Nov 2, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Fifth-year midfielder/forward Michael Rose is interning for the Monogram Club this fall, and will be sharing his perspective from the road as the Notre Dame men’s soccer team makes its annual run through the NCAA post-season. Here’s an excerpt from his first entry, “The Rose Report.”
Soccer is a funny game. It can be cruel, and unfair but that may be what makes the high points full of ecstasy. Playing at Marquette, in Milwaukee seems to be full of the former emotion for us though. After beating Marquette on Oct. 24, 3-1, at Alumni Stadium in a dominating performance against a team that was ranked in the top five in almost every major soccer poll in the country, we were confident that we could replicate the same performance in Milwaukee.
Even though the winner of our game would be given a share of the Big East title (three-way tie between the winner of our game, Georgetown and UConn), it seemed to be business as usual for us. On Friday, Oct. 26, we hit the road after training, and got to our hotel in Brookfield, Wisconsin–the hometown of one of our freshmen midfielders, Pat Hodan. Per usual, Saturday morning began earlier than most college kids would agree with — at an 8:30 a.m. breakfast. At this point, all of us are convinced that Boss [head coach Bobby Clark] has already been up for four hours working out and practicing his fake Scottish accent (kidding, it’s real).
From there it’s a walk through at Marquette’s field, and a light dynamic stretch on their practice field. Next on our game day agenda is our pre-game talk. Being here for five years, I can tell you that the pre-game talks haven’t varied much at all, because the way we play defensively isn’t rocket science. It just takes a collective mentality, awareness and an understanding of a few simple concepts. Offensively, we have some of the most dynamic, creative players in the country, which is a huge asset. We have offensive wizards like Harry Shipp, Dillon Powers, and a forward with the most proven goal scoring record in the country–Ryan Finley. The rest of the day is spent at lunch and “getting our feet up” (Scottish for napping).
Visit the Monogram Club website for more from The Rose Report.
About Irish United
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Super excited to have @LiverpoolFCW and @LFC on campus this week! #GoIrish ☘️ twitter.com/liverpoolfcw/s… 1 day ago
- Big news for the former @NDSoccer standout! Congrats on the new gig, Sandra! #GoIrish ☘️ twitter.com/valpoathletics… 1 day ago
- It is camp week and Liverpool week!! What an exciting time to be on campus!! #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/zl1yxyUmUg 2 days ago
- 😍😍😍 twitter.com/LFC/status/115… 36 minutes ago
- Great read on former standout @JonGallagher96, as he is beginning to get settled at @AberdeenFC: dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football… #GoIrish 19 hours ago
- Awesome to have @DAVID__ROBERTS, Liverpool's head grounds manager, here all week working on our pitches! #GoIrish☘️ https://t.co/Fo32inO7Vz 1 day ago