Nov 18, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
It was a great weekend for the Irish as they racked up two wins to propel their way into the Elite Eight. The team started out the weekend with a 2-1 win versus #3 seed Wake Forest. Once that game was under their belt, they prepared to take on second-seeded Florida.
The Gators were an interesting opponent for the Irish because Florida midfielder Adriana Leon previously attended Notre Dame and was part of the Irish 2010 national championship team. In fact, Leon scored the game-winning goal against Stanford in the title game. The team and crowd were anxious to see how the Irish would do facing off against a former teammate and good friend.
Although many of the players may be friends with Leon, it did not show on the field, as the Irish proceeded to systematically break down the Gator defense and put two goals in the back of the net. The first goal was scored in the early in the game by junior midfielder Rebecca Twining as she dove to head the ball into the goal. Sophomore forward Lauren Bohaboy scored the next goal much later in the second half to put the game out of reach.
Not only were Twining and Bohaboy the sole goal scorers versus Florida, but they are roommates as well. The girls share a dorm room in Pasquerilla East, one of Notre Dame’s 29 residence halls. I’m sure the PE community is excited to welcome them back to campus and cheer them on in their upcoming game against #1 seed Florida State (7 pm ET on Nov. 23).
About Irish United
- M. Golf. Albin Tops Irish as Play Concludes in Arizona
- W. Golf. Irish Finish Sixth At Season Opening Schooner Classic
- W. Soccer. #24 Irish Tame Panthers In 4-0 Victory
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Blows by Hurricanes in Straight-Set Win
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish Look Themselves in Mirror
- Football. VanGorder Relieved of Duties; Hudson Assumes Responsibilities
- Football. Notre Dame-Duke 2016: What the Irish Learned
- M. Golf. Irish Battle at Maui Jim Intercollegiate
- W. Golf. Irish Eighth After Two Rounds At The Schooner Classic
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Pittsburgh
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: 🍀 4 Goals by 4 Different Players. @NDSoccer wins its ACC home opener 4-0 vs. Pittsburgh. 📽 Top-5 Moments https://t.co/… 7 hours ago
- ⚽️ ☀️ It was a beautiful day for goal-scoring! Recap our 4-0 win over Pitt 👉 ntrda.me/2cuI62H https://t.co/w9I7T22R5a 10 hours ago
- FINAL from Alumni! Irish defeat the Panthers 4-0 and are unbeaten in their last eight games! https://t.co/ailxh5pk6j 11 hours ago
- Missed our amazing upset Friday night against Syracuse? Check out the recap! ⚽️☘️ und.com/sports/m-socce… 15 hours ago
- Congratulations to Coach Clark on his 200th Notre Dame victory! Reaching this milestone in outstanding fashion! ⚽️☘️ https://t.co/jbuNfCc78Z 2 days ago
- GOAL!!! GALLAGHER IN THE 90' FOR THE WIN! https://t.co/MLeuTSVfSx 2 days ago