Nov 2, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Fifth-year midfielder/forward Michael Rose is interning for the Monogram Club this fall, and will be sharing his perspective from the road as the Notre Dame men’s soccer team makes its annual run through the NCAA post-season. Here’s an excerpt from his first entry, “The Rose Report.”
Soccer is a funny game. It can be cruel, and unfair but that may be what makes the high points full of ecstasy. Playing at Marquette, in Milwaukee seems to be full of the former emotion for us though. After beating Marquette on Oct. 24, 3-1, at Alumni Stadium in a dominating performance against a team that was ranked in the top five in almost every major soccer poll in the country, we were confident that we could replicate the same performance in Milwaukee.
Even though the winner of our game would be given a share of the Big East title (three-way tie between the winner of our game, Georgetown and UConn), it seemed to be business as usual for us. On Friday, Oct. 26, we hit the road after training, and got to our hotel in Brookfield, Wisconsin–the hometown of one of our freshmen midfielders, Pat Hodan. Per usual, Saturday morning began earlier than most college kids would agree with — at an 8:30 a.m. breakfast. At this point, all of us are convinced that Boss [head coach Bobby Clark] has already been up for four hours working out and practicing his fake Scottish accent (kidding, it’s real).
From there it’s a walk through at Marquette’s field, and a light dynamic stretch on their practice field. Next on our game day agenda is our pre-game talk. Being here for five years, I can tell you that the pre-game talks haven’t varied much at all, because the way we play defensively isn’t rocket science. It just takes a collective mentality, awareness and an understanding of a few simple concepts. Offensively, we have some of the most dynamic, creative players in the country, which is a huge asset. We have offensive wizards like Harry Shipp, Dillon Powers, and a forward with the most proven goal scoring record in the country–Ryan Finley. The rest of the day is spent at lunch and “getting our feet up” (Scottish for napping).
Visit the Monogram Club website for more from The Rose Report.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Hockey Alums Host NHL Youth Clinic
- General News. CoachMePlus Announces Partnership with Notre Dame Athletics
- Football. Always 1 For The Gipper
- Cross Country. New Look Irish Ready for Run in 2015
- Football. Old Friends Reunite in Notre Dame Stadium: Notre Dame and Texas
- M. Soccer. Aubrey Honored Following Strong Opening Weekend
- M. Basketball. Irish Relish Opportunity in Year Three as ACC Member
- General News. A Dream Finally Realized For The Muchemis
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Women Top Selection in 2015 ACC Pre-Season Coaches' Poll
- Football. Ready To Open Season Against Texas
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Our home opener is this weekend! Do you have your tickets? Ticket Link —> bit.ly/1EyX4Sm #NDvUSF http://t.co/RidjbJ6fUz 21 hours ago
- Brandon Aubrey was named @TopDrawerSoccer Player of the Week! Congrats Aubrey! Read more: bit.ly/1huEkZB http://t.co/XJrXr2wLUm 1 day ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Hey everybody! It's @NDRomagnolo's birthday! We hope you have a great day, Theresa! 🍀🎉 2 days ago