Nov 15, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
It’s tournament time and never count anyone out! Especially the Irish. After a rocky start to the season, the Irish pulled together to go on a winning streak in the BIG EAST and earn a share of the conference title. All in all, the team has proven that it has what it takes to be successful in the tournament, and that it’s willing to fight to the finish.
This is apparent by the Irish’s 3-1 victory over Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They went down early off a penalty kick but fought back hard and ended up winning by two goals. The team was in a similar situation in the first round of the NCAAs the previous year, but unfortunately, failed to come out on top.
“It was really tough losing so early last year,” junior Rebecca Twining said. “I think we all knew if we didn’t want that to happen again we would have to come out hard in the second half.”
With their win against Milwaukee, the Irish advance to face off against Wake Forest in the second round of the tournament. Wake Forest, a number 3 seed, will be a tough opponent for the Irish, but junior captain Mandy Laddish isn’t too worried about playing a high ranked team.
“In order to be the best, you have to beat the best,” Laddish said. “It feels good knowing we are on the right track again. We’re all ready for this weekend and we are not going to settle for anything less than a win.”
With the team mindset and morale high, the Irish are optimistic about the outcome this weekend. Watch on NCAA.com as the Irish take on Wake Forest Friday at 4:30 pm ET.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Drop 4-2 Decision To Huskies
- W. Soccer. #12 Irish Clinch ACC Title With 2-0 Victory Over Miami
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Celebrate Senior Night Against #3 North Carolina
- M. Tennis. Irish Duo Snag Doubles Spot AT USTA/ITA National Indoors
- W. Basketball. Ivey Promoted To Associate Head Coach
- Cross Country. Keys To The Race: ACC Championships
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Set to Host Miami and Florida State Over Weekend
- Football. Notre Dame Monogram Club: Taking the Next Steps After 100 Years
- W. Golf. Women's Golf To Close Fall Season At Landfall Tradition
- Swimming & Diving. Notre Dame Swimming & Diving Back In ACC Action Friday Versus Miami
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🎥 Our own @NDSportsBlogger got Sandra Yu's Instant Reaction to tonight's win and ACC title-clincher! https://t.co/eHNM1FarEz 3 hours ago
- 2-0 Win v. Miami ✅ ACC Tourney Home-Field ✅ ACC REGULAR SEASON CHAMPS ✅ RECAP ➡️ ntrda.me/2eXkSnr https://t.co/nUFwgW3vkw 4 hours ago
- RT @flrmonica5: ACC regular season CHAMPS. SO PROUD of my girlies back at ND, kicking butt! always… instagram.com/p/BMFtb7FD_Ao/ 4 hours ago
- Our soccer alums representing us well out there in the MLS! #IrishStrong STORY: und.com/sports/m-socce… https://t.co/tED7UnkmLH 1 day ago
- Irish drop tonight's hard fought match 1-0. Next game Friday night against UNC https://t.co/ebfkDVehwG 2 days ago
- 90' - Townes shot from outside sails high over goal 2 days ago