Oct 8, 2012, 1:36 PM EST
Notre Dame 3 – Georgetown 0
What a great advert for college soccer today at Alumni Stadium. The game opened with Notre Dame forcing the the play, putting six shots on the board before the Hoyas mustered an effort. During this early barrage Notre Dame went ahead in the eighth minute through an Alex Priede goal. It was typical opportunist goal from the Cincinnati, Ohio striker when he latched onto a loose ball in the penalty area following a Dillon Powers corner kick. Alex is one of the best in the business at putting away half chances!
Half way through the first half Georgetown found their feet and began to get into the game threatening the Irish goal with some searching crosses. During this period Grant Van De Casteele and Connor Miller provided a steady rock in the middle of the Notre defense and ensured that the score remained at 1-0 at the half. This was a fair reflection as Notre Dame was leading Georgetown, 14-8 in shots and deserved to be in front.
The second period began with strong Georgetown pressure as they tried to get back into the game. Notre Dame, however, was very organized as a defensive unit and looked very dangerous on the break. Their transition from defense to attack was very fast and incisive and it was no surprise when in the 66th minute, they went further ahead. Nick Besler stepped onto a Georgetown pass winning the ball in midfield. He played the ball quickly to Harry Shipp who in turn played Ryan Finley through. Ryan finished the job off, rounding the goalkeeper and hitting home. One minute later it was all over when Ryan Finley struck again to make it 3-0. This time he took a feed from Patrick Hodan and lashed a cannon past the Georgetown goalkeeper.
Again, it was a fantastic advert for college soccer. Two very good teams playing fast, skillful, attacking soccer…..it doesn’t get any better than that. Next up is Northwestern on Tuesday night and this is another top-20 team on the road, so another tough challenge but one to look forward to…………………….. Go Irish!
About Irish United
- M. Soccer. Sunday Brunch: The Riley Era-Long Time in the Making
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish Complete ACC Sweep At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Mooney's Career Day Not Enough In Loss At Clemson
- Track & Field. Shead, Irish race to top-three finishes at Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Find Success At St. John's Invitational
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Look to Carry Momentum into Clemson Game Sunday
- M. Ice Hockey. Replay: Irish Hockey Rolls On
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ICYMI: Sandra Yu was drafted No. 8 overall in the #NWSLDraft by @ThornsFC! ☘️🌹 MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Congratulations to @NDSoccer's Sandra Yu who was selected 8th overall at the @NWSL draft! Meet @ThornsFC's newest draft… 1 day ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Sandra Yu became the fourth Irish athlete to be drafted by the @NWSL since 2012. The midfielder was selected No. 8 overall b… 1 day ago
- That feeling you get when you hear your name called on Draft Day...☘️⚽️ (all rights to MLSSoccer.com) https://t.co/3R8D5y12Ob 1 day ago
- Notre Dame has now seen 28 players selected in the #MLSSuperDraft since 2004, including 22 players in the first two… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Hear from Atlanta’s latest draft pick himself! 🎤🎥 twitter.com/mls/status/954… 1 day ago