Sep 16, 2012, 10:13 PM EDT
Michigan 0 – Notre Dame 1 (o.t.)
It was another beautiful late summer afternoon in Ann Arbor when the Irish travelled to play against the University of Michigan in the second game of the Big East – Big Ten Challenge. The setting was perfect, but the opening half was a fairly dull affair. It really looked like the second game of a two-game weekend. Notre Dame huffed and puffed, had more possession but most of their passes were in their own half of the field. Michigan, on the other hand, seemed quite content to sit behind the ball and slow the game down.
Halftime talk centered around tempo, energy, and desire. This brought a new vigor to Notre Dame, and Grinwis in the Michigan goal came up big on numerous occasions. Passing was much slicker now and the game was being played entirely in the Wolverines’ half. It felt as though it was simply a matter of time before Notre Dame went ahead. Somehow, Michigan stayed in the game and as the half wore on, they began looking dangerous on transition and on set pieces.
The match slid into overtime and it was very much more of the same. Notre Dame combining the passes, but Michigan looking to nick a set piece. How ironic was that it was Notre Dame went on to nick the game in the 104th minute on a set piece. Notre Dame got a free kick out near the sideline about 25 yards from goal. Dillon Powers to the kick and swung a ‘Beckham-esque’ curling cross that found the head of Ryan Finley and Ryan neatly glanced a header into the corner of the goal to give the Irish a tight, but well-deserved win.
That is the end of the the double game weekends and we now move to a Saturday-Wednesday format. We have three huge road games coming up, starting with Louisville next Saturday. We follow this up by going to Indiana and then Connecticut.
One game at a time……………Go Irish!
About Irish United
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Super excited to have @LiverpoolFCW and @LFC on campus this week! #GoIrish ☘️ twitter.com/liverpoolfcw/s… 1 day ago
- Big news for the former @NDSoccer standout! Congrats on the new gig, Sandra! #GoIrish ☘️ twitter.com/valpoathletics… 1 day ago
- It is camp week and Liverpool week!! What an exciting time to be on campus!! #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/zl1yxyUmUg 2 days ago
- 😍😍😍 twitter.com/LFC/status/115… 43 minutes ago
- Great read on former standout @JonGallagher96, as he is beginning to get settled at @AberdeenFC: dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football… #GoIrish 20 hours ago
- Awesome to have @DAVID__ROBERTS, Liverpool's head grounds manager, here all week working on our pitches! #GoIrish☘️ https://t.co/Fo32inO7Vz 1 day ago