Sep 7, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT
This weekend, the Notre Dame women will be traveling to the West Coast to meet #19 Portland on Friday. The game marks the team’s first trip to the Pacific Northwest since 2005, when the No. 5 Irish lost to the top-ranked Portland Pilots in the NCAA quarterfinals. It was a clash of the titans with ND’s Katie Thorlakson and Kerri Hanks battling Portland’s Megan Rapinoe, who recently helped lead the United States women’s national team to a gold medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
Despite the outcome of this last match-up, Notre Dame holds an overall winning record of 7-4 against Portland, with this being the 12th meeting of the two powerhouse teams. The current Notre Dame squad is a very young, but extremely talented group of women, with the 2012 class of players being ranked first in the nation by Top Drawer Soccer. After beating Santa Clara, 2-1, last week, they hope to pick up another win over a West Coast Conference team on Friday evening.
On Sunday, the Fighting Irish will continue their West Coast trip against Washington, playing at the team’s campus in Seattle, for only the second time since 1997. Notre Dame last encountered the Huskies on the soccer field in 2000, when the Irish won by an overwhelming 5-0 victory. This weekend’s match will be the fifth between the two teams – with Notre Dame leading the series, 4-0.
The Huskies have been receiving votes in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) poll and the “Baby Irish” (as head coach Randy Waldrum calls them) will play hard this weekend, hoping to maintain that undefeated series record.
About Irish United
- W. Basketball. Second Half Spark Surges No. 1 Irish Past No. 9 Villanova, 98-72
- W. Golf. Women's Golf Finishes Fifth At Clover Cup
- M. Golf. Irish Finish in Seventh Place at Schenkel Inv.
- Softball. Irish Score Seven Unanswered To Sweep UL 7-2
- Baseball. Late Rally Falls Short in 7-5 Loss to #7 Florida State
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Falls At Virginia, 6-1
- W. Tennis. Irish Fall To No. 26 Virginia
- W. Rowing. Rowing Finishes Off A Strong First Weekend
- M. Ice Hockey. Replay: Irish Win Second Title -- Now Shoot for a Third
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Earns East Regional Top Seed
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NotreDame: Happy Saint Patrick's Day! https://t.co/wEeK2ITAFC 1 day ago
- 👀 We see you, Sandra! #NDFamily ☘️ twitter.com/thornsfc/statu… 6 days ago
- Happy #NationalWomensDay from this squad! ☘️⚽️ https://t.co/CHn7JvY76d 1 week ago
- Indy Eleven ✔︎ MSU ✔︎ Oakland ✔︎ Valpo ✔︎ Green Bay ✔︎ UK ✔︎ Bethel ✔︎ IU ✔︎ 🇲🇽 ✔︎ Come watch the Irish this sprin… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 weeks ago
- Congratulations to another of our own, 2007 grad and four-year Monogram winner Nate Norman, the new head coach of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 weeks ago
- Rounding out our newcomers is a midfielder from the state of Virginia. Welcome Bryan Silver! 🖋⚽️☘ https://t.co/2tXDjWIWYb 1 month ago