Sep 27, 2012, 9:11 PM EST
A conference clash of two top ten teams awaits Notre Dame in Storrs, Conn. on Saturday. The No. 8 Irish will travel to New England to square off against BIG EAST foe Connecticut, the second-ranked team in the country.
The 8-0-1 Huskies have outscored their opponents by a whopping 19-2 margin thus far. They have not allowed a first half goal. Connecticut’s stingy defense is largely a product of the phenomenal play of sophomore goalkeeper Andre Blake. Blake, who boasts a 0.22 goals against average, was named the BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Year last year to become the first BIG EAST freshman to win a major conference award. He was the unanimous selection for BIG EAST preseason Goalkeeper of the Year.
Offensively, Connecticut is led by Dakar, Senegal product Mamadou Doudou Diouf. The junior forward was named the BIG EAST Preseason Offensive Player of the Year and was a unanimous choice to the Preseason All-BIG EAST Team. He paces the Husky attack with seven goals and an assist.
But behind the Huskies’ flashy statistics and undefeated record hides the fact that they have yet to play a team ranked in the top ten. Connecticut’s lone win against a ranked opponent came last Saturday at home against No. 15 St. John’s. Notre Dame, on the other hand, has beaten two teams ranked in the top ten: No. 7 Akron and No. 10 Indiana. The Irish topped the Hoosiers in Bloomington on Wednesday by a score of 1-0.
Notre Dame’s lone loss was at the hands of BIG EAST opponent Louisville, and Bobby Clark‘s squad would loath nothing more than to drop the first two games on their conference slate.
Senior attacker Ryan Finley continues to lead the team in goals with six. Senior captain Dillon Powers and junior forward Harry Shipp have both tallied two goals and three assists. Goalies Will Walsh and Patrick Wall have four wins apiece.
The Irish and Huskies will kick off this crucial league battle at 7:00 PM on Saturday.
About Irish United
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Signee Taichi Kho to Compete in UBS Hong Kong Open
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Primed For Weekend Series With #6 Minnesota
- Football. Offensive Line Named Joe Moore Award Semifinalists
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Finalist
- W. Basketball. No. 6 Irish Depart for Gulf Coast Showcase
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Wichita State - Five Things To Know
- M. Basketball. Championship Bound: Irish Dominate LSU 92-53 In Maui Invitational Semifinal
- Baseball. Baseball Unveils 2018 Campaign
- W. Volleyball. Irish Ride Five Match Win Streak Into Final Week Of Regular Season
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Big Ten’s First Star For Second Consecutive Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It was great to see Jill Krivacek ('07) back at Notre Dame as a panelist for last night's @espnW Campus Conversatio… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of @ndsoccer and their spirit to battle back in the sweet 16 yesterday. Unfortunately we came up short but not wi… 1 day ago
- Thank you to our senior class that has given us 4+ years of unforgettable laughter, love and hard work. 💚 Notre Da… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- 🏆 Best of luck to Irish alumni Justin Morrow and Brandon Aubrey (Toronto FC vs. Columbus Crew, 8 p.m. ET, Eastern C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- We want to properly recognize and congratulate our senior class and pair of graduate captains for their outstanding… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Wisconsin wins 1-0 2 days ago