Sep 10, 2012, 1:58 PM EDT
It was a tough weekend for the “Baby Irish” as they failed to bring home a win during their west coast swing. Notre Dame began the weekend facing off against the No. 19 Portland Pilots. Portland, historically one of the best women’s teams, presented a challenge for the Irish as they battled to a 1-1 draw.
Along with Notre Dame and North Carolina, Portland is the only other team to have won multiple national championships, bringing home the title in 2002 and 2005. With that being said, head coach Randy Waldrum seemed happy with the result stating that his team “showed a lot of fight and competed well on the road.”
Portland scored first in the 31st minute after a free kick. The initial free kick was saved, but the Irish failed to clear the ball and the Pilots took full advantage, rocketing a shot into the back of the net. Notre Dame did not take this lying down and answered with a goal of its own less than nine minutes later. In the 39th minute sophomore defender Sammy Scofield scored her second goal of the season, heading the ball into the goal off of a corner kick from freshman forward Anna Maria Gilbertson.
Unfortunately, the Irish could not hold on to this momentum for Sunday’s game against Washington. The Irish fell 3-0 to the Huskies, giving up 2 goals in the first half and another late in the game. As they return home, the focus shifts to conference play as they prepare for their BIG EAST opener against Louisville (Friday, 4 pm ET at Alumni Stadium on ESPNU).
About Irish United
- W. Soccer. Irish Set to Battle #4 Duke
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State Preview: Reminisce Then Rally
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Break Competitive Bowling Green Spirit In 2-1 Win
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Golf. NCAA Connection Takes Irish Golfer to Haiti
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans To Captain Irish In 2017-18
- Football. Megaphone On The Line For Irish & Spartans
- W. Soccer. Jacobs Nets ACC Player of the Week Honor
- M. Soccer. #2 Irish And #19 Bowling Green Meet Tuesday At Alumni Stadium
- W. Volleyball. Fry Named ACC Volleyball Player Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🖐🏼 what you're doing... Go follow @LepLegion on Snapchat for the women's soccer takeover! ☘️👻 https://t.co/Z42x0VJMPI 3 hours ago
- Notre Dame returns home after 18 days for top-10 battle against No. 4 @DukeWSOC ☘️ ➡️ PREVIEW: und.com/sports/w-socce… 5 hours ago
- ⚽️ ONE DAY ⚽️ Wear white tomorrow as we face @DukeWSOC at Alumni Stadium! #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/MQ4oWwg0d5 7 hours ago
- Keep your eyes and ears out for Coach Clark and goalkeeper Chris Hubbard later this week on the Jack Swarbrick Show! https://t.co/fqIeV48Xwq 5 hours ago
- X TIC TAC TOE O 📹 Blake Townes to Jack Casey to Jon Gallagher opened the Irish goal account against Bowling Green… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- 📹 HIGHLIGHT MIXTAPE 📹 All of the key moments from Notre Dame's 2-1 Tuesday win against Bowling Green are here! https://t.co/6r7fDg4f3M 1 day ago