Oct 9, 2012, 11:58 PM EST
Northwestern 2 – Notre Dame 1
It was a very windy night in Evanston as the Irish took the field against the Northwestern Wildcats. Whether it was the unfamiliar field turf surface, the elements, or a combination of both, Notre Dame had a very rocky opening 20 minutes that saw them go 2-0 down. The first goal came in the 15th minute when Calistri got in behind the Notre Dame defense on their right side, opened his hips and slid a perfect shot low past Pat Wall in the Irish goal.
Northwestern fans did not have long to wait for their second, as five minutes later, they went two goals up. This time they got in behind on the left, cut the ball back to Seetane who hammered a fantastic shot high into the top left hand corner of the net. It was a very sad and disillusioned Notre Dame team that came off the field at the half. The Irish had not really been outplayed, but looked disjointed and found it difficult to find any rhythm in their play.
The second half was a completely different story. The Irish came out with much more resolve and took over large parts of the game, outshooting the Wildcats, 15-2 in this second period. Miller, in the Northwestern goal, having four excellent saves to Pat Wall’s none. The last 20 minutes saw Notre Dame spend the game exclusively in the Northwestern half, but a goal refused to come until the 85th minute when Patrick Hodan latched onto a loose ball and brought the score to a one-goal difference. Notre Dame really huffed and puffed at this stage, but Northwestern saw out the half to notch up its eighth victory of the year. Notre Dame saw its record fall to 10-3-0 with all three losses coming on the road, all by a 2-1 margin.
Speaking of road games, the Irish are back traveling on Saturday, when they return to conference play and take on Seton Hall in New Jersey. Here’s hoping to get back into winning ways!
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
- Baseball. Greene Tabbed Auburn Athletic Director
- M. Soccer. Jon Gallagher Selected 14th Overall In 2018 MLS SuperDraft
- Track & Field. Welcome Home: Keys to the Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Keys To The Meets: St. John's and Philadelphia Invitationals
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Rally to 84-70 Victory Over No. 6 Vols
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish On The Road At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame at Clemson - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ICYMI: Sandra Yu was drafted No. 8 overall in the #NWSLDraft by @ThornsFC! ☘️🌹 MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 11 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Congratulations to @NDSoccer's Sandra Yu who was selected 8th overall at the @NWSL draft! Meet @ThornsFC's newest draft… 11 hours ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Sandra Yu became the fourth Irish athlete to be drafted by the @NWSL since 2012. The midfielder was selected No. 8 overall b… 18 hours ago
- That feeling you get when you hear your name called on Draft Day...☘️⚽️ (all rights to MLSSoccer.com) https://t.co/3R8D5y12Ob 10 hours ago
- Notre Dame has now seen 28 players selected in the #MLSSuperDraft since 2004, including 22 players in the first two… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- Hear from Atlanta’s latest draft pick himself! 🎤🎥 twitter.com/mls/status/954… 14 hours ago