Sep 23, 2012, 5:52 PM EDT
She’s pretty amazing? Lindsay Brown is more than just pretty amazing, she’s beyond amazing. I got the chance to sit down with Lindsay recently, where I heard a little bit about her amazing story of becoming Seventeen Magazine’s “Pretty Amazing” contest winner. She entered the contest without any intention of winning, but she knew that if she entered, she might be able to get a lot of very helpful publicity in promoting the non-profit organization that she had recently founded. It’s amazing, because in order to be able to focus on her organization, The SEGway (Soccer Empowering Girls Worldwide and You) Project, Lindsay chose to give up her full-ride soccer scholarship for her senior year at Notre Dame. Not everyone can make that type of sacrifice in order to help others.
Lindsay was drawn to service after participating in Operation Smile through her high school, in which she was able to travel to Madagascar to help children with specific medical issues. She also participated in other service related activities in high school, but the issue of working to empower and support girls in developing countries was brought to her attention when she came to Notre Dame. She started holding bake sales, which featured her signature tie-dye cupcakes, in Welsh Family Hall for She’s the First organization. Lindsay, with the help of others, was able to raise money to support 3 girls’ education in Nepal. Since then, she has started the first girls’ soccer team in Nepal, she founded her own non-profit organization, and she is now able to help support and empower girls in several different developing countries across the world.
As a result, Lindsay Brown was honored on Friday at the women’s soccer game vs. Pittsburgh for all of these accomplishments, as well as that of winning the Seventeen Magazine “Pretty Amazing” contest earlier this month. Lindsay was awarded with a plaque with the Seventeen Magazine October 2012 Issue cover mounted on it, the cover that she is featured on. When she was awarded with this plaque, the announcer told Lindsay’s story to the Irish soccer fans, and she received a well-deserved standing ovation from many.
Lindsay and I are the same age, and I am astounded by just how much she has already been able to accomplish and by how many lives she has already been able to touch all over the world. Lindsay admits that her work thus far is just a start, and she plans to help so many more people through her organization in the future. I’d say that all she has done is more than just a start…it’s amazing.
About Irish United
- W. Volleyball. Johnson Announces Volleyball Staff For Upcoming Season
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDSoccer: 🗒🖊@kateeoconnorr and @sammifisherr talked to Goshen's Write on Sports camp about their soccer career and role models. Keep a… 1 week ago
- 🗒🖊@kateeoconnorr and @sammifisherr talked to Goshen's Write on Sports camp about their soccer career and role model… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- RT @46Sports: Nice story today by my man @tnoieNDI on @brooke_vandyck skipping her senior year for @PennGirlsSoccer to play for @NDSoccer… 1 week ago
- Great time viewing the game today with all these soccer fans!! twitter.com/mattcashore/st… 6 days ago
- RT @NDAthEquipment: Delivery day ☝🏻 in the 📚 29 pallets ✔️ What will day ✌🏻 bring? 🤔 #TeamUA @UnderArmour https://t.co/SzBfoJ0vKe 1 week ago
- RT @SaintLouisFC: We need to make a quick introduction: We've signed Saint Louis FC Academy U19 forward Jack Lynn on a USL Academy contract… 2 weeks ago