Oct 9, 2012, 11:58 PM EDT
Northwestern 2 – Notre Dame 1
It was a very windy night in Evanston as the Irish took the field against the Northwestern Wildcats. Whether it was the unfamiliar field turf surface, the elements, or a combination of both, Notre Dame had a very rocky opening 20 minutes that saw them go 2-0 down. The first goal came in the 15th minute when Calistri got in behind the Notre Dame defense on their right side, opened his hips and slid a perfect shot low past Pat Wall in the Irish goal.
Northwestern fans did not have long to wait for their second, as five minutes later, they went two goals up. This time they got in behind on the left, cut the ball back to Seetane who hammered a fantastic shot high into the top left hand corner of the net. It was a very sad and disillusioned Notre Dame team that came off the field at the half. The Irish had not really been outplayed, but looked disjointed and found it difficult to find any rhythm in their play.
The second half was a completely different story. The Irish came out with much more resolve and took over large parts of the game, outshooting the Wildcats, 15-2 in this second period. Miller, in the Northwestern goal, having four excellent saves to Pat Wall’s none. The last 20 minutes saw Notre Dame spend the game exclusively in the Northwestern half, but a goal refused to come until the 85th minute when Patrick Hodan latched onto a loose ball and brought the score to a one-goal difference. Notre Dame really huffed and puffed at this stage, but Northwestern saw out the half to notch up its eighth victory of the year. Notre Dame saw its record fall to 10-3-0 with all three losses coming on the road, all by a 2-1 margin.
Speaking of road games, the Irish are back traveling on Saturday, when they return to conference play and take on Seton Hall in New Jersey. Here’s hoping to get back into winning ways!
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Richter Award Finalist
- Baseball. Register Now: Irish Baseball Summer Camp
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Edged By Michigan, 13-12
- W. Soccer. SCHEDULE CHANGE: Irish to Face Purdue on Friday
- Baseball. Johnson Named Senior CLASS Candidate
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Playoffs Begin For No. 2 Irish
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: 2018 NCAA Championships
- Fencing. Sirico Named ACC Fencer of the Year for Women's Epee
- Baseball. Irish Drop Home Opener to NIU
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🚨SCHEDULE CHANGE 🚨 Notre Dame's spring opener at Purdue has been moved to 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday! ☘️⚽️ ➡️ MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @NotreDame: Happy Saint Patrick's Day! https://t.co/wEeK2ITAFC 5 days ago
- 👀 We see you, Sandra! #NDFamily ☘️ twitter.com/thornsfc/statu… 1 week ago
- Indy Eleven ✔︎ MSU ✔︎ Oakland ✔︎ Valpo ✔︎ Green Bay ✔︎ UK ✔︎ Bethel ✔︎ IU ✔︎ 🇲🇽 ✔︎ Come watch the Irish this sprin… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 weeks ago
- Congratulations to another of our own, 2007 grad and four-year Monogram winner Nate Norman, the new head coach of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
- Rounding out our newcomers is a midfielder from the state of Virginia. Welcome Bryan Silver! 🖋⚽️☘ https://t.co/2tXDjWIWYb 1 month ago