Oct 22, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
Notre Dame 3 – Providence 0
The rain stopped and the sun came out just as the the ten Notre Dame seniors were recognized and presented with flowers by Beth Hunter, men’s soccer administrator and executive director of the Notre Dame Monogram Club. Senior Day is always special and this class has been a good one, not just on the field, but also off the field. They have been good students, good role models and good players!
The first half seemed a little slow. There were three injuries where the trainers had to come onto the field and between these stoppages, and Providence taking the tempo out of the game at every dead ball, Notre Dame was not able to find its rhythm and only mustered four shots. To be truthful, it was a dull affair since the Friars only had one shot and the game was bogged down with a lot of square passing and no penetration.
The second half was a completely different story. The halftime message was to up the tempo and not to get frustrated. The players responded superbly and the game took on a completely different look and it was only a matter of time before the goals were going to come…….and they were worth waiting on! The first came from a beautiful driven cross from the left from Max Lachowecki in the 69th minute. It flew over the Providence central defenders and Ryan Finley timed his run to perfection and headed neatly past Broome in the Friars’ goal. The second arrived four minutes later and was the result of great pressure by Dillon Powers. He won the game on the left flank, spun round and hammered a hard cross which Ryan Finley met on the volley. He thundered a magnificent left footed shot past the bewildered Friar ‘keeper. This was pretty much the game, but Ryan Finley was able to notch his hat-trick six minutes later when Harry Shipp got taken down in the box and Ryan converted the resulting PK.
All in all, a very satisfying afternoon. This leaves Notre Dame with a 12-3-0 record and two remaining games against #4 Marquette, home on Wednesday, and in Milwaukee on Saturday. Two huge games with big play-off seeding implications!
About Irish United
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDSoccer: 🗒🖊@kateeoconnorr and @sammifisherr talked to Goshen's Write on Sports camp about their soccer career and role models. Keep a… 6 days ago
- 🗒🖊@kateeoconnorr and @sammifisherr talked to Goshen's Write on Sports camp about their soccer career and role model… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- RT @46Sports: Nice story today by my man @tnoieNDI on @brooke_vandyck skipping her senior year for @PennGirlsSoccer to play for @NDSoccer… 1 week ago
- Great time viewing the game today with all these soccer fans!! twitter.com/mattcashore/st… 3 days ago
- RT @NDAthEquipment: Delivery day ☝🏻 in the 📚 29 pallets ✔️ What will day ✌🏻 bring? 🤔 #TeamUA @UnderArmour https://t.co/SzBfoJ0vKe 1 week ago
- RT @SaintLouisFC: We need to make a quick introduction: We've signed Saint Louis FC Academy U19 forward Jack Lynn on a USL Academy contract… 1 week ago