Oct 11, 2012, 9:13 AM EST
On Friday, Notre Dame women’s soccer will travel to our nation’s capitol to take on Georgetown University. Both teams are 6-0-1 in BIG EAST play, which means the team that wins this weekend’s game will have advantage in securing one of the top spots in the conference tournament. The Irish won their first six conference games and tied in their game last weekend against Rutgers in double-overtime.
Head coach Randy Waldrum‘s team will likely find a challenging match against the Hoyas, who have scored five more goals and allowed two fewer through 15 games thus far. It’s also a game 606 miles away from home at Alumni Stadium.
The most challenging individuals for the Irish will be Georgetown goalkeeper Emma Newins, who has made 52 saves this season, and midfielder Daphne Corboz, who has scored 15 goals. But the Irish will counter Newins and Corboz with forward Crystal Thomas (eight goals) and goalkeeper Elyse Hight (six saves).
Hight revealed her mental state in anticipation for the game. “With a hard atmosphere and team, as a goalkeeper you have to go into the game with a very aggressive mindset that you will not let anything get by you. Also, I just have to trust in my abilities to get the job done that is set in front of me….After tying on Sunday, I think that our whole team is hungry for a big win over a good team, and Georgetown presents us that opportunity.”
Notre Dame leads the series against Georgetown with a whopping 16-1-1 record, so perhaps the Hoyas are not as looming an opponent as their season statistics would indicate. On the other hand, underestimating the opponent is the easiest way to give them the advantage.
Junior midfielder Elizabeth Tucker, who has made five goals this season, said of the game, “Georgetown is a big game for us. It is a great opportunity to get a big win against a ranked team, and to position ourselves to win the BIG EAST regular season. Our team has had a good week of practice, we have been playing well the past few weekends, and we will be ready to put on a strong performance Friday night.”
“The game against Georgetown will be challenging and important, and we are looking forward to it. As a team it means getting ourselves where we need to be and putting ourselves in a good position to win the conference. We know how important this game is and are going to make sure that we get the win,” said Thomas.
This game should surely bring out the best of the Irish both physically and mentally. As many of the players and their coaches have state, their goal is to win a national championship this season, and this game is just one step closer to that goal.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Primed For Weekend Series With #6 Minnesota
- Football. Offensive Line Named Joe Moore Award Semifinalists
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Finalist
- W. Basketball. No. 6 Irish Depart for Gulf Coast Showcase
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Wichita State - Five Things To Know
- M. Basketball. Championship Bound: Irish Dominate LSU 92-53 In Maui Invitational Semifinal
- Baseball. Baseball Unveils 2018 Campaign
- W. Volleyball. Irish Ride Five Match Win Streak Into Final Week Of Regular Season
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Big Ten’s First Star For Second Consecutive Week
- Football. Eighth-Ranked Irish Look To Harvest 10th Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It was great to see Jill Krivacek ('07) back at Notre Dame as a panelist for last night's @espnW Campus Conversatio… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of @ndsoccer and their spirit to battle back in the sweet 16 yesterday. Unfortunately we came up short but not wi… 1 day ago
- Thank you to our senior class that has given us 4+ years of unforgettable laughter, love and hard work. 💚 Notre Da… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- 🏆 Best of luck to Irish alumni Justin Morrow and Brandon Aubrey (Toronto FC vs. Columbus Crew, 8 p.m. ET, Eastern C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- We want to properly recognize and congratulate our senior class and pair of graduate captains for their outstanding… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Wisconsin wins 1-0 2 days ago