Nov 18, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
It was a great weekend for the Irish as they racked up two wins to propel their way into the Elite Eight. The team started out the weekend with a 2-1 win versus #3 seed Wake Forest. Once that game was under their belt, they prepared to take on second-seeded Florida.
The Gators were an interesting opponent for the Irish because Florida midfielder Adriana Leon previously attended Notre Dame and was part of the Irish 2010 national championship team. In fact, Leon scored the game-winning goal against Stanford in the title game. The team and crowd were anxious to see how the Irish would do facing off against a former teammate and good friend.
Although many of the players may be friends with Leon, it did not show on the field, as the Irish proceeded to systematically break down the Gator defense and put two goals in the back of the net. The first goal was scored in the early in the game by junior midfielder Rebecca Twining as she dove to head the ball into the goal. Sophomore forward Lauren Bohaboy scored the next goal much later in the second half to put the game out of reach.
Not only were Twining and Bohaboy the sole goal scorers versus Florida, but they are roommates as well. The girls share a dorm room in Pasquerilla East, one of Notre Dame’s 29 residence halls. I’m sure the PE community is excited to welcome them back to campus and cheer them on in their upcoming game against #1 seed Florida State (7 pm ET on Nov. 23).
About Irish United
- M. Basketball. Coach Brey May 25, 2016 Media Session
- W. Tennis. Gleason's Comeback Bid Falls Short In NCAA Singles First Round
- Baseball. Summer Ball Provides Key Development Opportunities For Players
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Advances To Round of 32 At NCAA Singles Championship
- W. Basketball. Irish, Hawkeyes To Meet In ACC-B1G Challenge
- M. Basketball. Ingelsby Accepts Delaware Head Coach Position
- W. Volleyball. Irish Volleyball Adds Klein & Truett To 2016 Roster
- W. Tennis. Irish Insights: NCAA Singles Championship
- M. Basketball. Irish To Welcome Hawkeyes In 'Challenge' Rematch
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Named National ITA Arthur Ashe Award Winner
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDMenSoccer: .@NDsoftball we're partial to this Alumni Stadium. Good luck this weekend! https://t.co/le1FYhGWk8 6 days ago
- Awesome to see @cari_roccaro getting back on the field with @HoustonDash!! Great read: houstonchronicle.com/sports/dynamo/… 1 week ago
- RT @NDRomagnolo: Congrats to the class of 2016!!! @NDSoccer great student athletes and even better people! Onto the next challenge! 1 week ago
- ICYMI Matt Besler ’09 named to #USMNT @CA2016 roster twitter.com/ussoccer/statu… 1 day ago
- Great speech from Chris Hubbard, rising senior goalkeeper, at first time @NDMonogram winner’s event in April! twitter.com/NDMonogram/sta… 2 days ago
- RT @NDPDX: Thanks to @BickisBack for taking the time to meet with us after the match! Go Timbers! @TimbersFC @NDPDX #RCTID https://t.co/L… 3 days ago