Oct 8, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
The Irish were able to extend their unbeaten streak with a 2-2 tie versus Rutgers in their final home game of the regular season. Although the conditions were cold and rainy, the team still fought hard and was able to hold off a tough opponent.
Both goals came in the first half from freshman forward Crystal Thomas. Though it may not be reflected in the score, the Irish displayed elements of dominance throughout the game and showed how dangerous they can be in the final third.
In addition to being an important game for their record, this Sunday’s game versus Rutgers was for a good cause as well. Officially titled, Kicks Against Cancer, the game was in honor of cancer survivors and those currently battling cancer. With October being breast cancer awareness month, all proceeds from the game went towards the Kicks Against Breast Cancer fund and Michiana Hematology/Oncology.
The team sported special gold jerseys for the event with pink breast cancer ribbons on the back. The jerseys will be auctioned off throughout the month of October with the money raised going towards the deemed charities. The auctioned jerseys, worn by the Irish for the first time in the game, give the team a chance to give back to the community and show support to others in need.
“We look forward to playing this game every year because it gives us a chance to help other people through our sport,” said junior midfielder Rebecca Twining.
Sophomore forward Lauren Bohaboy mirrored these sentiments saying, “One of the best parts of being an athlete is being able to make a difference in a special way. we get so much support from the community and it’s nice to be able to give back.”
This game certainly offered a unique opportunity for the Irish to help out a great cause and show their support for breast cancer survivors.
About Irish United
- Baseball. Vierling Nabs All-ACC Nod
- Football. Sam Mustipher Named To Rimington Trophy Watch List
- Softball. Cal Steals 5-3 Decision From Irish
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Denver Roars Past Irish
- Baseball. ACC Baseball Championship Next Stop For Irish
- Softball. Irish Topple ETSU In Extras, 7-6
- General News. Sunday Brunch: Kiefer Best of the Best
- Baseball. Postseason Bound Irish Fall In Finale
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Fall To Denver In NCAA Championship Quarterfinals
- Baseball. Irish Drop A Wild One To Eagles
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of these ACC champs! Extraordinary people who have accomplished so much already and are just beginning their next… 1 day ago
- Congratulations to our seniors on graduating today!! We are SO proud of you && cannot wait to see what you do next!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @flrmonica5: Irish ☘️ https://t.co/9Zw6gF5AjZ 1 day ago
- Good luck to all our guys during finals week! #finishstrong https://t.co/psRitXdiGw 2 weeks ago
- RT @NDMonogram: National Champions🏆 Team Captains☘️ Dean’s List Students📚 Med School Bound🎓 Congratulations Eva Niklinska 🤺 & Evan Panke… 2 weeks ago
- RT @gamedayND: A break in the weather, just in time for #Friday! Have a great weekend. ☘️😎🌤️🌷 https://t.co/JluRexvDzJ 2 weeks ago