Oct 22, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
Notre Dame 3 – Providence 0
The rain stopped and the sun came out just as the the ten Notre Dame seniors were recognized and presented with flowers by Beth Hunter, men’s soccer administrator and executive director of the Notre Dame Monogram Club. Senior Day is always special and this class has been a good one, not just on the field, but also off the field. They have been good students, good role models and good players!
The first half seemed a little slow. There were three injuries where the trainers had to come onto the field and between these stoppages, and Providence taking the tempo out of the game at every dead ball, Notre Dame was not able to find its rhythm and only mustered four shots. To be truthful, it was a dull affair since the Friars only had one shot and the game was bogged down with a lot of square passing and no penetration.
The second half was a completely different story. The halftime message was to up the tempo and not to get frustrated. The players responded superbly and the game took on a completely different look and it was only a matter of time before the goals were going to come…….and they were worth waiting on! The first came from a beautiful driven cross from the left from Max Lachowecki in the 69th minute. It flew over the Providence central defenders and Ryan Finley timed his run to perfection and headed neatly past Broome in the Friars’ goal. The second arrived four minutes later and was the result of great pressure by Dillon Powers. He won the game on the left flank, spun round and hammered a hard cross which Ryan Finley met on the volley. He thundered a magnificent left footed shot past the bewildered Friar ‘keeper. This was pretty much the game, but Ryan Finley was able to notch his hat-trick six minutes later when Harry Shipp got taken down in the box and Ryan converted the resulting PK.
All in all, a very satisfying afternoon. This leaves Notre Dame with a 12-3-0 record and two remaining games against #4 Marquette, home on Wednesday, and in Milwaukee on Saturday. Two huge games with big play-off seeding implications!
About Irish United
- Track & Field. Eleven Named to USTFCCCA All-Academic Team
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Pursuing LEED Silver certification
- W. Soccer. Crowley Inspired by Study Abroad Trip to China
- W. Golf. Women's Golf Reveals 2017-18 Schedule
- Track & Field. Irish Land USTFCCCA All-Academic Team Honor
- M. Soccer. Irish Alums, USMNT Take 2017 Gold Cup
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Excited to welcome campers for our second session of the summer today! Can't wait to get started ☘️⚽️ https://t.co/C4rarcAomM 2 weeks ago
- Wishing everybody a happy and safe 4th of July from all of us here at ND Women's Soccer! 🇺🇸☘️#godcountrynotredame https://t.co/MRtCiI5tE5 3 weeks ago
- RT @NDTIX: Season passes now on sale for @NDMenSoccer/@NDSoccer for as low as $18.75! 20 home games = less than $1/gm! Buy: https://t.co/Yl… 3 weeks ago
- RT @casemorrow: Tage loved @NDMenSoccer camp this past week! https://t.co/7YwUUWQC54 1 week ago
- RT @FourFourTwoUSA: .@NDMenSoccer's Bobby Clark: Shaping minds, not just professionals, at @NotreDame. fft.sm/oZ9jiH https://t.c… 3 weeks ago
- Team Red 🆚 Team Blue tonight for our camp All-Star game! 🇺🇸⚽️ #merica https://t.co/0oETioMRgC 3 weeks ago