Nov 15, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
It’s tournament time and never count anyone out! Especially the Irish. After a rocky start to the season, the Irish pulled together to go on a winning streak in the BIG EAST and earn a share of the conference title. All in all, the team has proven that it has what it takes to be successful in the tournament, and that it’s willing to fight to the finish.
This is apparent by the Irish’s 3-1 victory over Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They went down early off a penalty kick but fought back hard and ended up winning by two goals. The team was in a similar situation in the first round of the NCAAs the previous year, but unfortunately, failed to come out on top.
“It was really tough losing so early last year,” junior Rebecca Twining said. “I think we all knew if we didn’t want that to happen again we would have to come out hard in the second half.”
With their win against Milwaukee, the Irish advance to face off against Wake Forest in the second round of the tournament. Wake Forest, a number 3 seed, will be a tough opponent for the Irish, but junior captain Mandy Laddish isn’t too worried about playing a high ranked team.
“In order to be the best, you have to beat the best,” Laddish said. “It feels good knowing we are on the right track again. We’re all ready for this weekend and we are not going to settle for anything less than a win.”
With the team mindset and morale high, the Irish are optimistic about the outcome this weekend. Watch on NCAA.com as the Irish take on Wake Forest Friday at 4:30 pm ET.
About Irish United
- W. Soccer. Irish Set to Battle #4 Duke
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State Preview: Reminisce Then Rally
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Break Competitive Bowling Green Spirit In 2-1 Win
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Golf. NCAA Connection Takes Irish Golfer to Haiti
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans To Captain Irish In 2017-18
- Football. Megaphone On The Line For Irish & Spartans
- W. Soccer. Jacobs Nets ACC Player of the Week Honor
- M. Soccer. #2 Irish And #19 Bowling Green Meet Tuesday At Alumni Stadium
- W. Volleyball. Fry Named ACC Volleyball Player Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🖐🏼 what you're doing... Go follow @LepLegion on Snapchat for the women's soccer takeover! ☘️👻 https://t.co/Z42x0VJMPI 3 hours ago
- Notre Dame returns home after 18 days for top-10 battle against No. 4 @DukeWSOC ☘️ ➡️ PREVIEW: und.com/sports/w-socce… 5 hours ago
- ⚽️ ONE DAY ⚽️ Wear white tomorrow as we face @DukeWSOC at Alumni Stadium! #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/MQ4oWwg0d5 7 hours ago
- Keep your eyes and ears out for Coach Clark and goalkeeper Chris Hubbard later this week on the Jack Swarbrick Show! https://t.co/fqIeV48Xwq 5 hours ago
- X TIC TAC TOE O 📹 Blake Townes to Jack Casey to Jon Gallagher opened the Irish goal account against Bowling Green… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- 📹 HIGHLIGHT MIXTAPE 📹 All of the key moments from Notre Dame's 2-1 Tuesday win against Bowling Green are here! https://t.co/6r7fDg4f3M 1 day ago