Sep 12, 2012, 5:04 PM EDT
Campus is abuzz over the football squad’s 2-0 start and upcoming showdowns with traditional powers Michigan State and Michigan.
But the Irish of the gridiron are not the only team carrying an undefeated record into consecutive matchups with the Spartans and Wolverines. The eighth-ranked Notre Dame’s men’s soccer team is 5-0-0 and will square off against Michigan State at home on Friday before heading to Ann Arbor on Sunday to take on Michigan.
As of late, the Irish have played these two universities on essentially an annual basis. Notre Dame is 5-3-1 against the men from East Lansing in the past ten years, 7-3-1 against the Wolverines. Neither opponent is ranked; however, as the old sports cliché goes, records and rankings can be thrown out the window when it comes to rivalry games.
However, one can never discard momentum, and the Irish have a wealth of it. They have captured titles in each of the two tournaments they have entered this season. They are coming off of a hard-fought, emotional victory against powerhouse Akron. What’s more, the Irish will be well rested after having five days to recuperate from their Sunday conquering of the Zips.
It has been 25 years since Notre Dame last opened with five consecutive victories; the Irish began 9-0-0 in 1987. Defense has been the linchpin of the team thus far. The Irish have allowed more than a single goal just once and have posted two shutouts. On the offensive side, the emergence of junior forward Leon Brown has helped the Irish cope with the losses of senior midfielders Michael Rose and Adam Mena to injury.
Notre Dame-Michigan State will kick off at 7 on Friday at Alumni Stadium (You can watch that contest live on UND.com). The Irish and Wolverines will begin their match on Sunday at 2 in Ann Arbor.
About Irish United
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Photos #5 - ACC CHAMPS! @NDSoccer took down Miami 2-0 at home for its 1st regular-season ACC… 1 day ago
- RT @DawnSiergiej: One of the coolest 🌈 I've ever seen. Take it as good luck while recruiting future Irish. ☘️☘️☘️ https://t.co/KSIjs43SkH 1 day ago
- RT @FIFAWWC: 9⃣0⃣mins. ✅ 5⃣7⃣2⃣9⃣metres. ✅ 🏔️👩⚽️Mount Kilimanjaro. ✅ What an amazing achievement @EPFinitiative. 📸 facebook.com/pg/fifawomensw… h… 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇺🇸FOR THE RED, WHITE & BLUE TWO @NDMenSoccer alums to play for US Men's National Team in 2017 Gold Cup. 👀@ussoccer htt… 21 hours ago
- Congratulations to ND soccer alums @MattBesler & @justmorrow for being named to the 23-man @ussoccer 2017 Gold Cup… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Our 2017 gauntlet has been released! Get your season tickets now! 🎟️ ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomme… https://t.co/l1LRVAX3o7 6 days ago