Oct 22, 2012, 10:40 AM EST
Notre Dame 3 – Providence 0
The rain stopped and the sun came out just as the the ten Notre Dame seniors were recognized and presented with flowers by Beth Hunter, men’s soccer administrator and executive director of the Notre Dame Monogram Club. Senior Day is always special and this class has been a good one, not just on the field, but also off the field. They have been good students, good role models and good players!
The first half seemed a little slow. There were three injuries where the trainers had to come onto the field and between these stoppages, and Providence taking the tempo out of the game at every dead ball, Notre Dame was not able to find its rhythm and only mustered four shots. To be truthful, it was a dull affair since the Friars only had one shot and the game was bogged down with a lot of square passing and no penetration.
The second half was a completely different story. The halftime message was to up the tempo and not to get frustrated. The players responded superbly and the game took on a completely different look and it was only a matter of time before the goals were going to come…….and they were worth waiting on! The first came from a beautiful driven cross from the left from Max Lachowecki in the 69th minute. It flew over the Providence central defenders and Ryan Finley timed his run to perfection and headed neatly past Broome in the Friars’ goal. The second arrived four minutes later and was the result of great pressure by Dillon Powers. He won the game on the left flank, spun round and hammered a hard cross which Ryan Finley met on the volley. He thundered a magnificent left footed shot past the bewildered Friar ‘keeper. This was pretty much the game, but Ryan Finley was able to notch his hat-trick six minutes later when Harry Shipp got taken down in the box and Ryan converted the resulting PK.
All in all, a very satisfying afternoon. This leaves Notre Dame with a 12-3-0 record and two remaining games against #4 Marquette, home on Wednesday, and in Milwaukee on Saturday. Two huge games with big play-off seeding implications!
About Irish United
- M. Soccer. Sunday Brunch: The Riley Era-Long Time in the Making
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish Complete ACC Sweep At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Mooney's Career Day Not Enough In Loss At Clemson
- Track & Field. Shead, Irish race to top-three finishes at Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Find Success At St. John's Invitational
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Look to Carry Momentum into Clemson Game Sunday
- M. Ice Hockey. Replay: Irish Hockey Rolls On
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ICYMI: Sandra Yu was drafted No. 8 overall in the #NWSLDraft by @ThornsFC! ☘️🌹 MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Congratulations to @NDSoccer's Sandra Yu who was selected 8th overall at the @NWSL draft! Meet @ThornsFC's newest draft… 1 day ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Sandra Yu became the fourth Irish athlete to be drafted by the @NWSL since 2012. The midfielder was selected No. 8 overall b… 1 day ago
- That feeling you get when you hear your name called on Draft Day...☘️⚽️ (all rights to MLSSoccer.com) https://t.co/3R8D5y12Ob 1 day ago
- Notre Dame has now seen 28 players selected in the #MLSSuperDraft since 2004, including 22 players in the first two… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Hear from Atlanta’s latest draft pick himself! 🎤🎥 twitter.com/mls/status/954… 1 day ago