Nov 15, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
It’s tournament time and never count anyone out! Especially the Irish. After a rocky start to the season, the Irish pulled together to go on a winning streak in the BIG EAST and earn a share of the conference title. All in all, the team has proven that it has what it takes to be successful in the tournament, and that it’s willing to fight to the finish.
This is apparent by the Irish’s 3-1 victory over Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They went down early off a penalty kick but fought back hard and ended up winning by two goals. The team was in a similar situation in the first round of the NCAAs the previous year, but unfortunately, failed to come out on top.
“It was really tough losing so early last year,” junior Rebecca Twining said. “I think we all knew if we didn’t want that to happen again we would have to come out hard in the second half.”
With their win against Milwaukee, the Irish advance to face off against Wake Forest in the second round of the tournament. Wake Forest, a number 3 seed, will be a tough opponent for the Irish, but junior captain Mandy Laddish isn’t too worried about playing a high ranked team.
“In order to be the best, you have to beat the best,” Laddish said. “It feels good knowing we are on the right track again. We’re all ready for this weekend and we are not going to settle for anything less than a win.”
With the team mindset and morale high, the Irish are optimistic about the outcome this weekend. Watch on NCAA.com as the Irish take on Wake Forest Friday at 4:30 pm ET.
About Irish United
- W. Golf. Irish 10th After First Round of NCAA Birmingham Regional
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Close Regular-Season Slate with Home Date vs. Army West Point
- W. Lacrosse. Honors Pour in For No. 6 Notre Dame
- W. Soccer. Irish Look Toward Future After Solid Spring Campaign
- M. Soccer. Irish Unveil Strong 2016 Soccer Schedule
- W. Golf. From The First Tee: Irish at NCAA Birmingham Regional
- W. Golf. Campbell Repeats as All-ACC Selection
- M. Basketball. Irish To Face Defending National Champion Villanova In Inaugural Never Forget Tribute Classic
- W. Swimming. Irish Add Ninth Signee to Incoming Freshman Class
- M. Tennis. Irish To Face Stanford In NCAA Championship First Round
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Looking forward after a successful Spring & Congrats Sandra Yu on being named team captain! und.com/sports/w-socce… https://t.co/1XWXJEgIrJ 12 hours ago
- Sandra Yu and @DawnSiergiej representing the Irish at US U-23 camp! 🍀⚽️🇺🇸 https://t.co/NuIhdWAtFW 1 day ago
- RT @NDRomagnolo: Congrats @k_naughton24 @NDSoccer well deserved! twitter.com/ndsoccer/statu… 1 week ago
- RT @GoIrish: Take advantage of soccer's early bird discount & save! Learn more: goo.gl/NDE98c https://t.co/NdK6HoRM8Z 11 hours ago
- Irish fans in IL, IN, KY, MI, NC, PA & VA can catch us away from home during 2016 season! https://t.co/wgDJYosoRD 17 hours ago
- Two @NDMonogram winners & former captains named to this @MLS XI: twitter.com/MLS/status/727… 1 day ago