Oct 11, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT
On Friday, Notre Dame women’s soccer will travel to our nation’s capitol to take on Georgetown University. Both teams are 6-0-1 in BIG EAST play, which means the team that wins this weekend’s game will have advantage in securing one of the top spots in the conference tournament. The Irish won their first six conference games and tied in their game last weekend against Rutgers in double-overtime.
Head coach Randy Waldrum‘s team will likely find a challenging match against the Hoyas, who have scored five more goals and allowed two fewer through 15 games thus far. It’s also a game 606 miles away from home at Alumni Stadium.
The most challenging individuals for the Irish will be Georgetown goalkeeper Emma Newins, who has made 52 saves this season, and midfielder Daphne Corboz, who has scored 15 goals. But the Irish will counter Newins and Corboz with forward Crystal Thomas (eight goals) and goalkeeper Elyse Hight (six saves).
Hight revealed her mental state in anticipation for the game. “With a hard atmosphere and team, as a goalkeeper you have to go into the game with a very aggressive mindset that you will not let anything get by you. Also, I just have to trust in my abilities to get the job done that is set in front of me….After tying on Sunday, I think that our whole team is hungry for a big win over a good team, and Georgetown presents us that opportunity.”
Notre Dame leads the series against Georgetown with a whopping 16-1-1 record, so perhaps the Hoyas are not as looming an opponent as their season statistics would indicate. On the other hand, underestimating the opponent is the easiest way to give them the advantage.
Junior midfielder Elizabeth Tucker, who has made five goals this season, said of the game, “Georgetown is a big game for us. It is a great opportunity to get a big win against a ranked team, and to position ourselves to win the BIG EAST regular season. Our team has had a good week of practice, we have been playing well the past few weekends, and we will be ready to put on a strong performance Friday night.”
“The game against Georgetown will be challenging and important, and we are looking forward to it. As a team it means getting ourselves where we need to be and putting ourselves in a good position to win the conference. We know how important this game is and are going to make sure that we get the win,” said Thomas.
This game should surely bring out the best of the Irish both physically and mentally. As many of the players and their coaches have state, their goal is to win a national championship this season, and this game is just one step closer to that goal.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Slaggert And St. Cyr Win Gold With Team USA U18’s
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish ACC Championship First Round: Pittsburgh
- M. Tennis. Hagar Snares ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- Baseball. Crusaders Venture To The Eck
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Goals! Goals! Goals! See all of the goals we scored this Spring & come to Alumni on Friday to catch us vs. Mexico!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- Thank you to every one who gave and voted for us on #NDday! We ended up 4th in Athletics with 669 votes! Thank you! notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/wome… 6 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: NCAA Champion🏆 3 Olympic Gold Medals🥇🥇🥇 World Cup Champion🏆 ☘️@Shannon Boxx (‘99 ⚽️) is our spring Monogram Jacket Ceremon… 6 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Hey SA's, want to make the most out of your opportunities at ND? Come talk to @NDMenSoccer alum, Grant Van De Casteele Th… 3 hours ago
- A HUGE thank you to everyone who donated and voted for Men's Soccer this past week! We finished second in athletics… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Ever wonder how our 2017 O.S.C.A.R.S hosts are preparing for the show on Thur, May 4th? Cross training of course! 🍀⚽️➡️🏒… 5 hours ago