Sep 27, 2012, 9:11 PM EDT
A conference clash of two top ten teams awaits Notre Dame in Storrs, Conn. on Saturday. The No. 8 Irish will travel to New England to square off against BIG EAST foe Connecticut, the second-ranked team in the country.
The 8-0-1 Huskies have outscored their opponents by a whopping 19-2 margin thus far. They have not allowed a first half goal. Connecticut’s stingy defense is largely a product of the phenomenal play of sophomore goalkeeper Andre Blake. Blake, who boasts a 0.22 goals against average, was named the BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Year last year to become the first BIG EAST freshman to win a major conference award. He was the unanimous selection for BIG EAST preseason Goalkeeper of the Year.
Offensively, Connecticut is led by Dakar, Senegal product Mamadou Doudou Diouf. The junior forward was named the BIG EAST Preseason Offensive Player of the Year and was a unanimous choice to the Preseason All-BIG EAST Team. He paces the Husky attack with seven goals and an assist.
But behind the Huskies’ flashy statistics and undefeated record hides the fact that they have yet to play a team ranked in the top ten. Connecticut’s lone win against a ranked opponent came last Saturday at home against No. 15 St. John’s. Notre Dame, on the other hand, has beaten two teams ranked in the top ten: No. 7 Akron and No. 10 Indiana. The Irish topped the Hoosiers in Bloomington on Wednesday by a score of 1-0.
Notre Dame’s lone loss was at the hands of BIG EAST opponent Louisville, and Bobby Clark‘s squad would loath nothing more than to drop the first two games on their conference slate.
Senior attacker Ryan Finley continues to lead the team in goals with six. Senior captain Dillon Powers and junior forward Harry Shipp have both tallied two goals and three assists. Goalies Will Walsh and Patrick Wall have four wins apiece.
The Irish and Huskies will kick off this crucial league battle at 7:00 PM on Saturday.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Richter Award Finalist
- Baseball. Register Now: Irish Baseball Summer Camp
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Edged By Michigan, 13-12
- W. Soccer. SCHEDULE CHANGE: Irish to Face Purdue on Friday
- Baseball. Johnson Named Senior CLASS Candidate
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Playoffs Begin For No. 2 Irish
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: 2018 NCAA Championships
- Fencing. Sirico Named ACC Fencer of the Year for Women's Epee
- Baseball. Irish Drop Home Opener to NIU
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🚨SCHEDULE CHANGE 🚨 Notre Dame's spring opener at Purdue has been moved to 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday! ☘️⚽️ ➡️ MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @NotreDame: Happy Saint Patrick's Day! https://t.co/wEeK2ITAFC 5 days ago
- 👀 We see you, Sandra! #NDFamily ☘️ twitter.com/thornsfc/statu… 1 week ago
- Indy Eleven ✔︎ MSU ✔︎ Oakland ✔︎ Valpo ✔︎ Green Bay ✔︎ UK ✔︎ Bethel ✔︎ IU ✔︎ 🇲🇽 ✔︎ Come watch the Irish this sprin… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 weeks ago
- Congratulations to another of our own, 2007 grad and four-year Monogram winner Nate Norman, the new head coach of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
- Rounding out our newcomers is a midfielder from the state of Virginia. Welcome Bryan Silver! 🖋⚽️☘ https://t.co/2tXDjWIWYb 1 month ago