Nov 18, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
It was a great weekend for the Irish as they racked up two wins to propel their way into the Elite Eight. The team started out the weekend with a 2-1 win versus #3 seed Wake Forest. Once that game was under their belt, they prepared to take on second-seeded Florida.
The Gators were an interesting opponent for the Irish because Florida midfielder Adriana Leon previously attended Notre Dame and was part of the Irish 2010 national championship team. In fact, Leon scored the game-winning goal against Stanford in the title game. The team and crowd were anxious to see how the Irish would do facing off against a former teammate and good friend.
Although many of the players may be friends with Leon, it did not show on the field, as the Irish proceeded to systematically break down the Gator defense and put two goals in the back of the net. The first goal was scored in the early in the game by junior midfielder Rebecca Twining as she dove to head the ball into the goal. Sophomore forward Lauren Bohaboy scored the next goal much later in the second half to put the game out of reach.
Not only were Twining and Bohaboy the sole goal scorers versus Florida, but they are roommates as well. The girls share a dorm room in Pasquerilla East, one of Notre Dame’s 29 residence halls. I’m sure the PE community is excited to welcome them back to campus and cheer them on in their upcoming game against #1 seed Florida State (7 pm ET on Nov. 23).
About Irish United
- Cross Country. Irish Claim Runner-Up Honors at the 2015 Crusader Open
- M. Soccer. #5 Irish Blank #24 USF In Berticelli Opener
- W. Volleyball. Pirates Sweep Irish 3-0 In Friday Volleyball Action
- W. Soccer. No. 6/4 Notre Dame Draws With Western Michigan, 2-2
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball On Road At Seton Hall
- Football. Pride and Resiliency Fueled 1970 Notre Dame Football Team
- Football. Jack Chevigny: Gridiron Star and Battlefield Hero
- Monogram Club. Catching Up With The Monogram Club
- Cross Country. Keys to the Race: Crusader Open
- W. Volleyball. Jim McLaughlin: New Irish Volleyball Boss Is All About the Numbers
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Final Score vs. Western Michigan. Goals by @anna06maria and @mkdoyle4. #GoIrish #NDvWMU http://t.co/sXUjXPRoYd 15 hours ago
- 104' T. Klawunder with a chance at the top of the box, but sends it soaring over the bar. #GoIrish 15 hours ago
- Still tied at 2-2, we're heading to the second overtime period. #GoIrish 16 hours ago
- Irish blank #24 South Florida 2-0 RECAP: ntrda.me/1NgCPMt #NDvUSF http://t.co/BRjmQClEKN 29 minutes ago
- FINAL from Alumni: Next up: UAB on Sunday at 2pm. #NDvUSF http://t.co/z8rTkZFoAI 12 hours ago
- 84' - Oliver Harris re-enters the game. He replaces Blake Townes. ND still up 2-0 over USF. #NDvUSF 12 hours ago