Oct 8, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
The Irish were able to extend their unbeaten streak with a 2-2 tie versus Rutgers in their final home game of the regular season. Although the conditions were cold and rainy, the team still fought hard and was able to hold off a tough opponent.
Both goals came in the first half from freshman forward Crystal Thomas. Though it may not be reflected in the score, the Irish displayed elements of dominance throughout the game and showed how dangerous they can be in the final third.
In addition to being an important game for their record, this Sunday’s game versus Rutgers was for a good cause as well. Officially titled, Kicks Against Cancer, the game was in honor of cancer survivors and those currently battling cancer. With October being breast cancer awareness month, all proceeds from the game went towards the Kicks Against Breast Cancer fund and Michiana Hematology/Oncology.
The team sported special gold jerseys for the event with pink breast cancer ribbons on the back. The jerseys will be auctioned off throughout the month of October with the money raised going towards the deemed charities. The auctioned jerseys, worn by the Irish for the first time in the game, give the team a chance to give back to the community and show support to others in need.
“We look forward to playing this game every year because it gives us a chance to help other people through our sport,” said junior midfielder Rebecca Twining.
Sophomore forward Lauren Bohaboy mirrored these sentiments saying, “One of the best parts of being an athlete is being able to make a difference in a special way. we get so much support from the community and it’s nice to be able to give back.”
This game certainly offered a unique opportunity for the Irish to help out a great cause and show their support for breast cancer survivors.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Slaggert And St. Cyr Win Gold With Team USA U18’s
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish ACC Championship First Round: Pittsburgh
- M. Tennis. Hagar Snares ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- Baseball. Crusaders Venture To The Eck
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Goals! Goals! Goals! See all of the goals we scored this Spring & come to Alumni on Friday to catch us vs. Mexico!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- Thank you to every one who gave and voted for us on #NDday! We ended up 4th in Athletics with 669 votes! Thank you! notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/wome… 6 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: NCAA Champion🏆 3 Olympic Gold Medals🥇🥇🥇 World Cup Champion🏆 ☘️@Shannon Boxx (‘99 ⚽️) is our spring Monogram Jacket Ceremon… 6 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Hey SA's, want to make the most out of your opportunities at ND? Come talk to @NDMenSoccer alum, Grant Van De Casteele Th… 2 hours ago
- A HUGE thank you to everyone who donated and voted for Men's Soccer this past week! We finished second in athletics… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Ever wonder how our 2017 O.S.C.A.R.S hosts are preparing for the show on Thur, May 4th? Cross training of course! 🍀⚽️➡️🏒… 5 hours ago