Sep 27, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Indiana 0 – Notre Dame 1
It was a calm, humid evening in Bloomington when Notre Dame and Indiana took the field. The Irish had the better of the early exchanges and they kept the 2,000 Hoosier fans pretty quiet. Notre Dame had several excellent opportunities but the closest they came to getting on the scoreboard was a near post corner from Dillon Powers that Nick Besler got his head to. Nick sent it low towards the corner but Soffner, in the IU goal, made a wonderful save.
The second half saw Indiana come more into the match but solid defending prevented the Hoosiers from getting any real penetration. Although the Irish did not have the same domination they still created the better scoring opportunities forcing the IU goalkeeper into 8 saves while Pat Wall, in the Notre Dame goal, had only one save.
The decisive goal came in the 71st minute. Set pieces win big games and this was the case tonight. Dillon Powers swung in a hard driven ball and Grant Van De Casteele met it squarely and hammered it home. It was similar to Nick Besler’s attempt in the first half but this one flew high past the Hoosier ‘keeper.
After the goal Notre Dame played a disciplined final 19 minutes and came away with an excellent win. Things, however, do not get any easier as we get back tonight, have a day to get our laundry done, and head off to Connecticut on Friday for a 7:00 pm match on Saturday. It is already reported that the game is sold out (5,000) and it will be another huge challenge for the Irish.
Finally, if you have the Big Ten Network channel on your cable television, you can watch a replay of tonight’s game tomorrow at 3:00 PM ET/2:00 PM CT.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Richter Award Finalist
- Baseball. Register Now: Irish Baseball Summer Camp
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Edged By Michigan, 13-12
- W. Soccer. SCHEDULE CHANGE: Irish to Face Purdue on Friday
- Baseball. Johnson Named Senior CLASS Candidate
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Playoffs Begin For No. 2 Irish
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: 2018 NCAA Championships
- Fencing. Sirico Named ACC Fencer of the Year for Women's Epee
- Baseball. Irish Drop Home Opener to NIU
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🚨SCHEDULE CHANGE 🚨 Notre Dame's spring opener at Purdue has been moved to 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday! ☘️⚽️ ➡️ MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @NotreDame: Happy Saint Patrick's Day! https://t.co/wEeK2ITAFC 5 days ago
- 👀 We see you, Sandra! #NDFamily ☘️ twitter.com/thornsfc/statu… 1 week ago
- Indy Eleven ✔︎ MSU ✔︎ Oakland ✔︎ Valpo ✔︎ Green Bay ✔︎ UK ✔︎ Bethel ✔︎ IU ✔︎ 🇲🇽 ✔︎ Come watch the Irish this sprin… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 weeks ago
- Congratulations to another of our own, 2007 grad and four-year Monogram winner Nate Norman, the new head coach of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
- Rounding out our newcomers is a midfielder from the state of Virginia. Welcome Bryan Silver! 🖋⚽️☘ https://t.co/2tXDjWIWYb 1 month ago