Sep 12, 2012, 5:04 PM EDT
Campus is abuzz over the football squad’s 2-0 start and upcoming showdowns with traditional powers Michigan State and Michigan.
But the Irish of the gridiron are not the only team carrying an undefeated record into consecutive matchups with the Spartans and Wolverines. The eighth-ranked Notre Dame’s men’s soccer team is 5-0-0 and will square off against Michigan State at home on Friday before heading to Ann Arbor on Sunday to take on Michigan.
As of late, the Irish have played these two universities on essentially an annual basis. Notre Dame is 5-3-1 against the men from East Lansing in the past ten years, 7-3-1 against the Wolverines. Neither opponent is ranked; however, as the old sports cliché goes, records and rankings can be thrown out the window when it comes to rivalry games.
However, one can never discard momentum, and the Irish have a wealth of it. They have captured titles in each of the two tournaments they have entered this season. They are coming off of a hard-fought, emotional victory against powerhouse Akron. What’s more, the Irish will be well rested after having five days to recuperate from their Sunday conquering of the Zips.
It has been 25 years since Notre Dame last opened with five consecutive victories; the Irish began 9-0-0 in 1987. Defense has been the linchpin of the team thus far. The Irish have allowed more than a single goal just once and have posted two shutouts. On the offensive side, the emergence of junior forward Leon Brown has helped the Irish cope with the losses of senior midfielders Michael Rose and Adam Mena to injury.
Notre Dame-Michigan State will kick off at 7 on Friday at Alumni Stadium (You can watch that contest live on UND.com). The Irish and Wolverines will begin their match on Sunday at 2 in Ann Arbor.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Richter Award Finalist
- Baseball. Register Now: Irish Baseball Summer Camp
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Edged By Michigan, 13-12
- W. Soccer. SCHEDULE CHANGE: Irish to Face Purdue on Friday
- Baseball. Johnson Named Senior CLASS Candidate
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Playoffs Begin For No. 2 Irish
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: 2018 NCAA Championships
- Fencing. Sirico Named ACC Fencer of the Year for Women's Epee
- Baseball. Irish Drop Home Opener to NIU
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🚨SCHEDULE CHANGE 🚨 Notre Dame's spring opener at Purdue has been moved to 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday! ☘️⚽️ ➡️ MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @NotreDame: Happy Saint Patrick's Day! https://t.co/wEeK2ITAFC 5 days ago
- 👀 We see you, Sandra! #NDFamily ☘️ twitter.com/thornsfc/statu… 1 week ago
- Indy Eleven ✔︎ MSU ✔︎ Oakland ✔︎ Valpo ✔︎ Green Bay ✔︎ UK ✔︎ Bethel ✔︎ IU ✔︎ 🇲🇽 ✔︎ Come watch the Irish this sprin… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 weeks ago
- Congratulations to another of our own, 2007 grad and four-year Monogram winner Nate Norman, the new head coach of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
- Rounding out our newcomers is a midfielder from the state of Virginia. Welcome Bryan Silver! 🖋⚽️☘ https://t.co/2tXDjWIWYb 1 month ago