Oct 30, 2012, 2:28 PM EDT
The Irish advanced to the BiG EAST semifinals with a 1-0 win over Syracuse this weekend. The goal came late in the game with an open-netted shot from freshman forward Cari Roccaro after she beat the Syracuse goalkeeper. This was Rocarro’s fifth goal of the season – an impressive accomplishment, considering she didn’t join the team until mid-September after helping the United States national team bring home U-20 World Cup championship. Roccaro’s goal helped solidify her role as an impact player this year for the Irish.
Along with Roccaro, several freshmen have stepped up this year, becoming team leaders and helping create the backbone of the team. Self dubbed the “Baby Irish,” the team is relatively young with 12 freshmen, five of whom are starters, and all of whom regularly see playing time. As the Irish advance further into postseason play, they will have to rely heavily on their freshmen to continue to set the pace.
Although they are a young team, the Irish continue to prove that they can compete, by clinching a share of the BIG EAST National Division title, and winning against a difficult Syracuse opponent. With that win, Notre Dame advances to the semifinal game, which will take place Friday, Nov. 2 in Connecticut against Marquette.
The Golden Eagles, who beat the Irish 3-2 last year in the regular season, are traditionally a tough opponent, and this year is no exception, as they are the top seed. Riding the momentum of a double overtime thriller against DePaul, and a big win over Syracuse, the Irish hope to pull off the upset and advance to Sunday’s final.
You can catch Friday’s contest at 4:00 pm ET on CBS Sports Network.
About Irish United
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Photos #5 - ACC CHAMPS! @NDSoccer took down Miami 2-0 at home for its 1st regular-season ACC… 1 day ago
- RT @DawnSiergiej: One of the coolest 🌈 I've ever seen. Take it as good luck while recruiting future Irish. ☘️☘️☘️ https://t.co/KSIjs43SkH 1 day ago
- RT @FIFAWWC: 9⃣0⃣mins. ✅ 5⃣7⃣2⃣9⃣metres. ✅ 🏔️👩⚽️Mount Kilimanjaro. ✅ What an amazing achievement @EPFinitiative. 📸 facebook.com/pg/fifawomensw… h… 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇺🇸FOR THE RED, WHITE & BLUE TWO @NDMenSoccer alums to play for US Men's National Team in 2017 Gold Cup. 👀@ussoccer htt… 21 hours ago
- Congratulations to ND soccer alums @MattBesler & @justmorrow for being named to the 23-man @ussoccer 2017 Gold Cup… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Our 2017 gauntlet has been released! Get your season tickets now! 🎟️ ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomme… https://t.co/l1LRVAX3o7 6 days ago