Oct 11, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT
On Friday, Notre Dame women’s soccer will travel to our nation’s capitol to take on Georgetown University. Both teams are 6-0-1 in BIG EAST play, which means the team that wins this weekend’s game will have advantage in securing one of the top spots in the conference tournament. The Irish won their first six conference games and tied in their game last weekend against Rutgers in double-overtime.
Head coach Randy Waldrum‘s team will likely find a challenging match against the Hoyas, who have scored five more goals and allowed two fewer through 15 games thus far. It’s also a game 606 miles away from home at Alumni Stadium.
The most challenging individuals for the Irish will be Georgetown goalkeeper Emma Newins, who has made 52 saves this season, and midfielder Daphne Corboz, who has scored 15 goals. But the Irish will counter Newins and Corboz with forward Crystal Thomas (eight goals) and goalkeeper Elyse Hight (six saves).
Hight revealed her mental state in anticipation for the game. “With a hard atmosphere and team, as a goalkeeper you have to go into the game with a very aggressive mindset that you will not let anything get by you. Also, I just have to trust in my abilities to get the job done that is set in front of me….After tying on Sunday, I think that our whole team is hungry for a big win over a good team, and Georgetown presents us that opportunity.”
Notre Dame leads the series against Georgetown with a whopping 16-1-1 record, so perhaps the Hoyas are not as looming an opponent as their season statistics would indicate. On the other hand, underestimating the opponent is the easiest way to give them the advantage.
Junior midfielder Elizabeth Tucker, who has made five goals this season, said of the game, “Georgetown is a big game for us. It is a great opportunity to get a big win against a ranked team, and to position ourselves to win the BIG EAST regular season. Our team has had a good week of practice, we have been playing well the past few weekends, and we will be ready to put on a strong performance Friday night.”
“The game against Georgetown will be challenging and important, and we are looking forward to it. As a team it means getting ourselves where we need to be and putting ourselves in a good position to win the conference. We know how important this game is and are going to make sure that we get the win,” said Thomas.
This game should surely bring out the best of the Irish both physically and mentally. As many of the players and their coaches have state, their goal is to win a national championship this season, and this game is just one step closer to that goal.
About Irish United
- Track & Field. Eleven Named to USTFCCCA All-Academic Team
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Pursuing LEED Silver certification
- W. Soccer. Crowley Inspired by Study Abroad Trip to China
- W. Golf. Women's Golf Reveals 2017-18 Schedule
- Track & Field. Irish Land USTFCCCA All-Academic Team Honor
- M. Soccer. Irish Alums, USMNT Take 2017 Gold Cup
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Excited to welcome campers for our second session of the summer today! Can't wait to get started ☘️⚽️ https://t.co/C4rarcAomM 2 weeks ago
- Wishing everybody a happy and safe 4th of July from all of us here at ND Women's Soccer! 🇺🇸☘️#godcountrynotredame https://t.co/MRtCiI5tE5 3 weeks ago
- RT @NDTIX: Season passes now on sale for @NDMenSoccer/@NDSoccer for as low as $18.75! 20 home games = less than $1/gm! Buy: https://t.co/Yl… 3 weeks ago
- RT @casemorrow: Tage loved @NDMenSoccer camp this past week! https://t.co/7YwUUWQC54 1 week ago
- RT @FourFourTwoUSA: .@NDMenSoccer's Bobby Clark: Shaping minds, not just professionals, at @NotreDame. fft.sm/oZ9jiH https://t.c… 3 weeks ago
- Team Red 🆚 Team Blue tonight for our camp All-Star game! 🇺🇸⚽️ #merica https://t.co/0oETioMRgC 3 weeks ago