Nov 2, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Fifth-year midfielder/forward Michael Rose is interning for the Monogram Club this fall, and will be sharing his perspective from the road as the Notre Dame men’s soccer team makes its annual run through the NCAA post-season. Here’s an excerpt from his first entry, “The Rose Report.”
Soccer is a funny game. It can be cruel, and unfair but that may be what makes the high points full of ecstasy. Playing at Marquette, in Milwaukee seems to be full of the former emotion for us though. After beating Marquette on Oct. 24, 3-1, at Alumni Stadium in a dominating performance against a team that was ranked in the top five in almost every major soccer poll in the country, we were confident that we could replicate the same performance in Milwaukee.
Even though the winner of our game would be given a share of the Big East title (three-way tie between the winner of our game, Georgetown and UConn), it seemed to be business as usual for us. On Friday, Oct. 26, we hit the road after training, and got to our hotel in Brookfield, Wisconsin–the hometown of one of our freshmen midfielders, Pat Hodan. Per usual, Saturday morning began earlier than most college kids would agree with — at an 8:30 a.m. breakfast. At this point, all of us are convinced that Boss [head coach Bobby Clark] has already been up for four hours working out and practicing his fake Scottish accent (kidding, it’s real).
From there it’s a walk through at Marquette’s field, and a light dynamic stretch on their practice field. Next on our game day agenda is our pre-game talk. Being here for five years, I can tell you that the pre-game talks haven’t varied much at all, because the way we play defensively isn’t rocket science. It just takes a collective mentality, awareness and an understanding of a few simple concepts. Offensively, we have some of the most dynamic, creative players in the country, which is a huge asset. We have offensive wizards like Harry Shipp, Dillon Powers, and a forward with the most proven goal scoring record in the country–Ryan Finley. The rest of the day is spent at lunch and “getting our feet up” (Scottish for napping).
Visit the Monogram Club website for more from The Rose Report.
About Irish United
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: For Notre Dame and Stanford, A Rivalry Renewed
- M. Basketball. Men's Basketball Post Game Notes
- M. Basketball. Men's Basketball Post Game Quotes
- M. Basketball. Irish in the 2015 NCAA Championships: The Notre Dame Men in Cleveland
- M. Swimming. Day One of NCAAs Brings New School Record For Fighting Irish Men's Swimming
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Races by Wichita State 81-70 for Elite Eight Spot
- Track. Notre Dame Completes Day Two Of Competition in Texas
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Set To Tee Off In LSU Tiger Classic
- W. Basketball. Loyd Selected As Finalist For 2015 Wade Trophy
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Sweet 16 Media Day
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Congrats to @NDmbb on advancing to the Elite 8! On to the next one! #NDFamily 6 hours ago
- Wishing a very Happy Birthday to Karin Muya! #GoIrish http://t.co/fZg2jrIfYE 17 hours ago
- RT @TonySutton8: Hey @NDMensTennis, I see a challenge here. http://t.co/zyIV8jBhFr 1 week ago
- Congrats @NDmbb on the win in Sweet Sixteen! Elite 8 here we come! #GoIrish #NotDoneYet 5 hours ago
- Please give a warm Notre Dame welcome to our new assistant coach, Michael Casper! ntrda.me/1byiDp1 http://t.co/Ae52ZWjAh2 12 hours ago
- RT @ChicagoFire: 30' GOOOOOAALLLLL for HARRY SHIPP! #cf97 #SJvCHI 4 days ago