Oct 22, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
Notre Dame 3 – Providence 0
The rain stopped and the sun came out just as the the ten Notre Dame seniors were recognized and presented with flowers by Beth Hunter, men’s soccer administrator and executive director of the Notre Dame Monogram Club. Senior Day is always special and this class has been a good one, not just on the field, but also off the field. They have been good students, good role models and good players!
The first half seemed a little slow. There were three injuries where the trainers had to come onto the field and between these stoppages, and Providence taking the tempo out of the game at every dead ball, Notre Dame was not able to find its rhythm and only mustered four shots. To be truthful, it was a dull affair since the Friars only had one shot and the game was bogged down with a lot of square passing and no penetration.
The second half was a completely different story. The halftime message was to up the tempo and not to get frustrated. The players responded superbly and the game took on a completely different look and it was only a matter of time before the goals were going to come…….and they were worth waiting on! The first came from a beautiful driven cross from the left from Max Lachowecki in the 69th minute. It flew over the Providence central defenders and Ryan Finley timed his run to perfection and headed neatly past Broome in the Friars’ goal. The second arrived four minutes later and was the result of great pressure by Dillon Powers. He won the game on the left flank, spun round and hammered a hard cross which Ryan Finley met on the volley. He thundered a magnificent left footed shot past the bewildered Friar ‘keeper. This was pretty much the game, but Ryan Finley was able to notch his hat-trick six minutes later when Harry Shipp got taken down in the box and Ryan converted the resulting PK.
All in all, a very satisfying afternoon. This leaves Notre Dame with a 12-3-0 record and two remaining games against #4 Marquette, home on Wednesday, and in Milwaukee on Saturday. Two huge games with big play-off seeding implications!
About Irish United
- Baseball. Vierling Nabs All-ACC Nod
- Football. Sam Mustipher Named To Rimington Trophy Watch List
- Softball. Cal Steals 5-3 Decision From Irish
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Denver Roars Past Irish
- Baseball. ACC Baseball Championship Next Stop For Irish
- Softball. Irish Topple ETSU In Extras, 7-6
- General News. Sunday Brunch: Kiefer Best of the Best
- Baseball. Postseason Bound Irish Fall In Finale
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Fall To Denver In NCAA Championship Quarterfinals
- Baseball. Irish Drop A Wild One To Eagles
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of these ACC champs! Extraordinary people who have accomplished so much already and are just beginning their next… 1 day ago
- Congratulations to our seniors on graduating today!! We are SO proud of you && cannot wait to see what you do next!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @flrmonica5: Irish ☘️ https://t.co/9Zw6gF5AjZ 1 day ago
- Good luck to all our guys during finals week! #finishstrong https://t.co/psRitXdiGw 2 weeks ago
- RT @NDMonogram: National Champions🏆 Team Captains☘️ Dean’s List Students📚 Med School Bound🎓 Congratulations Eva Niklinska 🤺 & Evan Panke… 2 weeks ago
- RT @gamedayND: A break in the weather, just in time for #Friday! Have a great weekend. ☘️😎🌤️🌷 https://t.co/JluRexvDzJ 2 weeks ago