Oct 30, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
The Irish advanced to the BiG EAST semifinals with a 1-0 win over Syracuse this weekend. The goal came late in the game with an open-netted shot from freshman forward Cari Roccaro after she beat the Syracuse goalkeeper. This was Rocarro’s fifth goal of the season – an impressive accomplishment, considering she didn’t join the team until mid-September after helping the United States national team bring home U-20 World Cup championship. Roccaro’s goal helped solidify her role as an impact player this year for the Irish.
Along with Roccaro, several freshmen have stepped up this year, becoming team leaders and helping create the backbone of the team. Self dubbed the “Baby Irish,” the team is relatively young with 12 freshmen, five of whom are starters, and all of whom regularly see playing time. As the Irish advance further into postseason play, they will have to rely heavily on their freshmen to continue to set the pace.
Although they are a young team, the Irish continue to prove that they can compete, by clinching a share of the BIG EAST National Division title, and winning against a difficult Syracuse opponent. With that win, Notre Dame advances to the semifinal game, which will take place Friday, Nov. 2 in Connecticut against Marquette.
The Golden Eagles, who beat the Irish 3-2 last year in the regular season, are traditionally a tough opponent, and this year is no exception, as they are the top seed. Riding the momentum of a double overtime thriller against DePaul, and a big win over Syracuse, the Irish hope to pull off the upset and advance to Sunday’s final.
You can catch Friday’s contest at 4:00 pm ET on CBS Sports Network.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Slaggert And St. Cyr Win Gold With Team USA U18’s
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish ACC Championship First Round: Pittsburgh
- M. Tennis. Hagar Snares ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- Baseball. Crusaders Venture To The Eck
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Goals! Goals! Goals! See all of the goals we scored this Spring & come to Alumni on Friday to catch us vs. Mexico!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- Thank you to every one who gave and voted for us on #NDday! We ended up 4th in Athletics with 669 votes! Thank you! notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/wome… 6 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: NCAA Champion🏆 3 Olympic Gold Medals🥇🥇🥇 World Cup Champion🏆 ☘️@Shannon Boxx (‘99 ⚽️) is our spring Monogram Jacket Ceremon… 6 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Hey SA's, want to make the most out of your opportunities at ND? Come talk to @NDMenSoccer alum, Grant Van De Casteele Th… 3 hours ago
- A HUGE thank you to everyone who donated and voted for Men's Soccer this past week! We finished second in athletics… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Ever wonder how our 2017 O.S.C.A.R.S hosts are preparing for the show on Thur, May 4th? Cross training of course! 🍀⚽️➡️🏒… 5 hours ago