Sep 27, 2012, 9:11 PM EDT
A conference clash of two top ten teams awaits Notre Dame in Storrs, Conn. on Saturday. The No. 8 Irish will travel to New England to square off against BIG EAST foe Connecticut, the second-ranked team in the country.
The 8-0-1 Huskies have outscored their opponents by a whopping 19-2 margin thus far. They have not allowed a first half goal. Connecticut’s stingy defense is largely a product of the phenomenal play of sophomore goalkeeper Andre Blake. Blake, who boasts a 0.22 goals against average, was named the BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Year last year to become the first BIG EAST freshman to win a major conference award. He was the unanimous selection for BIG EAST preseason Goalkeeper of the Year.
Offensively, Connecticut is led by Dakar, Senegal product Mamadou Doudou Diouf. The junior forward was named the BIG EAST Preseason Offensive Player of the Year and was a unanimous choice to the Preseason All-BIG EAST Team. He paces the Husky attack with seven goals and an assist.
But behind the Huskies’ flashy statistics and undefeated record hides the fact that they have yet to play a team ranked in the top ten. Connecticut’s lone win against a ranked opponent came last Saturday at home against No. 15 St. John’s. Notre Dame, on the other hand, has beaten two teams ranked in the top ten: No. 7 Akron and No. 10 Indiana. The Irish topped the Hoosiers in Bloomington on Wednesday by a score of 1-0.
Notre Dame’s lone loss was at the hands of BIG EAST opponent Louisville, and Bobby Clark‘s squad would loath nothing more than to drop the first two games on their conference slate.
Senior attacker Ryan Finley continues to lead the team in goals with six. Senior captain Dillon Powers and junior forward Harry Shipp have both tallied two goals and three assists. Goalies Will Walsh and Patrick Wall have four wins apiece.
The Irish and Huskies will kick off this crucial league battle at 7:00 PM on Saturday.
About Irish United
- M. Lacrosse. Irish And Buckeyes Ready For Top-Five Matchup On Saturday
- Baseball. Irish & Noles To Play Two Friday
- Baseball. Irish Host Florida State For Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. 200 Free Relay Earn All- American Honors in Second Day of Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- Softball. Irish Welcome Virginia Tech For Key ACC Series
- Fencing. Irish Surge Into First Place On Day One At NCAA Championship
- Fencing. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Columbia Top Standings After Day 1 of NCAA Championships
- Football. DeShone Kizer: Another Day, Another Impression
- Track. Keys To The Meet: Raleigh Relays
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Lacrosse Spring Break: Adjustments on the Fly
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- What a beautiful day for some soccer! Excited to kick off our Spring season tonight vs. Purdue! ☀️⚽️☘️ https://t.co/Vwa2PTCHXt 3 hours ago
- SCHEDULE CHANGE! Our first spring game vs. Purdue has been moved to Friday @ 7:30pm! We will play on LaBar Practice… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Good Luck to Sandra Yu as she heads to Portland for camp with the US U-23s! und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @NDSoccer: What a beautiful day for some soccer! Excited to kick off our Spring season tonight vs. Purdue! ☀️⚽️☘️ https://t.co/Vwa2PTCHXt 1 hour ago
- Irish fans, get your tickets now to watch us play this Saturday in the 2017 College Challenge in Pontiac, MI! 🎟️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
- Rounding out St. Patty's Day and spring break with a fantastic dinner at @JamesJoycePubMD! Thanks for having us!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago