Oct 8, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
The Irish were able to extend their unbeaten streak with a 2-2 tie versus Rutgers in their final home game of the regular season. Although the conditions were cold and rainy, the team still fought hard and was able to hold off a tough opponent.
Both goals came in the first half from freshman forward Crystal Thomas. Though it may not be reflected in the score, the Irish displayed elements of dominance throughout the game and showed how dangerous they can be in the final third.
In addition to being an important game for their record, this Sunday’s game versus Rutgers was for a good cause as well. Officially titled, Kicks Against Cancer, the game was in honor of cancer survivors and those currently battling cancer. With October being breast cancer awareness month, all proceeds from the game went towards the Kicks Against Breast Cancer fund and Michiana Hematology/Oncology.
The team sported special gold jerseys for the event with pink breast cancer ribbons on the back. The jerseys will be auctioned off throughout the month of October with the money raised going towards the deemed charities. The auctioned jerseys, worn by the Irish for the first time in the game, give the team a chance to give back to the community and show support to others in need.
“We look forward to playing this game every year because it gives us a chance to help other people through our sport,” said junior midfielder Rebecca Twining.
Sophomore forward Lauren Bohaboy mirrored these sentiments saying, “One of the best parts of being an athlete is being able to make a difference in a special way. we get so much support from the community and it’s nice to be able to give back.”
This game certainly offered a unique opportunity for the Irish to help out a great cause and show their support for breast cancer survivors.
About Irish United
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Photos #5 - ACC CHAMPS! @NDSoccer took down Miami 2-0 at home for its 1st regular-season ACC… 1 day ago
- RT @DawnSiergiej: One of the coolest 🌈 I've ever seen. Take it as good luck while recruiting future Irish. ☘️☘️☘️ https://t.co/KSIjs43SkH 1 day ago
- RT @FIFAWWC: 9⃣0⃣mins. ✅ 5⃣7⃣2⃣9⃣metres. ✅ 🏔️👩⚽️Mount Kilimanjaro. ✅ What an amazing achievement @EPFinitiative. 📸 facebook.com/pg/fifawomensw… h… 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇺🇸FOR THE RED, WHITE & BLUE TWO @NDMenSoccer alums to play for US Men's National Team in 2017 Gold Cup. 👀@ussoccer htt… 21 hours ago
- Congratulations to ND soccer alums @MattBesler & @justmorrow for being named to the 23-man @ussoccer 2017 Gold Cup… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Our 2017 gauntlet has been released! Get your season tickets now! 🎟️ ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomme… https://t.co/l1LRVAX3o7 6 days ago