Sep 14, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
Before Notre Dame and Michigan State clash in a nationally televised football game tomorrow evening, the Fighting Irish and Spartans met in a non-conference men’s soccer game on a beautiful night at Alumni Stadium. With a 2-0 win, third-ranked Notre Dame improved to 6-0-0, the team’s best start since winning nine straight to begin the 1987 campaign.
The squads remained scoreless until the 28th minute, when Harrison Shipp rocketed a shot from just outside the box into the upper 90. The unassisted goal was the junior’s second of the year.
It was a physical first half, with 14 fouls on the Spartans, and another 10 called against the Irish.
During the break, students played in the final of the 4th annual Lose The Shoes tournament to benefit Grassroot Soccer. “The Real Americans” defeated “Legs Feed The Wolf,” 2-0 in the 3-v-3 barefoot game. This year’s tournament raised over $1,300 for the organization, which was started by head coach Bobby Clark‘s son, Tommy, in 2002.
Early in the second half, Notre Dame added to its lead, when freshman Patrick Hodan netted his first career goal, an unassisted shot from 20 yards out, sending fans into euphoria.
With a pair of saves, senior goalkeeper Will Walsh registered his fourth shutout of the season.
On an evening when many local fans have high school football on the mind, a nice home crowd cheered on the Irish in the nightcap of a doubleheader. In the opener, Randy Waldrum‘s women’s squad defeated Louisville, 2-1, in the first BIG EAST game of the season for the “Baby Irish.”
Sitting at 6-0-0, the #3 Irish will now begin perhaps their most difficult stretch of the season – a series of four consecutive road games, which includes stops at Michigan, Louisville, #16 Indiana and #4 Connecticut. Notre Dame will be back at Alumni Stadium on Wednesday, Oct. 3, when it takes on Pittsburgh at 7 pm ET.
Stay tuned to UND.com for a full recap and highlights of the game.
About Irish United
- Baseball. Vierling Nabs All-ACC Nod
- Football. Sam Mustipher Named To Rimington Trophy Watch List
- Softball. Cal Steals 5-3 Decision From Irish
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Denver Roars Past Irish
- Baseball. ACC Baseball Championship Next Stop For Irish
- Softball. Irish Topple ETSU In Extras, 7-6
- General News. Sunday Brunch: Kiefer Best of the Best
- Baseball. Postseason Bound Irish Fall In Finale
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Fall To Denver In NCAA Championship Quarterfinals
- Baseball. Irish Drop A Wild One To Eagles
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of these ACC champs! Extraordinary people who have accomplished so much already and are just beginning their next… 1 day ago
- Congratulations to our seniors on graduating today!! We are SO proud of you && cannot wait to see what you do next!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @flrmonica5: Irish ☘️ https://t.co/9Zw6gF5AjZ 1 day ago
- Good luck to all our guys during finals week! #finishstrong https://t.co/psRitXdiGw 2 weeks ago
- RT @NDMonogram: National Champions🏆 Team Captains☘️ Dean’s List Students📚 Med School Bound🎓 Congratulations Eva Niklinska 🤺 & Evan Panke… 2 weeks ago
- RT @gamedayND: A break in the weather, just in time for #Friday! Have a great weekend. ☘️😎🌤️🌷 https://t.co/JluRexvDzJ 2 weeks ago