Oct 8, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
Notre Dame 3 – Georgetown 0
What a great advert for college soccer today at Alumni Stadium. The game opened with Notre Dame forcing the the play, putting six shots on the board before the Hoyas mustered an effort. During this early barrage Notre Dame went ahead in the eighth minute through an Alex Priede goal. It was typical opportunist goal from the Cincinnati, Ohio striker when he latched onto a loose ball in the penalty area following a Dillon Powers corner kick. Alex is one of the best in the business at putting away half chances!
Half way through the first half Georgetown found their feet and began to get into the game threatening the Irish goal with some searching crosses. During this period Grant Van De Casteele and Connor Miller provided a steady rock in the middle of the Notre defense and ensured that the score remained at 1-0 at the half. This was a fair reflection as Notre Dame was leading Georgetown, 14-8 in shots and deserved to be in front.
The second period began with strong Georgetown pressure as they tried to get back into the game. Notre Dame, however, was very organized as a defensive unit and looked very dangerous on the break. Their transition from defense to attack was very fast and incisive and it was no surprise when in the 66th minute, they went further ahead. Nick Besler stepped onto a Georgetown pass winning the ball in midfield. He played the ball quickly to Harry Shipp who in turn played Ryan Finley through. Ryan finished the job off, rounding the goalkeeper and hitting home. One minute later it was all over when Ryan Finley struck again to make it 3-0. This time he took a feed from Patrick Hodan and lashed a cannon past the Georgetown goalkeeper.
Again, it was a fantastic advert for college soccer. Two very good teams playing fast, skillful, attacking soccer…..it doesn’t get any better than that. Next up is Northwestern on Tuesday night and this is another top-20 team on the road, so another tough challenge but one to look forward to…………………….. Go Irish!
About Irish United
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
- Track. Irish Close Record-Setting Day at Baylor
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Earn No. 4 Seed In ACC Tournament
- M. Golf. Golfers Conclude ACCs in 10th
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish Football ‘Process’ Ongoing
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN. Vote for Women's Soccer on #NDday before it's over! 10 minutes! notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/wome… 2 hours ago
- We are tied for 3rd! Help us pass Swimming & Diving.. or, better yet, can you help us catch Men's Soccer?! #NDday… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- We are only 3 votes away from 3rd place!! vote! Vote! Vote! notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/wome… https://t.co/spdpRnLkxO 7 hours ago
- There are 1⃣0⃣ more hours until voting closes! Get your votes in for men's soccer! #NDday ➡️ notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/mens… https://t.co/UeN8u8scgf 12 hours ago
- We're in the home stretch and we need your votes! Help men's soccer reach that #1 spot! #NDday ➡️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: Voting is now open! Your $10 donation and votes for men's soccer can help us receive a piece of $1 million! #NDday https… 2 days ago