Oct 19, 2012, 8:25 AM EDT
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – University of Notre Dame midfielder Dillon Powers has been named a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award in the men’s soccer division. The Fighting Irish standout is among 10 student-athletes up for the prestigious honor.
To be eligible for the award, a student-athlete must be classified as an NCAA Division I senior and have notable achievements in four areas of excellence – community, classroom, character and competition.
An acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School ®, the Senior CLASS Award focuses on the total student-athlete and encourages students to use their platform in athletics to make a positive impact as leaders in their communities.
The finalists were chosen by a media committee from the list of 30 candidates that were announced in September. Nationwide fan voting begins immediately to help select the winner. Fans are encouraged to vote on the Senior CLASS Award website through November 19 (once daily per computer). Fan votes will be combined with media and Division I head coaches’ votes to determine the winner.
The Senior CLASS Award winner will be announced during the 2012 NCAA Men’s College Cup, which will take place December 7 and 9 in Hoover, Ala.
Powers (Plano, Texas/Plano Senior) is a key reason why the Irish currently are 11-3 and ranked seventh nationally. The central midfielder has started every match this season and has four goals and five assists. His 13 points rank third among all Irish players this season.
Along with the rest of his Fighting Irish teammates, Powers is heavily involved in the South Bend/Notre Dame community by supporting such causes as the Salvation Army, Grassroot Soccer and the Notre Dame Pediatric Christmas Party.
Powers, a two-time Notre Dame team captain, has played in 65 straight games for the Irish, including 52 consecutive starts. He has 36 career points on nine goals and 18 assists. Powers earned second team all-BIG EAST honors as a sophomore and junior.
He boasts a 3.417 cumulative grade-point average in Notre Dame’s College of Arts and Letters. Powers is majoring in political science with a minor in peace studies. He was named a National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Scholar All-American in 2011. Powers also is a three-time BIG EAST Academic All-Star.
Notre Dame (11-3-0, 3-2-0) will play host to Providence (3-8-2, 1-4-0) on Saturday. The BIG EAST showdown is slated for noon (ET) at Alumni Stadium.
Men’s Soccer Senior CLASS Award Finalists
Carlos Alvarez, Connecticut
Ashton Bennett, Coastal Carolina
Steven Birnbaum, California
Scott Caldwell, Akron
Anthony Hobbs, Florida International
Ryan Hollingshead, UCLA
Ryan McDuff, Brown
Dillon Powers, Notre Dame
Eric Schoenle, West Virginia
Kyle Zobeck, Valparaiso
About Irish United
- W. Volleyball. Johnson Announces Volleyball Staff For Upcoming Season
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDSoccer: 🗒🖊@kateeoconnorr and @sammifisherr talked to Goshen's Write on Sports camp about their soccer career and role models. Keep a… 1 week ago
- 🗒🖊@kateeoconnorr and @sammifisherr talked to Goshen's Write on Sports camp about their soccer career and role model… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- RT @46Sports: Nice story today by my man @tnoieNDI on @brooke_vandyck skipping her senior year for @PennGirlsSoccer to play for @NDSoccer… 1 week ago
- Great time viewing the game today with all these soccer fans!! twitter.com/mattcashore/st… 6 days ago
- RT @NDAthEquipment: Delivery day ☝🏻 in the 📚 29 pallets ✔️ What will day ✌🏻 bring? 🤔 #TeamUA @UnderArmour https://t.co/SzBfoJ0vKe 1 week ago
- RT @SaintLouisFC: We need to make a quick introduction: We've signed Saint Louis FC Academy U19 forward Jack Lynn on a USL Academy contract… 2 weeks ago