Oct 4, 2012, 12:44 PM EST
Notre Dame 7 – Pittsburgh 1
It was a damp evening in South Bend with a constant drizzle falling throughout the game as Notre Dame took on the Pittsburgh Panthers. It was very clear from the kick-off that the Irish meant business, as there was a constant buzz around the Pitt goalkeeper and it was no surprise when, in 14 minutes, Danny O’Leary followed up a half-saved shot by Leon Brown and tapped the ball into the gaping net from close range.
Seven minutes later, Danny O’Leary was again the man on the spot when he slotted home a Luke Mishu feed to make it 2-0. There were several more near things, but we had to wait until the 33rd minute for the third goal, which was a hard drive from Ryan Finley.
The score remained at 3-0 at halftime, but five minutes into the second half, freshman Patrick Hodan neatly slotted home his second goal of the year with a well-hit, left-footed shot. Now the Irish were really rolling and at 4-0, it looked as if there was going to be more, but the Panthers made a break up their right flank, switched a nice pass to Ryan Myers, who slotted a low shot past Pat Wall in the Notre Dame goal. The score was now at 4-1, but eight minutes later Ryan Finley notched his second of the match and ninth of the year, taking a nice feed from Connor Miller before sticking in Notre Dame’s fifth goal. The game was now more or less over, and the two final goals in the 74th and 88th minutes from Dillon Powers and Alex Priede literally put the Irish into seventh heaven.
It certainly was a special night for Irish soccer. It was not so much the score, but the ease at which they carved up the Pittsburgh defense. It was a special display and Irish fans will be hoping that they will continue to maintain this fine vein of form on Saturday when #3 Georgetown comes to town. The Hoyas have been having a fabulous season, having just dropped one game to Connecticut. This is certainly a huge BIG EAST game, and it kicks off on Saturday at 2:00pm.
About Irish United
- M. Basketball. CHAMPS: Irish Shock Wichita State To Win Maui Invitational
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon's Career Night Not Enough Against Syracuse
- Football. Five Favorite Photos of The Week
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos of The Week
- Track & Field. Irish Release 2017-18 Indoor Track and Field Schedule
- Football. Notre Dame-Stanford Preview: Lots on the Line
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Signee Taichi Kho to Compete in UBS Hong Kong Open
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Primed For Weekend Series With #6 Minnesota
- Football. Offensive Line Named Joe Moore Award Semifinalists
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Finalist
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It was great to see Jill Krivacek ('07) back at Notre Dame as a panelist for last night's @espnW Campus Conversatio… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of @ndsoccer and their spirit to battle back in the sweet 16 yesterday. Unfortunately we came up short but not wi… 2 days ago
- Thank you to our senior class that has given us 4+ years of unforgettable laughter, love and hard work. 💚 Notre Da… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- 🏆 Best of luck to Irish alumni Justin Morrow and Brandon Aubrey (Toronto FC vs. Columbus Crew, 8 p.m. ET, Eastern C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- We want to properly recognize and congratulate our senior class and pair of graduate captains for their outstanding… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- Wisconsin wins 1-0 3 days ago