro that put the U.S. U-23s up 2-1 in their win against Sweden on Wednesday!! instagram.com/p/3RqvhBNQgu/ 19 hours ago
- ICYMI Our 2015 schedule was released! What match ups are you looking forward to?? #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-socce… 20 hours ago
- RT @Diego13Boca: Supporting @NotreDameRowing and @NDBaseball at work! #NDFamily #GoIrish http://t.co/K6Zg54ZQ0J 20 hours ago
- Best of luck @NDBaseball, @NotreDameRowing & @NDXCTF at NCAAs this weekend! #GoIrish 1 day ago
- ICYMI: Last night @NDMonogram winner & former captain @LukeMishu made his MLS debut in the starting XI for @dcunited! http://t.co/gmNjaz7I2s 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ⚽️MISHU MAKES HIS DEBUT⚽️ @NDMenSoccer alum Luke Mishu set to make @MLS debut with @dcunited as part of Starting XI. ht… 2 days ago