Sep 16, 2012, 10:13 PM EDT
Michigan 0 – Notre Dame 1 (o.t.)
It was another beautiful late summer afternoon in Ann Arbor when the Irish travelled to play against the University of Michigan in the second game of the Big East – Big Ten Challenge. The setting was perfect, but the opening half was a fairly dull affair. It really looked like the second game of a two-game weekend. Notre Dame huffed and puffed, had more possession but most of their passes were in their own half of the field. Michigan, on the other hand, seemed quite content to sit behind the ball and slow the game down.
Halftime talk centered around tempo, energy, and desire. This brought a new vigor to Notre Dame, and Grinwis in the Michigan goal came up big on numerous occasions. Passing was much slicker now and the game was being played entirely in the Wolverines’ half. It felt as though it was simply a matter of time before Notre Dame went ahead. Somehow, Michigan stayed in the game and as the half wore on, they began looking dangerous on transition and on set pieces.
The match slid into overtime and it was very much more of the same. Notre Dame combining the passes, but Michigan looking to nick a set piece. How ironic was that it was Notre Dame went on to nick the game in the 104th minute on a set piece. Notre Dame got a free kick out near the sideline about 25 yards from goal. Dillon Powers to the kick and swung a ‘Beckham-esque’ curling cross that found the head of Ryan Finley and Ryan neatly glanced a header into the corner of the goal to give the Irish a tight, but well-deserved win.
That is the end of the the double game weekends and we now move to a Saturday-Wednesday format. We have three huge road games coming up, starting with Louisville next Saturday. We follow this up by going to Indiana and then Connecticut.
One game at a time……………Go Irish!
About Irish United
- W. Soccer. Irish Set to Battle #4 Duke
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State Preview: Reminisce Then Rally
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Break Competitive Bowling Green Spirit In 2-1 Win
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Golf. NCAA Connection Takes Irish Golfer to Haiti
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans To Captain Irish In 2017-18
- Football. Megaphone On The Line For Irish & Spartans
- W. Soccer. Jacobs Nets ACC Player of the Week Honor
- M. Soccer. #2 Irish And #19 Bowling Green Meet Tuesday At Alumni Stadium
- W. Volleyball. Fry Named ACC Volleyball Player Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🖐🏼 what you're doing... Go follow @LepLegion on Snapchat for the women's soccer takeover! ☘️👻 https://t.co/Z42x0VJMPI 3 hours ago
- Notre Dame returns home after 18 days for top-10 battle against No. 4 @DukeWSOC ☘️ ➡️ PREVIEW: und.com/sports/w-socce… 5 hours ago
- ⚽️ ONE DAY ⚽️ Wear white tomorrow as we face @DukeWSOC at Alumni Stadium! #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/MQ4oWwg0d5 7 hours ago
- Keep your eyes and ears out for Coach Clark and goalkeeper Chris Hubbard later this week on the Jack Swarbrick Show! https://t.co/fqIeV48Xwq 5 hours ago
- X TIC TAC TOE O 📹 Blake Townes to Jack Casey to Jon Gallagher opened the Irish goal account against Bowling Green… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- 📹 HIGHLIGHT MIXTAPE 📹 All of the key moments from Notre Dame's 2-1 Tuesday win against Bowling Green are here! https://t.co/6r7fDg4f3M 1 day ago