Sep 27, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Indiana 0 – Notre Dame 1
It was a calm, humid evening in Bloomington when Notre Dame and Indiana took the field. The Irish had the better of the early exchanges and they kept the 2,000 Hoosier fans pretty quiet. Notre Dame had several excellent opportunities but the closest they came to getting on the scoreboard was a near post corner from Dillon Powers that Nick Besler got his head to. Nick sent it low towards the corner but Soffner, in the IU goal, made a wonderful save.
The second half saw Indiana come more into the match but solid defending prevented the Hoosiers from getting any real penetration. Although the Irish did not have the same domination they still created the better scoring opportunities forcing the IU goalkeeper into 8 saves while Pat Wall, in the Notre Dame goal, had only one save.
The decisive goal came in the 71st minute. Set pieces win big games and this was the case tonight. Dillon Powers swung in a hard driven ball and Grant Van De Casteele met it squarely and hammered it home. It was similar to Nick Besler’s attempt in the first half but this one flew high past the Hoosier ‘keeper.
After the goal Notre Dame played a disciplined final 19 minutes and came away with an excellent win. Things, however, do not get any easier as we get back tonight, have a day to get our laundry done, and head off to Connecticut on Friday for a 7:00 pm match on Saturday. It is already reported that the game is sold out (5,000) and it will be another huge challenge for the Irish.
Finally, if you have the Big Ten Network channel on your cable television, you can watch a replay of tonight’s game tomorrow at 3:00 PM ET/2:00 PM CT.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans To Captain Irish In 2017-18
- Football. Megaphone On The Line For Irish & Spartans
- W. Soccer. Jacobs Nets ACC Player of the Week Honor
- M. Soccer. #2 Irish And #19 Bowling Green Meet Tuesday At Alumni Stadium
- W. Volleyball. Fry Named ACC Volleyball Player Of The Week
- M. Soccer. Dumas Named ACC Defensive Player Of The Week
- W. Soccer. Women’s Soccer to Host One-Day Camp
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Men's Lacrosse Unveils
- Monogram Club. Condoleezza Rice ’75 Receives Honorary Monogram
- Football. Notre Dame-Boston College: What the Irish Learned
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 💥 PLAYER OF THE WEEK! 💥 Natalie Jacobs is the @ACCWSoccer Offensive Player of the Week! ☘️⚽️ MORE:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Have 60 seconds? Then see the @NDSportsBlogger review the weekend in ND sports with highlights from @NDMenSoccer, @NDVo… 19 hours ago
- ⚽️ WHITE OUT ⚽️ Help us white out Alumni Stadium on Thursday at 7 p.m. as we take on No. 4 @DukeWSOC! ☘️ TICKETS:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 22 hours ago
- ⚽️ GAME DAY VS BOWLING GREEN! ⚽️ 🕖 7:00 PM 📺 espn.com/watch/_/id/313… 📖 GAME NOTES: und.com/sports/m-socce… https://t.co/qfv06B5ASa 4 hours ago
- 🏆 ACC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK Congratulations to junior defender Felicien Dumas! 📖 STORY:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 22 hours ago
- 🇺🇸 MILITARY APPRECIATION NIGHT Tuesday vs. BG is Military Appreciation Night, free admission for vets. Also,… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago