Oct 2, 2012, 4:09 PM EST
In almost every regard, Notre Dame’s men’s soccer squad has jumped out to a superb start. After ten games, the No. 8 Irish are 8-2-0 with two victories over top-10 opponents.
The only dark cloud hanging over the team are those two pesky losses, made all the worse because of the conference affiliation of Notre Dame’s opponents in those two matches, Louisville and Connecticut. The Cardinals and Huskies are both members of the BIG EAST Conference, and defeats at the hands of both teams have dropped the Irish to the cellar of the BIG EAST Blue Division.
Notre Dame will get a third shot to notch their first conference win on Wednesday when the Pittsburgh Panthers roll into Alumni Stadium. While the Panthers are a solid group, they are not of the caliber of Louisville or Connecticut. Pitt is 6-3-2 but has dropped its last three contests. It has played only one ranked opponent, Georgetown; the Hoyas handled the Panthers, 3-1. Like the Irish, Pitt is 0-2 in BIG EAST play.
The Panthers are paced offensively by freshman midfielder Nick Wysong, an Elkhart, Ind. native, and junior forward Nico Wrobel. Wysong and Wrobel have both tallied five goals, accounting for ten of Pitt’s sixteen goals this season. Sophomore keeper Lee Johnston has posted a fine 1.14 goals against average in eleven starts.
The Irish are looking to rebound from their tough 2-1 loss in Storrs, Conn. and will no doubt be invigorated by the prospect of a home match after four consecutive away games. Notre Dame went 2-2 on the trip with wins over Michigan and No. 10 Indiana and the aforementioned losses to Louisville and Connecticut. Dillon Powers, Harry Shipp, and Ryan Finley continue to lead the offense, and Grant Van De Casteele has anchored the Irish defense.
The Irish and Panthers will kick off at 7:00 pm in Alumni Stadium on Wednesday. The game will be streamed live on UND.com, where it will be featured as the “Game of the Week.”
About Irish United
- Swimming & Diving. Inside Irish: 2017 ACC Women’s Swimming & Men/Women’s Diving Championships
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: Purdue
- Track. Irish Excited for Home Advantage in Upcoming ACC Championships
- W. Basketball. Nelson Returning For Fifth Season
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Honored, Irish Move Up In Rankings
- W. Basketball. Marina Mabrey Claims ACC Player of the Week
- Track. Into Focus: Rachel DaDamio
- W. Basketball. Late Irish Rally Spurs Victory Over Orange
- M. Tennis. Irish Etch Sixth Sweep In 7-0 Victory Over Hoosiers
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Alamo Irish Classic Finale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇺🇸 President George Bush at the White House with the 2004 National Championship @NDSoccer team. #PresidentsDay https:/… 1 day ago
- RT @NDCommitment: @NDSoccer taking time to help with @SJCHabitat #habitat https://t.co/0Or5G412qz 4 days ago
- Check out the awesome work @kaleigholmsted is doing with her NoBody is Perfect campaign! READ:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.