Sep 10, 2012, 1:58 PM EST
It was a tough weekend for the “Baby Irish” as they failed to bring home a win during their west coast swing. Notre Dame began the weekend facing off against the No. 19 Portland Pilots. Portland, historically one of the best women’s teams, presented a challenge for the Irish as they battled to a 1-1 draw.
Along with Notre Dame and North Carolina, Portland is the only other team to have won multiple national championships, bringing home the title in 2002 and 2005. With that being said, head coach Randy Waldrum seemed happy with the result stating that his team “showed a lot of fight and competed well on the road.”
Portland scored first in the 31st minute after a free kick. The initial free kick was saved, but the Irish failed to clear the ball and the Pilots took full advantage, rocketing a shot into the back of the net. Notre Dame did not take this lying down and answered with a goal of its own less than nine minutes later. In the 39th minute sophomore defender Sammy Scofield scored her second goal of the season, heading the ball into the goal off of a corner kick from freshman forward Anna Maria Gilbertson.
Unfortunately, the Irish could not hold on to this momentum for Sunday’s game against Washington. The Irish fell 3-0 to the Huskies, giving up 2 goals in the first half and another late in the game. As they return home, the focus shifts to conference play as they prepare for their BIG EAST opener against Louisville (Friday, 4 pm ET at Alumni Stadium on ESPNU).
About Irish United
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Signee Taichi Kho to Compete in UBS Hong Kong Open
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Primed For Weekend Series With #6 Minnesota
- Football. Offensive Line Named Joe Moore Award Semifinalists
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Finalist
- W. Basketball. No. 6 Irish Depart for Gulf Coast Showcase
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Wichita State - Five Things To Know
- M. Basketball. Championship Bound: Irish Dominate LSU 92-53 In Maui Invitational Semifinal
- Baseball. Baseball Unveils 2018 Campaign
- W. Volleyball. Irish Ride Five Match Win Streak Into Final Week Of Regular Season
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Big Ten’s First Star For Second Consecutive Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It was great to see Jill Krivacek ('07) back at Notre Dame as a panelist for last night's @espnW Campus Conversatio… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of @ndsoccer and their spirit to battle back in the sweet 16 yesterday. Unfortunately we came up short but not wi… 1 day ago
- Thank you to our senior class that has given us 4+ years of unforgettable laughter, love and hard work. 💚 Notre Da… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- 🏆 Best of luck to Irish alumni Justin Morrow and Brandon Aubrey (Toronto FC vs. Columbus Crew, 8 p.m. ET, Eastern C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- We want to properly recognize and congratulate our senior class and pair of graduate captains for their outstanding… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Wisconsin wins 1-0 2 days ago