Sep 10, 2012, 1:58 PM EST
It was a tough weekend for the “Baby Irish” as they failed to bring home a win during their west coast swing. Notre Dame began the weekend facing off against the No. 19 Portland Pilots. Portland, historically one of the best women’s teams, presented a challenge for the Irish as they battled to a 1-1 draw.
Along with Notre Dame and North Carolina, Portland is the only other team to have won multiple national championships, bringing home the title in 2002 and 2005. With that being said, head coach Randy Waldrum seemed happy with the result stating that his team “showed a lot of fight and competed well on the road.”
Portland scored first in the 31st minute after a free kick. The initial free kick was saved, but the Irish failed to clear the ball and the Pilots took full advantage, rocketing a shot into the back of the net. Notre Dame did not take this lying down and answered with a goal of its own less than nine minutes later. In the 39th minute sophomore defender Sammy Scofield scored her second goal of the season, heading the ball into the goal off of a corner kick from freshman forward Anna Maria Gilbertson.
Unfortunately, the Irish could not hold on to this momentum for Sunday’s game against Washington. The Irish fell 3-0 to the Huskies, giving up 2 goals in the first half and another late in the game. As they return home, the focus shifts to conference play as they prepare for their BIG EAST opener against Louisville (Friday, 4 pm ET at Alumni Stadium on ESPNU).
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
- Baseball. Greene Tabbed Auburn Athletic Director
- M. Soccer. Jon Gallagher Selected 14th Overall In 2018 MLS SuperDraft
- Track & Field. Welcome Home: Keys to the Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Keys To The Meets: St. John's and Philadelphia Invitationals
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Rally to 84-70 Victory Over No. 6 Vols
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish On The Road At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame at Clemson - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ICYMI: Sandra Yu was drafted No. 8 overall in the #NWSLDraft by @ThornsFC! ☘️🌹 MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 11 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Congratulations to @NDSoccer's Sandra Yu who was selected 8th overall at the @NWSL draft! Meet @ThornsFC's newest draft… 11 hours ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Sandra Yu became the fourth Irish athlete to be drafted by the @NWSL since 2012. The midfielder was selected No. 8 overall b… 18 hours ago
- That feeling you get when you hear your name called on Draft Day...☘️⚽️ (all rights to MLSSoccer.com) https://t.co/3R8D5y12Ob 10 hours ago
- Notre Dame has now seen 28 players selected in the #MLSSuperDraft since 2004, including 22 players in the first two… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- Hear from Atlanta’s latest draft pick himself! 🎤🎥 twitter.com/mls/status/954… 14 hours ago