Sep 21, 2012, 6:09 PM EDT
“This is the year.”
It is the phrase which has been on the tip of the Notre Dame community’s tongue since the opening of the fall semester. Commonly, it is heard being uttered amongst Notre Dame football fans—but there is another reason this phrase is becoming ever popular.
While the Fighting Irish football team is off to its best start since 2002 (and arguably its most promising start since the 1988 national championship year), the men of the Notre Dame soccer team are on a historic march of their own. The last time the men’s soccer team started their season this well was the 1987 season (the year before the national championship football season). Notre Dame men’s soccer has had many encouraging starts in recent years, but none as promising as this season.
The Notre Dame men’s soccer team has not started with seven straight wins since that memorable 1987 season, and it is the third best start in the program’s history. They are behind only the 1978 season (10-0) and the 1987 season (9-0). They have opened this season with strong wins against the teams of Clemson, Akron, and, most notably, two wins against both Michigan and Michigan State this past weekend. If the team was not riding a wave of momentum before the weekend sweep, there is no doubt they are now. With two wins against their biggest archrivals, the Irish are seemingly unstoppable—but these upcoming matches will truly test the skill of the Irish.
This weekend marks the beginning of the Fighting Irish’s BIG EAST play, kicking off with a match against Louisville, followed by matches against ranked Indiana (non-league) and Connecticut. The wave of momentum the Irish are riding is threatening to crash upon the shore, but with strong leadership and skill from captains Dillon Powers and Michael Rose, it is likely they can continue to ride.
The Irish soccer team has unprecedented talent and skill. They’re en route to make this a historic year. They’re en route to make this the year.
About Irish United
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic and Epple Selected in First Two Rounds of MLL Draft
- W. Rowing. Irish Wrap Up NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Five Irish Headed To Eugene
- W. Rowing. Irish Earn Final Berths At The NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Richartz Secures Spot at NCAA Championships
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Day One At NCAA Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Long Island Sound Draft Two Irish Alumnae
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Season Finale
- Track & Field. Irish Punch Ticket To Eugene
- Football. Football & The Force Charity Softball Game
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The incredible Kiley Adams always making us proud! #STUDENTathlete twitter.com/fulbrightprgrm… 1 day ago
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of these ACC champs! Extraordinary people who have accomplished so much already and are just beginning their next… 1 week ago
- Congratulations to our seniors on graduating today!! We are SO proud of you && cannot wait to see what you do next!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- Good luck to all our guys during finals week! #finishstrong https://t.co/psRitXdiGw 2 weeks ago
- RT @NDMonogram: National Champions🏆 Team Captains☘️ Dean’s List Students📚 Med School Bound🎓 Congratulations Eva Niklinska 🤺 & Evan Panke… 3 weeks ago
- RT @gamedayND: A break in the weather, just in time for #Friday! Have a great weekend. ☘️😎🌤️🌷 https://t.co/JluRexvDzJ 3 weeks ago