Sep 14, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
Before Notre Dame and Michigan State clash in a nationally televised football game tomorrow evening, the Fighting Irish and Spartans met in a non-conference men’s soccer game on a beautiful night at Alumni Stadium. With a 2-0 win, third-ranked Notre Dame improved to 6-0-0, the team’s best start since winning nine straight to begin the 1987 campaign.
The squads remained scoreless until the 28th minute, when Harrison Shipp rocketed a shot from just outside the box into the upper 90. The unassisted goal was the junior’s second of the year.
It was a physical first half, with 14 fouls on the Spartans, and another 10 called against the Irish.
During the break, students played in the final of the 4th annual Lose The Shoes tournament to benefit Grassroot Soccer. “The Real Americans” defeated “Legs Feed The Wolf,” 2-0 in the 3-v-3 barefoot game. This year’s tournament raised over $1,300 for the organization, which was started by head coach Bobby Clark‘s son, Tommy, in 2002.
Early in the second half, Notre Dame added to its lead, when freshman Patrick Hodan netted his first career goal, an unassisted shot from 20 yards out, sending fans into euphoria.
With a pair of saves, senior goalkeeper Will Walsh registered his fourth shutout of the season.
On an evening when many local fans have high school football on the mind, a nice home crowd cheered on the Irish in the nightcap of a doubleheader. In the opener, Randy Waldrum‘s women’s squad defeated Louisville, 2-1, in the first BIG EAST game of the season for the “Baby Irish.”
Sitting at 6-0-0, the #3 Irish will now begin perhaps their most difficult stretch of the season – a series of four consecutive road games, which includes stops at Michigan, Louisville, #16 Indiana and #4 Connecticut. Notre Dame will be back at Alumni Stadium on Wednesday, Oct. 3, when it takes on Pittsburgh at 7 pm ET.
Stay tuned to UND.com for a full recap and highlights of the game.
About Irish United
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDSoccer: 🗒🖊@kateeoconnorr and @sammifisherr talked to Goshen's Write on Sports camp about their soccer career and role models. Keep a… 6 days ago
- 🗒🖊@kateeoconnorr and @sammifisherr talked to Goshen's Write on Sports camp about their soccer career and role model… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- RT @46Sports: Nice story today by my man @tnoieNDI on @brooke_vandyck skipping her senior year for @PennGirlsSoccer to play for @NDSoccer… 1 week ago
- Great time viewing the game today with all these soccer fans!! twitter.com/mattcashore/st… 3 days ago
- RT @NDAthEquipment: Delivery day ☝🏻 in the 📚 29 pallets ✔️ What will day ✌🏻 bring? 🤔 #TeamUA @UnderArmour https://t.co/SzBfoJ0vKe 1 week ago
- RT @SaintLouisFC: We need to make a quick introduction: We've signed Saint Louis FC Academy U19 forward Jack Lynn on a USL Academy contract… 1 week ago