Oct 2, 2012, 4:09 PM EDT
In almost every regard, Notre Dame’s men’s soccer squad has jumped out to a superb start. After ten games, the No. 8 Irish are 8-2-0 with two victories over top-10 opponents.
The only dark cloud hanging over the team are those two pesky losses, made all the worse because of the conference affiliation of Notre Dame’s opponents in those two matches, Louisville and Connecticut. The Cardinals and Huskies are both members of the BIG EAST Conference, and defeats at the hands of both teams have dropped the Irish to the cellar of the BIG EAST Blue Division.
Notre Dame will get a third shot to notch their first conference win on Wednesday when the Pittsburgh Panthers roll into Alumni Stadium. While the Panthers are a solid group, they are not of the caliber of Louisville or Connecticut. Pitt is 6-3-2 but has dropped its last three contests. It has played only one ranked opponent, Georgetown; the Hoyas handled the Panthers, 3-1. Like the Irish, Pitt is 0-2 in BIG EAST play.
The Panthers are paced offensively by freshman midfielder Nick Wysong, an Elkhart, Ind. native, and junior forward Nico Wrobel. Wysong and Wrobel have both tallied five goals, accounting for ten of Pitt’s sixteen goals this season. Sophomore keeper Lee Johnston has posted a fine 1.14 goals against average in eleven starts.
The Irish are looking to rebound from their tough 2-1 loss in Storrs, Conn. and will no doubt be invigorated by the prospect of a home match after four consecutive away games. Notre Dame went 2-2 on the trip with wins over Michigan and No. 10 Indiana and the aforementioned losses to Louisville and Connecticut. Dillon Powers, Harry Shipp, and Ryan Finley continue to lead the offense, and Grant Van De Casteele has anchored the Irish defense.
The Irish and Panthers will kick off at 7:00 pm in Alumni Stadium on Wednesday. The game will be streamed live on UND.com, where it will be featured as the “Game of the Week.”
About Irish United
- Track & Field. Eleven Named to USTFCCCA All-Academic Team
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Pursuing LEED Silver certification
- W. Soccer. Crowley Inspired by Study Abroad Trip to China
- W. Golf. Women's Golf Reveals 2017-18 Schedule
- Track & Field. Irish Land USTFCCCA All-Academic Team Honor
- M. Soccer. Irish Alums, USMNT Take 2017 Gold Cup
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Excited to welcome campers for our second session of the summer today! Can't wait to get started ☘️⚽️ https://t.co/C4rarcAomM 2 weeks ago
- Wishing everybody a happy and safe 4th of July from all of us here at ND Women's Soccer! 🇺🇸☘️#godcountrynotredame https://t.co/MRtCiI5tE5 3 weeks ago
- RT @NDTIX: Season passes now on sale for @NDMenSoccer/@NDSoccer for as low as $18.75! 20 home games = less than $1/gm! Buy: https://t.co/Yl… 3 weeks ago
- RT @casemorrow: Tage loved @NDMenSoccer camp this past week! https://t.co/7YwUUWQC54 1 week ago
- RT @FourFourTwoUSA: .@NDMenSoccer's Bobby Clark: Shaping minds, not just professionals, at @NotreDame. fft.sm/oZ9jiH https://t.c… 3 weeks ago
- Team Red 🆚 Team Blue tonight for our camp All-Star game! 🇺🇸⚽️ #merica https://t.co/0oETioMRgC 3 weeks ago