Oct 2, 2012, 4:09 PM EST
In almost every regard, Notre Dame’s men’s soccer squad has jumped out to a superb start. After ten games, the No. 8 Irish are 8-2-0 with two victories over top-10 opponents.
The only dark cloud hanging over the team are those two pesky losses, made all the worse because of the conference affiliation of Notre Dame’s opponents in those two matches, Louisville and Connecticut. The Cardinals and Huskies are both members of the BIG EAST Conference, and defeats at the hands of both teams have dropped the Irish to the cellar of the BIG EAST Blue Division.
Notre Dame will get a third shot to notch their first conference win on Wednesday when the Pittsburgh Panthers roll into Alumni Stadium. While the Panthers are a solid group, they are not of the caliber of Louisville or Connecticut. Pitt is 6-3-2 but has dropped its last three contests. It has played only one ranked opponent, Georgetown; the Hoyas handled the Panthers, 3-1. Like the Irish, Pitt is 0-2 in BIG EAST play.
The Panthers are paced offensively by freshman midfielder Nick Wysong, an Elkhart, Ind. native, and junior forward Nico Wrobel. Wysong and Wrobel have both tallied five goals, accounting for ten of Pitt’s sixteen goals this season. Sophomore keeper Lee Johnston has posted a fine 1.14 goals against average in eleven starts.
The Irish are looking to rebound from their tough 2-1 loss in Storrs, Conn. and will no doubt be invigorated by the prospect of a home match after four consecutive away games. Notre Dame went 2-2 on the trip with wins over Michigan and No. 10 Indiana and the aforementioned losses to Louisville and Connecticut. Dillon Powers, Harry Shipp, and Ryan Finley continue to lead the offense, and Grant Van De Casteele has anchored the Irish defense.
The Irish and Panthers will kick off at 7:00 pm in Alumni Stadium on Wednesday. The game will be streamed live on UND.com, where it will be featured as the “Game of the Week.”
About Irish United
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Signee Taichi Kho to Compete in UBS Hong Kong Open
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Primed For Weekend Series With #6 Minnesota
- Football. Offensive Line Named Joe Moore Award Semifinalists
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Finalist
- W. Basketball. No. 6 Irish Depart for Gulf Coast Showcase
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Wichita State - Five Things To Know
- M. Basketball. Championship Bound: Irish Dominate LSU 92-53 In Maui Invitational Semifinal
- Baseball. Baseball Unveils 2018 Campaign
- W. Volleyball. Irish Ride Five Match Win Streak Into Final Week Of Regular Season
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Big Ten’s First Star For Second Consecutive Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It was great to see Jill Krivacek ('07) back at Notre Dame as a panelist for last night's @espnW Campus Conversatio… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of @ndsoccer and their spirit to battle back in the sweet 16 yesterday. Unfortunately we came up short but not wi… 1 day ago
- Thank you to our senior class that has given us 4+ years of unforgettable laughter, love and hard work. 💚 Notre Da… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- 🏆 Best of luck to Irish alumni Justin Morrow and Brandon Aubrey (Toronto FC vs. Columbus Crew, 8 p.m. ET, Eastern C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- We want to properly recognize and congratulate our senior class and pair of graduate captains for their outstanding… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Wisconsin wins 1-0 2 days ago