Sep 10, 2012, 1:58 PM EDT
It was a tough weekend for the “Baby Irish” as they failed to bring home a win during their west coast swing. Notre Dame began the weekend facing off against the No. 19 Portland Pilots. Portland, historically one of the best women’s teams, presented a challenge for the Irish as they battled to a 1-1 draw.
Along with Notre Dame and North Carolina, Portland is the only other team to have won multiple national championships, bringing home the title in 2002 and 2005. With that being said, head coach Randy Waldrum seemed happy with the result stating that his team “showed a lot of fight and competed well on the road.”
Portland scored first in the 31st minute after a free kick. The initial free kick was saved, but the Irish failed to clear the ball and the Pilots took full advantage, rocketing a shot into the back of the net. Notre Dame did not take this lying down and answered with a goal of its own less than nine minutes later. In the 39th minute sophomore defender Sammy Scofield scored her second goal of the season, heading the ball into the goal off of a corner kick from freshman forward Anna Maria Gilbertson.
Unfortunately, the Irish could not hold on to this momentum for Sunday’s game against Washington. The Irish fell 3-0 to the Huskies, giving up 2 goals in the first half and another late in the game. As they return home, the focus shifts to conference play as they prepare for their BIG EAST opener against Louisville (Friday, 4 pm ET at Alumni Stadium on ESPNU).
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Richter Award Finalist
- Baseball. Register Now: Irish Baseball Summer Camp
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Edged By Michigan, 13-12
- W. Soccer. SCHEDULE CHANGE: Irish to Face Purdue on Friday
- Baseball. Johnson Named Senior CLASS Candidate
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Playoffs Begin For No. 2 Irish
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: 2018 NCAA Championships
- Fencing. Sirico Named ACC Fencer of the Year for Women's Epee
- Baseball. Irish Drop Home Opener to NIU
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🚨SCHEDULE CHANGE 🚨 Notre Dame's spring opener at Purdue has been moved to 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday! ☘️⚽️ ➡️ MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @NotreDame: Happy Saint Patrick's Day! https://t.co/wEeK2ITAFC 5 days ago
- 👀 We see you, Sandra! #NDFamily ☘️ twitter.com/thornsfc/statu… 1 week ago
- Indy Eleven ✔︎ MSU ✔︎ Oakland ✔︎ Valpo ✔︎ Green Bay ✔︎ UK ✔︎ Bethel ✔︎ IU ✔︎ 🇲🇽 ✔︎ Come watch the Irish this sprin… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 weeks ago
- Congratulations to another of our own, 2007 grad and four-year Monogram winner Nate Norman, the new head coach of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
- Rounding out our newcomers is a midfielder from the state of Virginia. Welcome Bryan Silver! 🖋⚽️☘ https://t.co/2tXDjWIWYb 1 month ago