Oct 8, 2012, 12:50 PM EST
The Irish were able to extend their unbeaten streak with a 2-2 tie versus Rutgers in their final home game of the regular season. Although the conditions were cold and rainy, the team still fought hard and was able to hold off a tough opponent.
Both goals came in the first half from freshman forward Crystal Thomas. Though it may not be reflected in the score, the Irish displayed elements of dominance throughout the game and showed how dangerous they can be in the final third.
In addition to being an important game for their record, this Sunday’s game versus Rutgers was for a good cause as well. Officially titled, Kicks Against Cancer, the game was in honor of cancer survivors and those currently battling cancer. With October being breast cancer awareness month, all proceeds from the game went towards the Kicks Against Breast Cancer fund and Michiana Hematology/Oncology.
The team sported special gold jerseys for the event with pink breast cancer ribbons on the back. The jerseys will be auctioned off throughout the month of October with the money raised going towards the deemed charities. The auctioned jerseys, worn by the Irish for the first time in the game, give the team a chance to give back to the community and show support to others in need.
“We look forward to playing this game every year because it gives us a chance to help other people through our sport,” said junior midfielder Rebecca Twining.
Sophomore forward Lauren Bohaboy mirrored these sentiments saying, “One of the best parts of being an athlete is being able to make a difference in a special way. we get so much support from the community and it’s nice to be able to give back.”
This game certainly offered a unique opportunity for the Irish to help out a great cause and show their support for breast cancer survivors.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
- Baseball. Greene Tabbed Auburn Athletic Director
- M. Soccer. Jon Gallagher Selected 14th Overall In 2018 MLS SuperDraft
- Track & Field. Welcome Home: Keys to the Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Keys To The Meets: St. John's and Philadelphia Invitationals
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Rally to 84-70 Victory Over No. 6 Vols
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish On The Road At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame at Clemson - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ICYMI: Sandra Yu was drafted No. 8 overall in the #NWSLDraft by @ThornsFC! ☘️🌹 MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 11 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Congratulations to @NDSoccer's Sandra Yu who was selected 8th overall at the @NWSL draft! Meet @ThornsFC's newest draft… 11 hours ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Sandra Yu became the fourth Irish athlete to be drafted by the @NWSL since 2012. The midfielder was selected No. 8 overall b… 18 hours ago
- That feeling you get when you hear your name called on Draft Day...☘️⚽️ (all rights to MLSSoccer.com) https://t.co/3R8D5y12Ob 10 hours ago
- Notre Dame has now seen 28 players selected in the #MLSSuperDraft since 2004, including 22 players in the first two… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 hours ago
- Hear from Atlanta’s latest draft pick himself! 🎤🎥 twitter.com/mls/status/954… 15 hours ago