Oct 22, 2012, 9:32 PM EDT
Senior Day is always bittersweet for the athletes it honors. Players take the field or court in front of their home crowd one last time, an occasion that sparks both pride at what they have accomplished during their careers and sorrow at the prospect of these careers coming to an end. It was Senior Day on Saturday at Alumni Stadium, where Notre Dame’s men’s soccer team hosted Providence in a weekend matinee. Irish senior striker Ryan Finley made sure that one of his last game in the home whites was a source of more fond memories than sad ones, as he netted three goals in less than ten minutes to give Notre Dame a 3-0 win.
Heading into the latter portion of the second half, the Irish and Friars were knotted in scoreless grudge match. Providence entered the game with a paltry three victories on the season but hung tough with the Irish from the outset. Finley opened the scoring in the 70th minute with a picture-perfect header off a cross from sophomore defender Max Lachowecki. The senior struck again four minutes later when captain Dillon Powers sent a gorgeous ball into the box from the left flank, which Finley powerfully volleyed past the Providence goalie. He completed the hat trick with a penalty kick in the 80th minute.
Finley leads the BIG EAST in goals with 14 and points with 31. He has tallied multiple goals in four games this season. His hat trick is Notre Dame’s second in as many games, as junior forward Harry Shipp tickled the twine three times against Seton Hall on October 13th.
Though the Irish struggled at times against a weak Providence squad, they earned a conference win nonetheless. Notre Dame is now 12-3-0 and ranked seventh in the nation. The Irish will conclude with two matches against No. 4 Marquette, the first in South Bend and latter in Milwaukee.
Notre Dame will kick off with the Golden Eagles at 7:00 P.M. on Wednesday at Alumni Stadium.
About Irish United
- Baseball. Vierling Nabs All-ACC Nod
- Football. Sam Mustipher Named To Rimington Trophy Watch List
- Softball. Cal Steals 5-3 Decision From Irish
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Denver Roars Past Irish
- Baseball. ACC Baseball Championship Next Stop For Irish
- Softball. Irish Topple ETSU In Extras, 7-6
- General News. Sunday Brunch: Kiefer Best of the Best
- Baseball. Postseason Bound Irish Fall In Finale
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Fall To Denver In NCAA Championship Quarterfinals
- Baseball. Irish Drop A Wild One To Eagles
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of these ACC champs! Extraordinary people who have accomplished so much already and are just beginning their next… 1 day ago
- Congratulations to our seniors on graduating today!! We are SO proud of you && cannot wait to see what you do next!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @flrmonica5: Irish ☘️ https://t.co/9Zw6gF5AjZ 1 day ago
- Good luck to all our guys during finals week! #finishstrong https://t.co/psRitXdiGw 2 weeks ago
- RT @NDMonogram: National Champions🏆 Team Captains☘️ Dean’s List Students📚 Med School Bound🎓 Congratulations Eva Niklinska 🤺 & Evan Panke… 2 weeks ago
- RT @gamedayND: A break in the weather, just in time for #Friday! Have a great weekend. ☘️😎🌤️🌷 https://t.co/JluRexvDzJ 2 weeks ago