Oct 11, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT
On Friday, Notre Dame women’s soccer will travel to our nation’s capitol to take on Georgetown University. Both teams are 6-0-1 in BIG EAST play, which means the team that wins this weekend’s game will have advantage in securing one of the top spots in the conference tournament. The Irish won their first six conference games and tied in their game last weekend against Rutgers in double-overtime.
Head coach Randy Waldrum‘s team will likely find a challenging match against the Hoyas, who have scored five more goals and allowed two fewer through 15 games thus far. It’s also a game 606 miles away from home at Alumni Stadium.
The most challenging individuals for the Irish will be Georgetown goalkeeper Emma Newins, who has made 52 saves this season, and midfielder Daphne Corboz, who has scored 15 goals. But the Irish will counter Newins and Corboz with forward Crystal Thomas (eight goals) and goalkeeper Elyse Hight (six saves).
Hight revealed her mental state in anticipation for the game. “With a hard atmosphere and team, as a goalkeeper you have to go into the game with a very aggressive mindset that you will not let anything get by you. Also, I just have to trust in my abilities to get the job done that is set in front of me….After tying on Sunday, I think that our whole team is hungry for a big win over a good team, and Georgetown presents us that opportunity.”
Notre Dame leads the series against Georgetown with a whopping 16-1-1 record, so perhaps the Hoyas are not as looming an opponent as their season statistics would indicate. On the other hand, underestimating the opponent is the easiest way to give them the advantage.
Junior midfielder Elizabeth Tucker, who has made five goals this season, said of the game, “Georgetown is a big game for us. It is a great opportunity to get a big win against a ranked team, and to position ourselves to win the BIG EAST regular season. Our team has had a good week of practice, we have been playing well the past few weekends, and we will be ready to put on a strong performance Friday night.”
“The game against Georgetown will be challenging and important, and we are looking forward to it. As a team it means getting ourselves where we need to be and putting ourselves in a good position to win the conference. We know how important this game is and are going to make sure that we get the win,” said Thomas.
This game should surely bring out the best of the Irish both physically and mentally. As many of the players and their coaches have state, their goal is to win a national championship this season, and this game is just one step closer to that goal.
About Irish United
- Fencing. Irish Remain On Top Of NCAA Championship Leaderboard
- M. Lacrosse. Irish And Buckeyes Ready For Top-Five Matchup On Saturday
- Baseball. Irish & Noles To Play Two Friday
- Baseball. Irish Host Florida State For Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. 200 Free Relay Earn All- American Honors in Second Day of Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- Softball. Irish Welcome Virginia Tech For Key ACC Series
- Fencing. Irish Surge Into First Place On Day One At NCAA Championship
- Fencing. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Columbia Top Standings After Day 1 of NCAA Championships
- Football. DeShone Kizer: Another Day, Another Impression
- Track. Keys To The Meet: Raleigh Relays
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- What a beautiful day for some soccer! Excited to kick off our Spring season tonight vs. Purdue! ☀️⚽️☘️ https://t.co/Vwa2PTCHXt 5 hours ago
- SCHEDULE CHANGE! Our first spring game vs. Purdue has been moved to Friday @ 7:30pm! We will play on LaBar Practice… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Good Luck to Sandra Yu as she heads to Portland for camp with the US U-23s! und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @NDSoccer: What a beautiful day for some soccer! Excited to kick off our Spring season tonight vs. Purdue! ☀️⚽️☘️ https://t.co/Vwa2PTCHXt 3 hours ago
- Irish fans, get your tickets now to watch us play this Saturday in the 2017 College Challenge in Pontiac, MI! 🎟️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
- Rounding out St. Patty's Day and spring break with a fantastic dinner at @JamesJoycePubMD! Thanks for having us!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago