Oct 8, 2012, 1:36 PM EST
Notre Dame 3 – Georgetown 0
What a great advert for college soccer today at Alumni Stadium. The game opened with Notre Dame forcing the the play, putting six shots on the board before the Hoyas mustered an effort. During this early barrage Notre Dame went ahead in the eighth minute through an Alex Priede goal. It was typical opportunist goal from the Cincinnati, Ohio striker when he latched onto a loose ball in the penalty area following a Dillon Powers corner kick. Alex is one of the best in the business at putting away half chances!
Half way through the first half Georgetown found their feet and began to get into the game threatening the Irish goal with some searching crosses. During this period Grant Van De Casteele and Connor Miller provided a steady rock in the middle of the Notre defense and ensured that the score remained at 1-0 at the half. This was a fair reflection as Notre Dame was leading Georgetown, 14-8 in shots and deserved to be in front.
The second period began with strong Georgetown pressure as they tried to get back into the game. Notre Dame, however, was very organized as a defensive unit and looked very dangerous on the break. Their transition from defense to attack was very fast and incisive and it was no surprise when in the 66th minute, they went further ahead. Nick Besler stepped onto a Georgetown pass winning the ball in midfield. He played the ball quickly to Harry Shipp who in turn played Ryan Finley through. Ryan finished the job off, rounding the goalkeeper and hitting home. One minute later it was all over when Ryan Finley struck again to make it 3-0. This time he took a feed from Patrick Hodan and lashed a cannon past the Georgetown goalkeeper.
Again, it was a fantastic advert for college soccer. Two very good teams playing fast, skillful, attacking soccer…..it doesn’t get any better than that. Next up is Northwestern on Tuesday night and this is another top-20 team on the road, so another tough challenge but one to look forward to…………………….. Go Irish!
About Irish United
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Flores and Westendorf have been named to @CoSIDAAcadAA Academic All-District second team! ☘️📕✏️ ➡️ STORY:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago
- Happy Belated Birthday to Kelly Moss!!! We hope it was a great one!! 🎉🎂🎊 https://t.co/3wjprVUIDH 1 week ago
- S/o to Karin Muya for being named to the All-ACC Third Team!! She set a career high with 7 goals and 15 points this… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- The #7️⃣ goal of the season came from Thomas Ueland, as the senior finished off a beautiful 1-2 passing sequence fo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 11 hours ago
- The #8️⃣ goal in our countdown was the 2nd half match winner from Aiden McFadden! His sliding finish was the differ… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 21 hours ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: Coming in at #9️⃣ in our top 10 goals of the season is Ian Aschieris' volley in the win over Northwestern! The Irish will… 1 day ago