Sep 27, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Indiana 0 – Notre Dame 1
It was a calm, humid evening in Bloomington when Notre Dame and Indiana took the field. The Irish had the better of the early exchanges and they kept the 2,000 Hoosier fans pretty quiet. Notre Dame had several excellent opportunities but the closest they came to getting on the scoreboard was a near post corner from Dillon Powers that Nick Besler got his head to. Nick sent it low towards the corner but Soffner, in the IU goal, made a wonderful save.
The second half saw Indiana come more into the match but solid defending prevented the Hoosiers from getting any real penetration. Although the Irish did not have the same domination they still created the better scoring opportunities forcing the IU goalkeeper into 8 saves while Pat Wall, in the Notre Dame goal, had only one save.
The decisive goal came in the 71st minute. Set pieces win big games and this was the case tonight. Dillon Powers swung in a hard driven ball and Grant Van De Casteele met it squarely and hammered it home. It was similar to Nick Besler’s attempt in the first half but this one flew high past the Hoosier ‘keeper.
After the goal Notre Dame played a disciplined final 19 minutes and came away with an excellent win. Things, however, do not get any easier as we get back tonight, have a day to get our laundry done, and head off to Connecticut on Friday for a 7:00 pm match on Saturday. It is already reported that the game is sold out (5,000) and it will be another huge challenge for the Irish.
Finally, if you have the Big Ten Network channel on your cable television, you can watch a replay of tonight’s game tomorrow at 3:00 PM ET/2:00 PM CT.
About Irish United
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Photos #5 - ACC CHAMPS! @NDSoccer took down Miami 2-0 at home for its 1st regular-season ACC… 1 day ago
- RT @DawnSiergiej: One of the coolest 🌈 I've ever seen. Take it as good luck while recruiting future Irish. ☘️☘️☘️ https://t.co/KSIjs43SkH 1 day ago
- RT @FIFAWWC: 9⃣0⃣mins. ✅ 5⃣7⃣2⃣9⃣metres. ✅ 🏔️👩⚽️Mount Kilimanjaro. ✅ What an amazing achievement @EPFinitiative. 📸 facebook.com/pg/fifawomensw… h… 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇺🇸FOR THE RED, WHITE & BLUE TWO @NDMenSoccer alums to play for US Men's National Team in 2017 Gold Cup. 👀@ussoccer htt… 21 hours ago
- Congratulations to ND soccer alums @MattBesler & @justmorrow for being named to the 23-man @ussoccer 2017 Gold Cup… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Our 2017 gauntlet has been released! Get your season tickets now! 🎟️ ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomme… https://t.co/l1LRVAX3o7 6 days ago