Sep 27, 2012, 9:40 AM EST
Indiana 0 – Notre Dame 1
It was a calm, humid evening in Bloomington when Notre Dame and Indiana took the field. The Irish had the better of the early exchanges and they kept the 2,000 Hoosier fans pretty quiet. Notre Dame had several excellent opportunities but the closest they came to getting on the scoreboard was a near post corner from Dillon Powers that Nick Besler got his head to. Nick sent it low towards the corner but Soffner, in the IU goal, made a wonderful save.
The second half saw Indiana come more into the match but solid defending prevented the Hoosiers from getting any real penetration. Although the Irish did not have the same domination they still created the better scoring opportunities forcing the IU goalkeeper into 8 saves while Pat Wall, in the Notre Dame goal, had only one save.
The decisive goal came in the 71st minute. Set pieces win big games and this was the case tonight. Dillon Powers swung in a hard driven ball and Grant Van De Casteele met it squarely and hammered it home. It was similar to Nick Besler’s attempt in the first half but this one flew high past the Hoosier ‘keeper.
After the goal Notre Dame played a disciplined final 19 minutes and came away with an excellent win. Things, however, do not get any easier as we get back tonight, have a day to get our laundry done, and head off to Connecticut on Friday for a 7:00 pm match on Saturday. It is already reported that the game is sold out (5,000) and it will be another huge challenge for the Irish.
Finally, if you have the Big Ten Network channel on your cable television, you can watch a replay of tonight’s game tomorrow at 3:00 PM ET/2:00 PM CT.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Primed For Weekend Series With #6 Minnesota
- Football. Offensive Line Named Joe Moore Award Semifinalists
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Finalist
- W. Basketball. No. 6 Irish Depart for Gulf Coast Showcase
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Wichita State - Five Things To Know
- M. Basketball. Championship Bound: Irish Dominate LSU 92-53 In Maui Invitational Semifinal
- Baseball. Baseball Unveils 2018 Campaign
- W. Volleyball. Irish Ride Five Match Win Streak Into Final Week Of Regular Season
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Big Ten’s First Star For Second Consecutive Week
- Football. Eighth-Ranked Irish Look To Harvest 10th Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It was great to see Jill Krivacek ('07) back at Notre Dame as a panelist for last night's @espnW Campus Conversatio… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of @ndsoccer and their spirit to battle back in the sweet 16 yesterday. Unfortunately we came up short but not wi… 1 day ago
- Thank you to our senior class that has given us 4+ years of unforgettable laughter, love and hard work. 💚 Notre Da… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- 🏆 Best of luck to Irish alumni Justin Morrow and Brandon Aubrey (Toronto FC vs. Columbus Crew, 8 p.m. ET, Eastern C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- We want to properly recognize and congratulate our senior class and pair of graduate captains for their outstanding… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Wisconsin wins 1-0 2 days ago