Sep 12, 2012, 5:04 PM EST
Campus is abuzz over the football squad’s 2-0 start and upcoming showdowns with traditional powers Michigan State and Michigan.
But the Irish of the gridiron are not the only team carrying an undefeated record into consecutive matchups with the Spartans and Wolverines. The eighth-ranked Notre Dame’s men’s soccer team is 5-0-0 and will square off against Michigan State at home on Friday before heading to Ann Arbor on Sunday to take on Michigan.
As of late, the Irish have played these two universities on essentially an annual basis. Notre Dame is 5-3-1 against the men from East Lansing in the past ten years, 7-3-1 against the Wolverines. Neither opponent is ranked; however, as the old sports cliché goes, records and rankings can be thrown out the window when it comes to rivalry games.
However, one can never discard momentum, and the Irish have a wealth of it. They have captured titles in each of the two tournaments they have entered this season. They are coming off of a hard-fought, emotional victory against powerhouse Akron. What’s more, the Irish will be well rested after having five days to recuperate from their Sunday conquering of the Zips.
It has been 25 years since Notre Dame last opened with five consecutive victories; the Irish began 9-0-0 in 1987. Defense has been the linchpin of the team thus far. The Irish have allowed more than a single goal just once and have posted two shutouts. On the offensive side, the emergence of junior forward Leon Brown has helped the Irish cope with the losses of senior midfielders Michael Rose and Adam Mena to injury.
Notre Dame-Michigan State will kick off at 7 on Friday at Alumni Stadium (You can watch that contest live on UND.com). The Irish and Wolverines will begin their match on Sunday at 2 in Ann Arbor.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
- Baseball. Greene Tabbed Auburn Athletic Director
- M. Soccer. Jon Gallagher Selected 14th Overall In 2018 MLS SuperDraft
- Track & Field. Welcome Home: Keys to the Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Keys To The Meets: St. John's and Philadelphia Invitationals
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Rally to 84-70 Victory Over No. 6 Vols
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish On The Road At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame at Clemson - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ICYMI: Sandra Yu was drafted No. 8 overall in the #NWSLDraft by @ThornsFC! ☘️🌹 MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 11 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Congratulations to @NDSoccer's Sandra Yu who was selected 8th overall at the @NWSL draft! Meet @ThornsFC's newest draft… 11 hours ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Sandra Yu became the fourth Irish athlete to be drafted by the @NWSL since 2012. The midfielder was selected No. 8 overall b… 18 hours ago
- That feeling you get when you hear your name called on Draft Day...☘️⚽️ (all rights to MLSSoccer.com) https://t.co/3R8D5y12Ob 9 hours ago
- Notre Dame has now seen 28 players selected in the #MLSSuperDraft since 2004, including 22 players in the first two… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- Hear from Atlanta’s latest draft pick himself! 🎤🎥 twitter.com/mls/status/954… 14 hours ago