Sep 23, 2012, 5:52 PM EST
She’s pretty amazing? Lindsay Brown is more than just pretty amazing, she’s beyond amazing. I got the chance to sit down with Lindsay recently, where I heard a little bit about her amazing story of becoming Seventeen Magazine’s “Pretty Amazing” contest winner. She entered the contest without any intention of winning, but she knew that if she entered, she might be able to get a lot of very helpful publicity in promoting the non-profit organization that she had recently founded. It’s amazing, because in order to be able to focus on her organization, The SEGway (Soccer Empowering Girls Worldwide and You) Project, Lindsay chose to give up her full-ride soccer scholarship for her senior year at Notre Dame. Not everyone can make that type of sacrifice in order to help others.
Lindsay was drawn to service after participating in Operation Smile through her high school, in which she was able to travel to Madagascar to help children with specific medical issues. She also participated in other service related activities in high school, but the issue of working to empower and support girls in developing countries was brought to her attention when she came to Notre Dame. She started holding bake sales, which featured her signature tie-dye cupcakes, in Welsh Family Hall for She’s the First organization. Lindsay, with the help of others, was able to raise money to support 3 girls’ education in Nepal. Since then, she has started the first girls’ soccer team in Nepal, she founded her own non-profit organization, and she is now able to help support and empower girls in several different developing countries across the world.
As a result, Lindsay Brown was honored on Friday at the women’s soccer game vs. Pittsburgh for all of these accomplishments, as well as that of winning the Seventeen Magazine “Pretty Amazing” contest earlier this month. Lindsay was awarded with a plaque with the Seventeen Magazine October 2012 Issue cover mounted on it, the cover that she is featured on. When she was awarded with this plaque, the announcer told Lindsay’s story to the Irish soccer fans, and she received a well-deserved standing ovation from many.
Lindsay and I are the same age, and I am astounded by just how much she has already been able to accomplish and by how many lives she has already been able to touch all over the world. Lindsay admits that her work thus far is just a start, and she plans to help so many more people through her organization in the future. I’d say that all she has done is more than just a start…it’s amazing.
About Irish United
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Signee Taichi Kho to Compete in UBS Hong Kong Open
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Primed For Weekend Series With #6 Minnesota
- Football. Offensive Line Named Joe Moore Award Semifinalists
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Finalist
- W. Basketball. No. 6 Irish Depart for Gulf Coast Showcase
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Wichita State - Five Things To Know
- M. Basketball. Championship Bound: Irish Dominate LSU 92-53 In Maui Invitational Semifinal
- Baseball. Baseball Unveils 2018 Campaign
- W. Volleyball. Irish Ride Five Match Win Streak Into Final Week Of Regular Season
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Big Ten’s First Star For Second Consecutive Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It was great to see Jill Krivacek ('07) back at Notre Dame as a panelist for last night's @espnW Campus Conversatio… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of @ndsoccer and their spirit to battle back in the sweet 16 yesterday. Unfortunately we came up short but not wi… 1 day ago
- Thank you to our senior class that has given us 4+ years of unforgettable laughter, love and hard work. 💚 Notre Da… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- 🏆 Best of luck to Irish alumni Justin Morrow and Brandon Aubrey (Toronto FC vs. Columbus Crew, 8 p.m. ET, Eastern C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- We want to properly recognize and congratulate our senior class and pair of graduate captains for their outstanding… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Wisconsin wins 1-0 2 days ago