Sep 17, 2012, 11:40 PM EDT
As of this week, Notre Dame is now a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference, but its time with the BIG EAST is not over yet. This year marks possibly the final season that Notre Dame women’s soccer will play in the BIG EAST, and conference play opened this wekeend.
The Friday game against Louisville brought a good turnout with a pre-game barbecue and a Leprechaun Legion scarf giveaway. The first goal of the game was made by freshman Crystal Thomas, who has begun her college career in an impressive way. Sophomore Lauren Bohaboy made the second Irish goal, and the game nearly ended in a 2-0 shutout, until Louisville scored a goal in the 88th minute.
While the desired shutout didn’t come on Friday, the game against Cincinnati on Sunday made up for it in magnitude. The first goal for the Irish was made by Friday’s scorers. Bohaboy made the goal with an assist from Thomas. A mere two and a half minutes later, the next Irish goal was scored by junior Mandy Laddish.
Six of the Irish goals scored were made in pairs: the first two came within three minutes of each other, the second two within 45 seconds, and the third two within 41 seconds.
The last goal, which was the first collegiate score for junior Nicole Rodriguez, stood alone, but capped off a towering win.
After the Louisville game, head coach Randy Waldrum expressed that he was pleased with the win, but disappointed that it didn’t end in a shutout.
He was clearly more pleased after the Cincinnati game on Sunday when he tweeted, “@NDCoachWaldrum: BabyIrish continue to grow up! Huge win today 7-0 over Cincinnati.”
This weekend was hopefully a good omen for women’s soccer. The two wins also helped give Notre Dame a nearly perfect weekend. Men and women’s cross country each took first place in their respective races. Men’s soccer topped Michigan State and Michigan to keep a perfect record. Twentieth-ranked football stunned #10 MSU with a 20-3 win in East Lansing. Finally, volleyball beat Kansas on Sunday after a disappointing loss to Loyola Marymount on Friday.
The Irish will next play Pittsburgh on Friday at 7:30 pm ET in Alumni Stadium. They lead the series 9-0-1.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Richter Award Finalist
- Baseball. Register Now: Irish Baseball Summer Camp
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Edged By Michigan, 13-12
- W. Soccer. SCHEDULE CHANGE: Irish to Face Purdue on Friday
- Baseball. Johnson Named Senior CLASS Candidate
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Playoffs Begin For No. 2 Irish
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: 2018 NCAA Championships
- Fencing. Sirico Named ACC Fencer of the Year for Women's Epee
- Baseball. Irish Drop Home Opener to NIU
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🚨SCHEDULE CHANGE 🚨 Notre Dame's spring opener at Purdue has been moved to 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday! ☘️⚽️ ➡️ MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @NotreDame: Happy Saint Patrick's Day! https://t.co/wEeK2ITAFC 5 days ago
- 👀 We see you, Sandra! #NDFamily ☘️ twitter.com/thornsfc/statu… 1 week ago
- Indy Eleven ✔︎ MSU ✔︎ Oakland ✔︎ Valpo ✔︎ Green Bay ✔︎ UK ✔︎ Bethel ✔︎ IU ✔︎ 🇲🇽 ✔︎ Come watch the Irish this sprin… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 weeks ago
- Congratulations to another of our own, 2007 grad and four-year Monogram winner Nate Norman, the new head coach of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
- Rounding out our newcomers is a midfielder from the state of Virginia. Welcome Bryan Silver! 🖋⚽️☘ https://t.co/2tXDjWIWYb 1 month ago