Nov 15, 2012, 1:13 PM EST
It’s tournament time and never count anyone out! Especially the Irish. After a rocky start to the season, the Irish pulled together to go on a winning streak in the BIG EAST and earn a share of the conference title. All in all, the team has proven that it has what it takes to be successful in the tournament, and that it’s willing to fight to the finish.
This is apparent by the Irish’s 3-1 victory over Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They went down early off a penalty kick but fought back hard and ended up winning by two goals. The team was in a similar situation in the first round of the NCAAs the previous year, but unfortunately, failed to come out on top.
“It was really tough losing so early last year,” junior Rebecca Twining said. “I think we all knew if we didn’t want that to happen again we would have to come out hard in the second half.”
With their win against Milwaukee, the Irish advance to face off against Wake Forest in the second round of the tournament. Wake Forest, a number 3 seed, will be a tough opponent for the Irish, but junior captain Mandy Laddish isn’t too worried about playing a high ranked team.
“In order to be the best, you have to beat the best,” Laddish said. “It feels good knowing we are on the right track again. We’re all ready for this weekend and we are not going to settle for anything less than a win.”
With the team mindset and morale high, the Irish are optimistic about the outcome this weekend. Watch on NCAA.com as the Irish take on Wake Forest Friday at 4:30 pm ET.
About Irish United
- General News. Father Ted Hesburgh Influenced Collegiate Athletics Fit on Campuses Nationwide
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen's 55 Saves Helps Irish Beat No. 9 BC, 3-1
- M. Swimming. Irish Finish ACC Championships in Fifth Place
- M. Tennis. No. 14 Irish Fall to No. 3 Illinois, 4-3
- Track. Irish Women Snare 3rd At ACCs, Seidel Named MVP
- Baseball. Baseball Sweeps Saturday In Thrilling Fashion To Claim Mercer Baseball Classic
- Softball. Rain Washes Out Second Day Of Diamond 9 Citrus Classic
- M. Lacrosse. #2 Notre Dame Downs Dartmouth, 20-5
- Baseball. Beyond The Books: History More Than A Major Choice For McCarty
- W. Basketball. #4 Irish Close Out Regular Season Sunday At N.C. State
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Good Luck to Sabrina Flores (@Sflores317) and incoming Freshman Natalie Jacobs with the U20 National Team in Spain!! ow.ly/JDL9R 1 day ago
- #ThankYouFrTed for everything you did for Notre Dame and the World. Rest in Peace. #GodCountryNotreDame http://t.co/7vlXDBb8sc 1 day ago
- RT @NotreDame: #ThankYouFrTed for the vision, service, love and grace you bestowed upon all of us at #NotreDame and the world http://t.co/f… 2 days ago
- Congrats @NDHockey seniors on your Senior Night win over Boston College! #GoIrish 19 hours ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: Congrats to @NDMenSoccer's Brendan Lesch on a Unanimous decision win in his @BengalBouts Championship Match! http://t.… 1 day ago
- Best of luck to senior Brendan Lesch in tonight’s @BengalBouts final! 2 days ago