Sep 21, 2012, 6:09 PM EST
“This is the year.”
It is the phrase which has been on the tip of the Notre Dame community’s tongue since the opening of the fall semester. Commonly, it is heard being uttered amongst Notre Dame football fans—but there is another reason this phrase is becoming ever popular.
While the Fighting Irish football team is off to its best start since 2002 (and arguably its most promising start since the 1988 national championship year), the men of the Notre Dame soccer team are on a historic march of their own. The last time the men’s soccer team started their season this well was the 1987 season (the year before the national championship football season). Notre Dame men’s soccer has had many encouraging starts in recent years, but none as promising as this season.
The Notre Dame men’s soccer team has not started with seven straight wins since that memorable 1987 season, and it is the third best start in the program’s history. They are behind only the 1978 season (10-0) and the 1987 season (9-0). They have opened this season with strong wins against the teams of Clemson, Akron, and, most notably, two wins against both Michigan and Michigan State this past weekend. If the team was not riding a wave of momentum before the weekend sweep, there is no doubt they are now. With two wins against their biggest archrivals, the Irish are seemingly unstoppable—but these upcoming matches will truly test the skill of the Irish.
This weekend marks the beginning of the Fighting Irish’s BIG EAST play, kicking off with a match against Louisville, followed by matches against ranked Indiana (non-league) and Connecticut. The wave of momentum the Irish are riding is threatening to crash upon the shore, but with strong leadership and skill from captains Dillon Powers and Michael Rose, it is likely they can continue to ride.
The Irish soccer team has unprecedented talent and skill. They’re en route to make this a historic year. They’re en route to make this the year.
About Irish United
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: 📚🎓☘️ May the road rise to meet you on the first day of the spring semester, Irish student-athletes! #GoIrish https://t… 2 days ago
- Excited to have everyone back on campus for the beginning of the spring semester! #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/3bC9aNiOaj 3 days ago
- The New Jersey native is heading back home! Congrats to @Sflores317 for being selected by @SkyBlueFC in today’s… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️ @NDMenSoccer midfielder Tommy McCabe became the 3️⃣6️⃣th Irish selection in the @MLS after being taken by @fccincinna… 1 day ago
- RT @fccincinnati: "It's going to be an awesome experience." Tommy McCabe joins @Alex_Stec_ after being selected 29th overall in the @MLS… 4 days ago
- ND➡️CIN With the 29th pick in the @MLS draft @fccincinnati selected Tommy McCabe! Congrats @tmccabe98 and best of… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago