Oct 8, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
The Irish were able to extend their unbeaten streak with a 2-2 tie versus Rutgers in their final home game of the regular season. Although the conditions were cold and rainy, the team still fought hard and was able to hold off a tough opponent.
Both goals came in the first half from freshman forward Crystal Thomas. Though it may not be reflected in the score, the Irish displayed elements of dominance throughout the game and showed how dangerous they can be in the final third.
In addition to being an important game for their record, this Sunday’s game versus Rutgers was for a good cause as well. Officially titled, Kicks Against Cancer, the game was in honor of cancer survivors and those currently battling cancer. With October being breast cancer awareness month, all proceeds from the game went towards the Kicks Against Breast Cancer fund and Michiana Hematology/Oncology.
The team sported special gold jerseys for the event with pink breast cancer ribbons on the back. The jerseys will be auctioned off throughout the month of October with the money raised going towards the deemed charities. The auctioned jerseys, worn by the Irish for the first time in the game, give the team a chance to give back to the community and show support to others in need.
“We look forward to playing this game every year because it gives us a chance to help other people through our sport,” said junior midfielder Rebecca Twining.
Sophomore forward Lauren Bohaboy mirrored these sentiments saying, “One of the best parts of being an athlete is being able to make a difference in a special way. we get so much support from the community and it’s nice to be able to give back.”
This game certainly offered a unique opportunity for the Irish to help out a great cause and show their support for breast cancer survivors.
About Irish United
- Fencing. Irish Remain On Top Of NCAA Championship Leaderboard
- M. Lacrosse. Irish And Buckeyes Ready For Top-Five Matchup On Saturday
- Baseball. Irish & Noles To Play Two Friday
- Baseball. Irish Host Florida State For Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. 200 Free Relay Earn All- American Honors in Second Day of Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- Softball. Irish Welcome Virginia Tech For Key ACC Series
- Fencing. Irish Surge Into First Place On Day One At NCAA Championship
- Fencing. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Columbia Top Standings After Day 1 of NCAA Championships
- Football. DeShone Kizer: Another Day, Another Impression
- Track. Keys To The Meet: Raleigh Relays
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- What a beautiful day for some soccer! Excited to kick off our Spring season tonight vs. Purdue! ☀️⚽️☘️ https://t.co/Vwa2PTCHXt 5 hours ago
- SCHEDULE CHANGE! Our first spring game vs. Purdue has been moved to Friday @ 7:30pm! We will play on LaBar Practice… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Good Luck to Sandra Yu as she heads to Portland for camp with the US U-23s! und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @NDSoccer: What a beautiful day for some soccer! Excited to kick off our Spring season tonight vs. Purdue! ☀️⚽️☘️ https://t.co/Vwa2PTCHXt 3 hours ago
- Irish fans, get your tickets now to watch us play this Saturday in the 2017 College Challenge in Pontiac, MI! 🎟️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
- Rounding out St. Patty's Day and spring break with a fantastic dinner at @JamesJoycePubMD! Thanks for having us!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago