Nov 2, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
Fifth-year midfielder/forward Michael Rose is interning for the Monogram Club this fall, and will be sharing his perspective from the road as the Notre Dame men’s soccer team makes its annual run through the NCAA post-season. Here’s an excerpt from his first entry, “The Rose Report.”
Soccer is a funny game. It can be cruel, and unfair but that may be what makes the high points full of ecstasy. Playing at Marquette, in Milwaukee seems to be full of the former emotion for us though. After beating Marquette on Oct. 24, 3-1, at Alumni Stadium in a dominating performance against a team that was ranked in the top five in almost every major soccer poll in the country, we were confident that we could replicate the same performance in Milwaukee.
Even though the winner of our game would be given a share of the Big East title (three-way tie between the winner of our game, Georgetown and UConn), it seemed to be business as usual for us. On Friday, Oct. 26, we hit the road after training, and got to our hotel in Brookfield, Wisconsin–the hometown of one of our freshmen midfielders, Pat Hodan. Per usual, Saturday morning began earlier than most college kids would agree with — at an 8:30 a.m. breakfast. At this point, all of us are convinced that Boss [head coach Bobby Clark] has already been up for four hours working out and practicing his fake Scottish accent (kidding, it’s real).
From there it’s a walk through at Marquette’s field, and a light dynamic stretch on their practice field. Next on our game day agenda is our pre-game talk. Being here for five years, I can tell you that the pre-game talks haven’t varied much at all, because the way we play defensively isn’t rocket science. It just takes a collective mentality, awareness and an understanding of a few simple concepts. Offensively, we have some of the most dynamic, creative players in the country, which is a huge asset. We have offensive wizards like Harry Shipp, Dillon Powers, and a forward with the most proven goal scoring record in the country–Ryan Finley. The rest of the day is spent at lunch and “getting our feet up” (Scottish for napping).
Visit the Monogram Club website for more from The Rose Report.
About Irish United
- M. Basketball. Irish Experience ACC Operation Basketball
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Drop 4-2 Decision To Huskies
- W. Soccer. #12 Irish Clinch ACC Title With 2-0 Victory Over Miami
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Celebrate Senior Night Against #3 North Carolina
- M. Tennis. Irish Duo Snag Doubles Spot AT USTA/ITA National Indoors
- W. Basketball. Ivey Promoted To Associate Head Coach
- Cross Country. Keys To The Race: ACC Championships
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Set to Host Miami and Florida State Over Weekend
- Football. Notre Dame Monogram Club: Taking the Next Steps After 100 Years
- W. Golf. Women's Golf To Close Fall Season At Landfall Tradition
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Feels great to wake up ACC Regular Season Champions!! Watch the highlights from last night's 2-0 win over Miami!… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 3 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: Congratulations to @NDSoccer on winning @theACC regular season title!! #NDFamily ☘⚽️🏆 4 hours ago
- 🎥 Our own @NDSportsBlogger got Sandra Yu's Instant Reaction to tonight's win and ACC title-clincher! https://t.co/eHNM1FarEz 14 hours ago
- GAMEDAY! Come out tonight as our seniors play in their last regular season home game! Irish vs. Tarheels at 7:00pm https://t.co/aMquEQM9d8 5 hours ago
- Our soccer alums representing us well out there in the MLS! #IrishStrong STORY: und.com/sports/m-socce… https://t.co/tED7UnkmLH 1 day ago
- Irish drop tonight's hard fought match 1-0. Next game Friday night against UNC https://t.co/ebfkDVehwG 2 days ago