Nov 18, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
It was a great weekend for the Irish as they racked up two wins to propel their way into the Elite Eight. The team started out the weekend with a 2-1 win versus #3 seed Wake Forest. Once that game was under their belt, they prepared to take on second-seeded Florida.
The Gators were an interesting opponent for the Irish because Florida midfielder Adriana Leon previously attended Notre Dame and was part of the Irish 2010 national championship team. In fact, Leon scored the game-winning goal against Stanford in the title game. The team and crowd were anxious to see how the Irish would do facing off against a former teammate and good friend.
Although many of the players may be friends with Leon, it did not show on the field, as the Irish proceeded to systematically break down the Gator defense and put two goals in the back of the net. The first goal was scored in the early in the game by junior midfielder Rebecca Twining as she dove to head the ball into the goal. Sophomore forward Lauren Bohaboy scored the next goal much later in the second half to put the game out of reach.
Not only were Twining and Bohaboy the sole goal scorers versus Florida, but they are roommates as well. The girls share a dorm room in Pasquerilla East, one of Notre Dame’s 29 residence halls. I’m sure the PE community is excited to welcome them back to campus and cheer them on in their upcoming game against #1 seed Florida State (7 pm ET on Nov. 23).
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Ranked #15 In Polls After Petersen's Big Weekend
- M. Basketball. Virginia Preview - Five Things To Know
- W. Tennis. Irish Roll To Twin Sweeps In Season-Opening Doubleheader
- M. Tennis. Irish Fall To #15 Kentucky In Tight 5-2 Contest
- Fencing. Irish Wrap New York Stay At NYU Invite
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Breezes By Tar Heels
- M. Basketball. Sunday Brunch: Irish Defense Dooms 'Cuse
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Blank New Hampshire 3-0 For A Three Point Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. Fighting Irish Victorious in Indianapolis
- Fencing. Irish Look Strong At Elite St. John's Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Congratulations to Alexis Martel-Lamothe on being the recipient of the 2016 Ottawa Sports Award! 🏆… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- Calling all coaches! Come learn with some of the best at the 2017 National Soccer Coaching Seminar! Register:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- RT @NDBrantUst: Welcome back to @FightingIrish Nate! @NDMonogram #NDFamily twitter.com/ndsoccer/statu… 2 days ago
- It's that time of year again! Registration is now open for the 2017 ND Soccer National Coaching Seminar! DETAILS:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
- The Irish were well represented in the MLS this past year! STORY: und.com/sports/m-socce… https://t.co/IqishMr4gJ 5 days ago
- Congratulations @Brandon_Aubrey on being drafted by Toronto FC! #IrishPride STORY: und.com/sports/m-socce… https://t.co/skxgqY7P88 1 week ago