Sep 12, 2012, 5:04 PM EST
Campus is abuzz over the football squad’s 2-0 start and upcoming showdowns with traditional powers Michigan State and Michigan.
But the Irish of the gridiron are not the only team carrying an undefeated record into consecutive matchups with the Spartans and Wolverines. The eighth-ranked Notre Dame’s men’s soccer team is 5-0-0 and will square off against Michigan State at home on Friday before heading to Ann Arbor on Sunday to take on Michigan.
As of late, the Irish have played these two universities on essentially an annual basis. Notre Dame is 5-3-1 against the men from East Lansing in the past ten years, 7-3-1 against the Wolverines. Neither opponent is ranked; however, as the old sports cliché goes, records and rankings can be thrown out the window when it comes to rivalry games.
However, one can never discard momentum, and the Irish have a wealth of it. They have captured titles in each of the two tournaments they have entered this season. They are coming off of a hard-fought, emotional victory against powerhouse Akron. What’s more, the Irish will be well rested after having five days to recuperate from their Sunday conquering of the Zips.
It has been 25 years since Notre Dame last opened with five consecutive victories; the Irish began 9-0-0 in 1987. Defense has been the linchpin of the team thus far. The Irish have allowed more than a single goal just once and have posted two shutouts. On the offensive side, the emergence of junior forward Leon Brown has helped the Irish cope with the losses of senior midfielders Michael Rose and Adam Mena to injury.
Notre Dame-Michigan State will kick off at 7 on Friday at Alumni Stadium (You can watch that contest live on UND.com). The Irish and Wolverines will begin their match on Sunday at 2 in Ann Arbor.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Ranked #15 In Polls After Petersen's Big Weekend
- M. Basketball. Virginia Preview - Five Things To Know
- W. Tennis. Irish Roll To Twin Sweeps In Season-Opening Doubleheader
- M. Tennis. Irish Fall To #15 Kentucky In Tight 5-2 Contest
- Fencing. Irish Wrap New York Stay At NYU Invite
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Breezes By Tar Heels
- M. Basketball. Sunday Brunch: Irish Defense Dooms 'Cuse
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Blank New Hampshire 3-0 For A Three Point Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. Fighting Irish Victorious in Indianapolis
- Fencing. Irish Look Strong At Elite St. John's Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- It's that time of year again! Registration is now open for the 2017 ND Soccer National Coaching Seminar! DETAILS:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
- The Irish were well represented in the MLS this past year! STORY: und.com/sports/m-socce… https://t.co/IqishMr4gJ 5 days ago
- Congratulations @Brandon_Aubrey on being drafted by Toronto FC! #IrishPride STORY: und.com/sports/m-socce… https://t.co/skxgqY7P88 1 week ago