Sep 27, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Indiana 0 – Notre Dame 1
It was a calm, humid evening in Bloomington when Notre Dame and Indiana took the field. The Irish had the better of the early exchanges and they kept the 2,000 Hoosier fans pretty quiet. Notre Dame had several excellent opportunities but the closest they came to getting on the scoreboard was a near post corner from Dillon Powers that Nick Besler got his head to. Nick sent it low towards the corner but Soffner, in the IU goal, made a wonderful save.
The second half saw Indiana come more into the match but solid defending prevented the Hoosiers from getting any real penetration. Although the Irish did not have the same domination they still created the better scoring opportunities forcing the IU goalkeeper into 8 saves while Pat Wall, in the Notre Dame goal, had only one save.
The decisive goal came in the 71st minute. Set pieces win big games and this was the case tonight. Dillon Powers swung in a hard driven ball and Grant Van De Casteele met it squarely and hammered it home. It was similar to Nick Besler’s attempt in the first half but this one flew high past the Hoosier ‘keeper.
After the goal Notre Dame played a disciplined final 19 minutes and came away with an excellent win. Things, however, do not get any easier as we get back tonight, have a day to get our laundry done, and head off to Connecticut on Friday for a 7:00 pm match on Saturday. It is already reported that the game is sold out (5,000) and it will be another huge challenge for the Irish.
Finally, if you have the Big Ten Network channel on your cable television, you can watch a replay of tonight’s game tomorrow at 3:00 PM ET/2:00 PM CT.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Slaggert And St. Cyr Win Gold With Team USA U18’s
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish ACC Championship First Round: Pittsburgh
- M. Tennis. Hagar Snares ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- Baseball. Crusaders Venture To The Eck
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Goals! Goals! Goals! See all of the goals we scored this Spring & come to Alumni on Friday to catch us vs. Mexico!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- Thank you to every one who gave and voted for us on #NDday! We ended up 4th in Athletics with 669 votes! Thank you! notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/wome… 6 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: NCAA Champion🏆 3 Olympic Gold Medals🥇🥇🥇 World Cup Champion🏆 ☘️@Shannon Boxx (‘99 ⚽️) is our spring Monogram Jacket Ceremon… 6 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Hey SA's, want to make the most out of your opportunities at ND? Come talk to @NDMenSoccer alum, Grant Van De Casteele Th… 2 hours ago
- A HUGE thank you to everyone who donated and voted for Men's Soccer this past week! We finished second in athletics… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Ever wonder how our 2017 O.S.C.A.R.S hosts are preparing for the show on Thur, May 4th? Cross training of course! 🍀⚽️➡️🏒… 5 hours ago