Sep 6, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT
Emotions are running deep as the No. 13 Notre Dame men’s soccer team faces off against Oregon State and fourth-ranked Akron in the 11th annual Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament this weekend.
Standards are set especially high for the Irish, due to the nature of this tournament and the man in which it was named for (Mike Berticelli was head coach of the Irish from 1990-1999).
Within these 10 years, Berticelli became one of the winningest coaches in Notre Dame men’s soccer history with a record of 104-80-19, three NCAA tournament appearances, two conference championships, and the first ever Irish win in the NCAA tournament.
Unfortunately, Berticelli’s career was cut shot when he died tragically of a heart attack at age 48. Berticelli’s death was a huge loss to the Notre Dame family as he was not only an amazing soccer coach, but also a dear friend, father, and husband.
His fun-loving attitude and tenacity helped shape the men’s soccer program and made huge contributions to the way it is today. Our current players and coaching staff continue to honor Berticelli in the best way they know how – by continuing to play the game he loved.
The Irish are off to a great start this season with a record of 3-0-0. Hopefully this winning streak will continue through the tournament, which they have won four times since the event’s inception. Watch both of this weekend’s games live on UND.com.
About Irish United
- W. Basketball. Second Half Spark Surges No. 1 Irish Past No. 9 Villanova, 98-72
- W. Golf. Women's Golf Finishes Fifth At Clover Cup
- M. Golf. Irish Finish in Seventh Place at Schenkel Inv.
- Softball. Irish Score Seven Unanswered To Sweep UL 7-2
- Baseball. Late Rally Falls Short in 7-5 Loss to #7 Florida State
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Falls At Virginia, 6-1
- W. Tennis. Irish Fall To No. 26 Virginia
- W. Rowing. Rowing Finishes Off A Strong First Weekend
- M. Ice Hockey. Replay: Irish Win Second Title -- Now Shoot for a Third
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Earns East Regional Top Seed
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NotreDame: Happy Saint Patrick's Day! https://t.co/wEeK2ITAFC 1 day ago
- 👀 We see you, Sandra! #NDFamily ☘️ twitter.com/thornsfc/statu… 6 days ago
- Happy #NationalWomensDay from this squad! ☘️⚽️ https://t.co/CHn7JvY76d 1 week ago
- Indy Eleven ✔︎ MSU ✔︎ Oakland ✔︎ Valpo ✔︎ Green Bay ✔︎ UK ✔︎ Bethel ✔︎ IU ✔︎ 🇲🇽 ✔︎ Come watch the Irish this sprin… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 weeks ago
- Congratulations to another of our own, 2007 grad and four-year Monogram winner Nate Norman, the new head coach of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 weeks ago
- Rounding out our newcomers is a midfielder from the state of Virginia. Welcome Bryan Silver! 🖋⚽️☘ https://t.co/2tXDjWIWYb 1 month ago