Nov 18, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
It was a great weekend for the Irish as they racked up two wins to propel their way into the Elite Eight. The team started out the weekend with a 2-1 win versus #3 seed Wake Forest. Once that game was under their belt, they prepared to take on second-seeded Florida.
The Gators were an interesting opponent for the Irish because Florida midfielder Adriana Leon previously attended Notre Dame and was part of the Irish 2010 national championship team. In fact, Leon scored the game-winning goal against Stanford in the title game. The team and crowd were anxious to see how the Irish would do facing off against a former teammate and good friend.
Although many of the players may be friends with Leon, it did not show on the field, as the Irish proceeded to systematically break down the Gator defense and put two goals in the back of the net. The first goal was scored in the early in the game by junior midfielder Rebecca Twining as she dove to head the ball into the goal. Sophomore forward Lauren Bohaboy scored the next goal much later in the second half to put the game out of reach.
Not only were Twining and Bohaboy the sole goal scorers versus Florida, but they are roommates as well. The girls share a dorm room in Pasquerilla East, one of Notre Dame’s 29 residence halls. I’m sure the PE community is excited to welcome them back to campus and cheer them on in their upcoming game against #1 seed Florida State (7 pm ET on Nov. 23).
About Irish United
- Swimming & Diving. Inside Irish: 2017 ACC Women’s Swimming & Men/Women’s Diving Championships
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: Purdue
- Track. Irish Excited for Home Advantage in Upcoming ACC Championships
- W. Basketball. Nelson Returning For Fifth Season
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Honored, Irish Move Up In Rankings
- W. Basketball. Marina Mabrey Claims ACC Player of the Week
- Track. Into Focus: Rachel DaDamio
- W. Basketball. Late Irish Rally Spurs Victory Over Orange
- M. Tennis. Irish Etch Sixth Sweep In 7-0 Victory Over Hoosiers
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Alamo Irish Classic Finale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇺🇸 President George Bush at the White House with the 2004 National Championship @NDSoccer team. #PresidentsDay https:/… 1 day ago
- RT @NDCommitment: @NDSoccer taking time to help with @SJCHabitat #habitat https://t.co/0Or5G412qz 4 days ago
- Check out the awesome work @kaleigholmsted is doing with her NoBody is Perfect campaign! READ:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.