Oct 19, 2012, 8:25 AM EST
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – University of Notre Dame midfielder Dillon Powers has been named a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award in the men’s soccer division. The Fighting Irish standout is among 10 student-athletes up for the prestigious honor.
To be eligible for the award, a student-athlete must be classified as an NCAA Division I senior and have notable achievements in four areas of excellence – community, classroom, character and competition.
An acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School ®, the Senior CLASS Award focuses on the total student-athlete and encourages students to use their platform in athletics to make a positive impact as leaders in their communities.
The finalists were chosen by a media committee from the list of 30 candidates that were announced in September. Nationwide fan voting begins immediately to help select the winner. Fans are encouraged to vote on the Senior CLASS Award website through November 19 (once daily per computer). Fan votes will be combined with media and Division I head coaches’ votes to determine the winner.
The Senior CLASS Award winner will be announced during the 2012 NCAA Men’s College Cup, which will take place December 7 and 9 in Hoover, Ala.
Powers (Plano, Texas/Plano Senior) is a key reason why the Irish currently are 11-3 and ranked seventh nationally. The central midfielder has started every match this season and has four goals and five assists. His 13 points rank third among all Irish players this season.
Along with the rest of his Fighting Irish teammates, Powers is heavily involved in the South Bend/Notre Dame community by supporting such causes as the Salvation Army, Grassroot Soccer and the Notre Dame Pediatric Christmas Party.
Powers, a two-time Notre Dame team captain, has played in 65 straight games for the Irish, including 52 consecutive starts. He has 36 career points on nine goals and 18 assists. Powers earned second team all-BIG EAST honors as a sophomore and junior.
He boasts a 3.417 cumulative grade-point average in Notre Dame’s College of Arts and Letters. Powers is majoring in political science with a minor in peace studies. He was named a National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Scholar All-American in 2011. Powers also is a three-time BIG EAST Academic All-Star.
Notre Dame (11-3-0, 3-2-0) will play host to Providence (3-8-2, 1-4-0) on Saturday. The BIG EAST showdown is slated for noon (ET) at Alumni Stadium.
Men’s Soccer Senior CLASS Award Finalists
Carlos Alvarez, Connecticut
Ashton Bennett, Coastal Carolina
Steven Birnbaum, California
Scott Caldwell, Akron
Anthony Hobbs, Florida International
Ryan Hollingshead, UCLA
Ryan McDuff, Brown
Dillon Powers, Notre Dame
Eric Schoenle, West Virginia
Kyle Zobeck, Valparaiso
About Irish United
- Swimming & Diving. Inside Irish: 2017 ACC Women’s Swimming & Men/Women’s Diving Championships
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: Purdue
- Track. Irish Excited for Home Advantage in Upcoming ACC Championships
- W. Basketball. Nelson Returning For Fifth Season
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Honored, Irish Move Up In Rankings
- W. Basketball. Marina Mabrey Claims ACC Player of the Week
- Track. Into Focus: Rachel DaDamio
- W. Basketball. Late Irish Rally Spurs Victory Over Orange
- M. Tennis. Irish Etch Sixth Sweep In 7-0 Victory Over Hoosiers
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Alamo Irish Classic Finale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇺🇸 President George Bush at the White House with the 2004 National Championship @NDSoccer team. #PresidentsDay https:/… 1 day ago
- RT @NDCommitment: @NDSoccer taking time to help with @SJCHabitat #habitat https://t.co/0Or5G412qz 4 days ago
- Check out the awesome work @kaleigholmsted is doing with her NoBody is Perfect campaign! READ:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.