Nov 15, 2012, 1:13 PM EST
It’s tournament time and never count anyone out! Especially the Irish. After a rocky start to the season, the Irish pulled together to go on a winning streak in the BIG EAST and earn a share of the conference title. All in all, the team has proven that it has what it takes to be successful in the tournament, and that it’s willing to fight to the finish.
This is apparent by the Irish’s 3-1 victory over Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They went down early off a penalty kick but fought back hard and ended up winning by two goals. The team was in a similar situation in the first round of the NCAAs the previous year, but unfortunately, failed to come out on top.
“It was really tough losing so early last year,” junior Rebecca Twining said. “I think we all knew if we didn’t want that to happen again we would have to come out hard in the second half.”
With their win against Milwaukee, the Irish advance to face off against Wake Forest in the second round of the tournament. Wake Forest, a number 3 seed, will be a tough opponent for the Irish, but junior captain Mandy Laddish isn’t too worried about playing a high ranked team.
“In order to be the best, you have to beat the best,” Laddish said. “It feels good knowing we are on the right track again. We’re all ready for this weekend and we are not going to settle for anything less than a win.”
With the team mindset and morale high, the Irish are optimistic about the outcome this weekend. Watch on NCAA.com as the Irish take on Wake Forest Friday at 4:30 pm ET.
About Irish United
- W. Basketball. Cable, Allen Earn Awards For Basketball Success
- M. Ice Hockey. Gross Honored and Irish Move up to #8 in the National Polls After Weekend Sweep
- M. Basketball. Irish Head To Clemson For A Key ACC Battle
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3 Notre Dame 66, #13 Louisville 61
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Rally Past #13 Louisville, 66-61
- Fencing. No. 2 Irish Women Remain Undefeated At Duke Duals
- M. Tennis. No. 36 Irish Snare Doubleheader Wins over No. 53 Indiana, Ball State
- M. Basketball. Sunday Brunch: Golden Irish Motor Past Heels
- M. Basketball. Postgame Quotes
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Leads No. 10 Irish to 3-1 Win and Weekend Sweep at Vermont
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @CarlDeff: #NotreDame & the future of sport science: ND athletes benefit from breakthrough technology. wsbt.com/news/local/not… https://t… 6 hours ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: .@BocaBoca3 & @McMainsDmac Named Guest Clinicians for Coaching Seminar. LINK: ntrda.me/1PFi8tR https://t.co/GTkJQP… 3 days ago
- Carlos Bocanegra (@BocaBoca3) & Derin McMains (@McMainsDmac) will be guest clinicians at the 2016 Coaching Seminar! und.com/sports/w-socce… 3 days ago
- RT @matthowley: Looking forward to being apart of this twitter.com/ndmensoccer/st… 8 hours ago
- .@matthowley, Notre Dame's Director of Sports Science, Joins Coaching Seminar LINK: ntrda.me/1QQCEGO https://t.co/Cl6p7H8jmr 9 hours ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Carlos Bocanegra (@BocaBoca3) & Derin McMains (@McMainsDmac) will be guest clinicians at the 2016 Coaching Seminar! https://… 3 days ago