Nov 2, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Fifth-year midfielder/forward Michael Rose is interning for the Monogram Club this fall, and will be sharing his perspective from the road as the Notre Dame men’s soccer team makes its annual run through the NCAA post-season. Here’s an excerpt from his first entry, “The Rose Report.”
Soccer is a funny game. It can be cruel, and unfair but that may be what makes the high points full of ecstasy. Playing at Marquette, in Milwaukee seems to be full of the former emotion for us though. After beating Marquette on Oct. 24, 3-1, at Alumni Stadium in a dominating performance against a team that was ranked in the top five in almost every major soccer poll in the country, we were confident that we could replicate the same performance in Milwaukee.
Even though the winner of our game would be given a share of the Big East title (three-way tie between the winner of our game, Georgetown and UConn), it seemed to be business as usual for us. On Friday, Oct. 26, we hit the road after training, and got to our hotel in Brookfield, Wisconsin–the hometown of one of our freshmen midfielders, Pat Hodan. Per usual, Saturday morning began earlier than most college kids would agree with — at an 8:30 a.m. breakfast. At this point, all of us are convinced that Boss [head coach Bobby Clark] has already been up for four hours working out and practicing his fake Scottish accent (kidding, it’s real).
From there it’s a walk through at Marquette’s field, and a light dynamic stretch on their practice field. Next on our game day agenda is our pre-game talk. Being here for five years, I can tell you that the pre-game talks haven’t varied much at all, because the way we play defensively isn’t rocket science. It just takes a collective mentality, awareness and an understanding of a few simple concepts. Offensively, we have some of the most dynamic, creative players in the country, which is a huge asset. We have offensive wizards like Harry Shipp, Dillon Powers, and a forward with the most proven goal scoring record in the country–Ryan Finley. The rest of the day is spent at lunch and “getting our feet up” (Scottish for napping).
Visit the Monogram Club website for more from The Rose Report.
About Irish United
- Monogram Club. First Person: Danielle Green's ESPY Moment
- W. Basketball. First Person: Danielle Greenâ€™s ESPY Moment
- M. Soccer. Abundance Of Soccer On Air
- Baseball. Cavan Biggio Named A Cape Cod League All-Star
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Patberg Found Promise In USA Debut
- M. Soccer. Hodan Tabbed To U.S. U-23 MNT ID Camp Roster
- Fencing. Kiefer, Meinhardt Provide Summer Highlights
- Softball. Top Instruction At Softball Academies
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Basketball Is Truly A Family Affair
- W. Basketball. Patberg's Golden Dream Realized, USA Claims U19 World Title
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Good Luck to @Sflores317 and @natalieejacobs as they head off to training camp with the U.S. U-20 National Team! ussoccer.com/stories/2015/0… 1 week ago
- Had a great time tonight at our Meet & Greet with Jr. Irish! Thanks to everyone who came out! #GoIrish http://t.co/ZZaLA0Unzm 1 week ago
- Part of the team out celebrating Cari's Birthday! #NDFamily http://t.co/505Vdokgo3 1 week ago
- Don’t forget to catch @MattBesler and #MLSAllStar tonight vs Tottenham Hotspur at 9pm! http://t.co/xrkZSXLkTO 6 hours ago
- Congratulations to Patrick Hodan who was tabbed to U-23 #USMNT College ID Camp Roster! ntrda.me/1I7z0C4 http://t.co/v0hj7tHTBC 1 day ago
- Harry Shipp will captain @ChipotleTweets Homegrown team tonight. Catch it on MLS Live at 9pm. bit.ly/1JOFQgj http://t.co/qSh9e5SNPg 1 day ago