Nov 15, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
It’s tournament time and never count anyone out! Especially the Irish. After a rocky start to the season, the Irish pulled together to go on a winning streak in the BIG EAST and earn a share of the conference title. All in all, the team has proven that it has what it takes to be successful in the tournament, and that it’s willing to fight to the finish.
This is apparent by the Irish’s 3-1 victory over Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They went down early off a penalty kick but fought back hard and ended up winning by two goals. The team was in a similar situation in the first round of the NCAAs the previous year, but unfortunately, failed to come out on top.
“It was really tough losing so early last year,” junior Rebecca Twining said. “I think we all knew if we didn’t want that to happen again we would have to come out hard in the second half.”
With their win against Milwaukee, the Irish advance to face off against Wake Forest in the second round of the tournament. Wake Forest, a number 3 seed, will be a tough opponent for the Irish, but junior captain Mandy Laddish isn’t too worried about playing a high ranked team.
“In order to be the best, you have to beat the best,” Laddish said. “It feels good knowing we are on the right track again. We’re all ready for this weekend and we are not going to settle for anything less than a win.”
With the team mindset and morale high, the Irish are optimistic about the outcome this weekend. Watch on NCAA.com as the Irish take on Wake Forest Friday at 4:30 pm ET.
About Irish United
- Football. Pat and Jana Eilers endow defensive backs coaching position
- M. Soccer. Klekota Rallies Irish With His Toughness
- Baseball. Baseball Scrimmage And Halloween Fun Update
- Monogram Club. Q&A With Monogram Club President Kevin O'Connor
- W. Tennis. Irish Duo Fall In ITA All-American Doubles Main Draw
- W. Soccer. #16/11 Irish Stifle Syracuse In 1-0 Victory
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Advances In Main Draw At All-American Championships
- Fencing. Irish Release 2015-16 Schedule
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Game Notes: Exhibition Weekend Awaits
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Hosts Fourth Annual Playing for Peace Clinic
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @paigecrowley4: I challenge @MVLASC Barcelona, @jlshain12, and Ashley Hill to the Irish Juggling Challenge! #17for17 https://t.co/oxPamd… 21 minutes ago
- RT @LexiNicholas1: I challenge @hailai_23 @preshakanyirige and @bri_nicholas03 You have 24 hours #17for17 #IrishJugglingChallenge https://t… 35 minutes ago
- RT @Diego13Boca: @NDSoccer and @SEGwayProject need help to raise $ and awareness. @TimHowardGK @D6MERIT @ashleynicokelly @stuholden https:/… 1 hour ago
- RT @NDTIX: Tomorrow's @NDMenSoccer game vs. Duke will be free admission. Kickoff is set for noon at Alumni Stadium. 46 minutes ago
- ND & Michigan battle to 1-1 draw. Ueland scores 3rd goal of year, all vs B1G teams. RECAP: ntrda.me/1FUNjip http://t.co/bm23Bur5XX 1 day ago
- FINAL from Alumni #NDvUM http://t.co/vyLYZhXGnr 1 day ago