Sep 17, 2012, 11:40 PM EST
As of this week, Notre Dame is now a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference, but its time with the BIG EAST is not over yet. This year marks possibly the final season that Notre Dame women’s soccer will play in the BIG EAST, and conference play opened this wekeend.
The Friday game against Louisville brought a good turnout with a pre-game barbecue and a Leprechaun Legion scarf giveaway. The first goal of the game was made by freshman Crystal Thomas, who has begun her college career in an impressive way. Sophomore Lauren Bohaboy made the second Irish goal, and the game nearly ended in a 2-0 shutout, until Louisville scored a goal in the 88th minute.
While the desired shutout didn’t come on Friday, the game against Cincinnati on Sunday made up for it in magnitude. The first goal for the Irish was made by Friday’s scorers. Bohaboy made the goal with an assist from Thomas. A mere two and a half minutes later, the next Irish goal was scored by junior Mandy Laddish.
Six of the Irish goals scored were made in pairs: the first two came within three minutes of each other, the second two within 45 seconds, and the third two within 41 seconds.
The last goal, which was the first collegiate score for junior Nicole Rodriguez, stood alone, but capped off a towering win.
After the Louisville game, head coach Randy Waldrum expressed that he was pleased with the win, but disappointed that it didn’t end in a shutout.
He was clearly more pleased after the Cincinnati game on Sunday when he tweeted, “@NDCoachWaldrum: BabyIrish continue to grow up! Huge win today 7-0 over Cincinnati.”
This weekend was hopefully a good omen for women’s soccer. The two wins also helped give Notre Dame a nearly perfect weekend. Men and women’s cross country each took first place in their respective races. Men’s soccer topped Michigan State and Michigan to keep a perfect record. Twentieth-ranked football stunned #10 MSU with a 20-3 win in East Lansing. Finally, volleyball beat Kansas on Sunday after a disappointing loss to Loyola Marymount on Friday.
The Irish will next play Pittsburgh on Friday at 7:30 pm ET in Alumni Stadium. They lead the series 9-0-1.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
- Baseball. Greene Tabbed Auburn Athletic Director
- M. Soccer. Jon Gallagher Selected 14th Overall In 2018 MLS SuperDraft
- Track & Field. Welcome Home: Keys to the Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Keys To The Meets: St. John's and Philadelphia Invitationals
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Rally to 84-70 Victory Over No. 6 Vols
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish On The Road At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame at Clemson - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ICYMI: Sandra Yu was drafted No. 8 overall in the #NWSLDraft by @ThornsFC! ☘️🌹 MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 11 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Congratulations to @NDSoccer's Sandra Yu who was selected 8th overall at the @NWSL draft! Meet @ThornsFC's newest draft… 11 hours ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Sandra Yu became the fourth Irish athlete to be drafted by the @NWSL since 2012. The midfielder was selected No. 8 overall b… 18 hours ago
- That feeling you get when you hear your name called on Draft Day...☘️⚽️ (all rights to MLSSoccer.com) https://t.co/3R8D5y12Ob 9 hours ago
- Notre Dame has now seen 28 players selected in the #MLSSuperDraft since 2004, including 22 players in the first two… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- Hear from Atlanta’s latest draft pick himself! 🎤🎥 twitter.com/mls/status/954… 14 hours ago