Sep 14, 2012, 9:05 PM EST
Before Notre Dame and Michigan State clash in a nationally televised football game tomorrow evening, the Fighting Irish and Spartans met in a non-conference men’s soccer game on a beautiful night at Alumni Stadium. With a 2-0 win, third-ranked Notre Dame improved to 6-0-0, the team’s best start since winning nine straight to begin the 1987 campaign.
The squads remained scoreless until the 28th minute, when Harrison Shipp rocketed a shot from just outside the box into the upper 90. The unassisted goal was the junior’s second of the year.
It was a physical first half, with 14 fouls on the Spartans, and another 10 called against the Irish.
During the break, students played in the final of the 4th annual Lose The Shoes tournament to benefit Grassroot Soccer. “The Real Americans” defeated “Legs Feed The Wolf,” 2-0 in the 3-v-3 barefoot game. This year’s tournament raised over $1,300 for the organization, which was started by head coach Bobby Clark‘s son, Tommy, in 2002.
Early in the second half, Notre Dame added to its lead, when freshman Patrick Hodan netted his first career goal, an unassisted shot from 20 yards out, sending fans into euphoria.
With a pair of saves, senior goalkeeper Will Walsh registered his fourth shutout of the season.
On an evening when many local fans have high school football on the mind, a nice home crowd cheered on the Irish in the nightcap of a doubleheader. In the opener, Randy Waldrum‘s women’s squad defeated Louisville, 2-1, in the first BIG EAST game of the season for the “Baby Irish.”
Sitting at 6-0-0, the #3 Irish will now begin perhaps their most difficult stretch of the season – a series of four consecutive road games, which includes stops at Michigan, Louisville, #16 Indiana and #4 Connecticut. Notre Dame will be back at Alumni Stadium on Wednesday, Oct. 3, when it takes on Pittsburgh at 7 pm ET.
Stay tuned to UND.com for a full recap and highlights of the game.
About Irish United
- M. Basketball. CHAMPS: Irish Shock Wichita State To Win Maui Invitational
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon's Career Night Not Enough Against Syracuse
- Football. Five Favorite Photos of The Week
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos of The Week
- Track & Field. Irish Release 2017-18 Indoor Track and Field Schedule
- Football. Notre Dame-Stanford Preview: Lots on the Line
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Signee Taichi Kho to Compete in UBS Hong Kong Open
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Primed For Weekend Series With #6 Minnesota
- Football. Offensive Line Named Joe Moore Award Semifinalists
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Finalist
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It was great to see Jill Krivacek ('07) back at Notre Dame as a panelist for last night's @espnW Campus Conversatio… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of @ndsoccer and their spirit to battle back in the sweet 16 yesterday. Unfortunately we came up short but not wi… 2 days ago
- Thank you to our senior class that has given us 4+ years of unforgettable laughter, love and hard work. 💚 Notre Da… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- 🏆 Best of luck to Irish alumni Justin Morrow and Brandon Aubrey (Toronto FC vs. Columbus Crew, 8 p.m. ET, Eastern C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- We want to properly recognize and congratulate our senior class and pair of graduate captains for their outstanding… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- Wisconsin wins 1-0 3 days ago