Oct 22, 2012, 10:40 AM EST
Notre Dame 3 – Providence 0
The rain stopped and the sun came out just as the the ten Notre Dame seniors were recognized and presented with flowers by Beth Hunter, men’s soccer administrator and executive director of the Notre Dame Monogram Club. Senior Day is always special and this class has been a good one, not just on the field, but also off the field. They have been good students, good role models and good players!
The first half seemed a little slow. There were three injuries where the trainers had to come onto the field and between these stoppages, and Providence taking the tempo out of the game at every dead ball, Notre Dame was not able to find its rhythm and only mustered four shots. To be truthful, it was a dull affair since the Friars only had one shot and the game was bogged down with a lot of square passing and no penetration.
The second half was a completely different story. The halftime message was to up the tempo and not to get frustrated. The players responded superbly and the game took on a completely different look and it was only a matter of time before the goals were going to come…….and they were worth waiting on! The first came from a beautiful driven cross from the left from Max Lachowecki in the 69th minute. It flew over the Providence central defenders and Ryan Finley timed his run to perfection and headed neatly past Broome in the Friars’ goal. The second arrived four minutes later and was the result of great pressure by Dillon Powers. He won the game on the left flank, spun round and hammered a hard cross which Ryan Finley met on the volley. He thundered a magnificent left footed shot past the bewildered Friar ‘keeper. This was pretty much the game, but Ryan Finley was able to notch his hat-trick six minutes later when Harry Shipp got taken down in the box and Ryan converted the resulting PK.
All in all, a very satisfying afternoon. This leaves Notre Dame with a 12-3-0 record and two remaining games against #4 Marquette, home on Wednesday, and in Milwaukee on Saturday. Two huge games with big play-off seeding implications!
About Irish United
- M. Basketball. CHAMPS: Irish Shock Wichita State To Win Maui Invitational
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon's Career Night Not Enough Against Syracuse
- Football. Five Favorite Photos of The Week
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos of The Week
- Track & Field. Irish Release 2017-18 Indoor Track and Field Schedule
- Football. Notre Dame-Stanford Preview: Lots on the Line
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Signee Taichi Kho to Compete in UBS Hong Kong Open
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Primed For Weekend Series With #6 Minnesota
- Football. Offensive Line Named Joe Moore Award Semifinalists
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Finalist
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It was great to see Jill Krivacek ('07) back at Notre Dame as a panelist for last night's @espnW Campus Conversatio… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of @ndsoccer and their spirit to battle back in the sweet 16 yesterday. Unfortunately we came up short but not wi… 2 days ago
- Thank you to our senior class that has given us 4+ years of unforgettable laughter, love and hard work. 💚 Notre Da… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- 🏆 Best of luck to Irish alumni Justin Morrow and Brandon Aubrey (Toronto FC vs. Columbus Crew, 8 p.m. ET, Eastern C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- We want to properly recognize and congratulate our senior class and pair of graduate captains for their outstanding… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- Wisconsin wins 1-0 3 days ago