Sep 14, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
Before Notre Dame and Michigan State clash in a nationally televised football game tomorrow evening, the Fighting Irish and Spartans met in a non-conference men’s soccer game on a beautiful night at Alumni Stadium. With a 2-0 win, third-ranked Notre Dame improved to 6-0-0, the team’s best start since winning nine straight to begin the 1987 campaign.
The squads remained scoreless until the 28th minute, when Harrison Shipp rocketed a shot from just outside the box into the upper 90. The unassisted goal was the junior’s second of the year.
It was a physical first half, with 14 fouls on the Spartans, and another 10 called against the Irish.
During the break, students played in the final of the 4th annual Lose The Shoes tournament to benefit Grassroot Soccer. “The Real Americans” defeated “Legs Feed The Wolf,” 2-0 in the 3-v-3 barefoot game. This year’s tournament raised over $1,300 for the organization, which was started by head coach Bobby Clark‘s son, Tommy, in 2002.
Early in the second half, Notre Dame added to its lead, when freshman Patrick Hodan netted his first career goal, an unassisted shot from 20 yards out, sending fans into euphoria.
With a pair of saves, senior goalkeeper Will Walsh registered his fourth shutout of the season.
On an evening when many local fans have high school football on the mind, a nice home crowd cheered on the Irish in the nightcap of a doubleheader. In the opener, Randy Waldrum‘s women’s squad defeated Louisville, 2-1, in the first BIG EAST game of the season for the “Baby Irish.”
Sitting at 6-0-0, the #3 Irish will now begin perhaps their most difficult stretch of the season – a series of four consecutive road games, which includes stops at Michigan, Louisville, #16 Indiana and #4 Connecticut. Notre Dame will be back at Alumni Stadium on Wednesday, Oct. 3, when it takes on Pittsburgh at 7 pm ET.
Stay tuned to UND.com for a full recap and highlights of the game.
About Irish United
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Photos #5 - ACC CHAMPS! @NDSoccer took down Miami 2-0 at home for its 1st regular-season ACC… 1 day ago
- RT @DawnSiergiej: One of the coolest 🌈 I've ever seen. Take it as good luck while recruiting future Irish. ☘️☘️☘️ https://t.co/KSIjs43SkH 1 day ago
- RT @FIFAWWC: 9⃣0⃣mins. ✅ 5⃣7⃣2⃣9⃣metres. ✅ 🏔️👩⚽️Mount Kilimanjaro. ✅ What an amazing achievement @EPFinitiative. 📸 facebook.com/pg/fifawomensw… h… 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇺🇸FOR THE RED, WHITE & BLUE TWO @NDMenSoccer alums to play for US Men's National Team in 2017 Gold Cup. 👀@ussoccer htt… 21 hours ago
- Congratulations to ND soccer alums @MattBesler & @justmorrow for being named to the 23-man @ussoccer 2017 Gold Cup… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Our 2017 gauntlet has been released! Get your season tickets now! 🎟️ ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomme… https://t.co/l1LRVAX3o7 6 days ago