Sep 14, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
One thing I know about soccer is that a loss is not always a bad thing. Sometimes, a tough loss can be exactly the motivation a great team needs in order to reach its full potential.
I can personally attest to this, as a member of the 2010 national championship Notre Dame women’s soccer team. Leading up to the NCAA tournament, we experienced a heartbreaking loss to Connecticut, knocking us out of the BIG EAST tournament and breaking a 77-game winning streak in the conference. It was a demoralizing defeat, and we felt as if we had let the school down.
However, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise, by allowing us to regroup and rebuild before the NCAA tournament. Ultimately, it made us stronger as a unit and pushed us to win it all.
This past weekend’s 3-0 loss against Washington could have a similar function for head coach Randy Waldrum‘s team this year. It exposed the Irish to the pains of losing and pointed out areas of weakness that the team must improve before conference play. One specific area the Irish have set out to improve is their intesity throughout the entire 90-minute game. Junior midfielder Nicole Rodriguez elaborated, saying, “If we want to go undefeated in the conference, we have to be able to string together 90 minutes of intense play. We cannot let up at any time.”
Now as they return home, the Irish know exactly what they need to work on, in order to compete in the conference and rise as the dominating force that they traditionally are. In addition, the squad will receive help from two teammates returning from the U-20 World Cup in Japan. Junior midfielder Mandy Laddish and freshman defender Cari Roccaro came home this week after winning a World Cup championship. All these elements combined create the perfect environment for Notre Dame to bounce back.
The Irish will get a chance to show us what they’ve got later today, in their BIG EAST opener versus Louisville. That game begins at 4 pm ET and will be nationally televised on ESPNU.
About Irish United
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic and Epple Selected in First Two Rounds of MLL Draft
- W. Rowing. Irish Wrap Up NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Five Irish Headed To Eugene
- W. Rowing. Irish Earn Final Berths At The NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Richartz Secures Spot at NCAA Championships
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Day One At NCAA Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Long Island Sound Draft Two Irish Alumnae
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Season Finale
- Track & Field. Irish Punch Ticket To Eugene
- Football. Football & The Force Charity Softball Game
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The incredible Kiley Adams always making us proud! #STUDENTathlete twitter.com/fulbrightprgrm… 1 day ago
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of these ACC champs! Extraordinary people who have accomplished so much already and are just beginning their next… 1 week ago
- Congratulations to our seniors on graduating today!! We are SO proud of you && cannot wait to see what you do next!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- Good luck to all our guys during finals week! #finishstrong https://t.co/psRitXdiGw 2 weeks ago
- RT @NDMonogram: National Champions🏆 Team Captains☘️ Dean’s List Students📚 Med School Bound🎓 Congratulations Eva Niklinska 🤺 & Evan Panke… 3 weeks ago
- RT @gamedayND: A break in the weather, just in time for #Friday! Have a great weekend. ☘️😎🌤️🌷 https://t.co/JluRexvDzJ 3 weeks ago