Sep 10, 2012, 1:58 PM EDT
It was a tough weekend for the “Baby Irish” as they failed to bring home a win during their west coast swing. Notre Dame began the weekend facing off against the No. 19 Portland Pilots. Portland, historically one of the best women’s teams, presented a challenge for the Irish as they battled to a 1-1 draw.
Along with Notre Dame and North Carolina, Portland is the only other team to have won multiple national championships, bringing home the title in 2002 and 2005. With that being said, head coach Randy Waldrum seemed happy with the result stating that his team “showed a lot of fight and competed well on the road.”
Portland scored first in the 31st minute after a free kick. The initial free kick was saved, but the Irish failed to clear the ball and the Pilots took full advantage, rocketing a shot into the back of the net. Notre Dame did not take this lying down and answered with a goal of its own less than nine minutes later. In the 39th minute sophomore defender Sammy Scofield scored her second goal of the season, heading the ball into the goal off of a corner kick from freshman forward Anna Maria Gilbertson.
Unfortunately, the Irish could not hold on to this momentum for Sunday’s game against Washington. The Irish fell 3-0 to the Huskies, giving up 2 goals in the first half and another late in the game. As they return home, the focus shifts to conference play as they prepare for their BIG EAST opener against Louisville (Friday, 4 pm ET at Alumni Stadium on ESPNU).
About Irish United
- W. Soccer. What to Watch: Butler vs. Notre Dame
- M. Basketball. Irish Legend Tom Hawkins Passes Away
- W. Soccer. Irish Add Casper to Women’s Soccer Staff
- Bigger Than Brick. Premium Seating Added To Football Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Visitors Tunnel and Locker Room
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Claims ITA National Summer Championship
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Brings Home Four Nations Tournament Title
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Server Room
- W. Soccer. ACC Network Extra to Broadcast 13 Matches
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Flag Pole
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The Irish and Bulldogs are set to open the 2017 campaign on Friday! ☘️⚽️ ➡️ PREVIEW: und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 hour ago
- Ladies and gentlemen, your 2017 Fighting Irish! ☘️⚽️ https://t.co/uxzlAtUh0p 2 hours ago
- 2017 Training Camp ✔️ The Irish are ready to square off with @ButlerWSoccer in their regular-season opener TOMORRO… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago