Sep 6, 2012, 6:20 PM EST
Emotions are running deep as the No. 13 Notre Dame men’s soccer team faces off against Oregon State and fourth-ranked Akron in the 11th annual Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament this weekend.
Standards are set especially high for the Irish, due to the nature of this tournament and the man in which it was named for (Mike Berticelli was head coach of the Irish from 1990-1999).
Within these 10 years, Berticelli became one of the winningest coaches in Notre Dame men’s soccer history with a record of 104-80-19, three NCAA tournament appearances, two conference championships, and the first ever Irish win in the NCAA tournament.
Unfortunately, Berticelli’s career was cut shot when he died tragically of a heart attack at age 48. Berticelli’s death was a huge loss to the Notre Dame family as he was not only an amazing soccer coach, but also a dear friend, father, and husband.
His fun-loving attitude and tenacity helped shape the men’s soccer program and made huge contributions to the way it is today. Our current players and coaching staff continue to honor Berticelli in the best way they know how – by continuing to play the game he loved.
The Irish are off to a great start this season with a record of 3-0-0. Hopefully this winning streak will continue through the tournament, which they have won four times since the event’s inception. Watch both of this weekend’s games live on UND.com.
About Irish United
- M. Soccer. Sunday Brunch: The Riley Era-Long Time in the Making
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish Complete ACC Sweep At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Mooney's Career Day Not Enough In Loss At Clemson
- Track & Field. Shead, Irish race to top-three finishes at Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Find Success At St. John's Invitational
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Look to Carry Momentum into Clemson Game Sunday
- M. Ice Hockey. Replay: Irish Hockey Rolls On
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ICYMI: Sandra Yu was drafted No. 8 overall in the #NWSLDraft by @ThornsFC! ☘️🌹 MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Congratulations to @NDSoccer's Sandra Yu who was selected 8th overall at the @NWSL draft! Meet @ThornsFC's newest draft… 1 day ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Sandra Yu became the fourth Irish athlete to be drafted by the @NWSL since 2012. The midfielder was selected No. 8 overall b… 1 day ago
- That feeling you get when you hear your name called on Draft Day...☘️⚽️ (all rights to MLSSoccer.com) https://t.co/3R8D5y12Ob 1 day ago
- Notre Dame has now seen 28 players selected in the #MLSSuperDraft since 2004, including 22 players in the first two… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Hear from Atlanta’s latest draft pick himself! 🎤🎥 twitter.com/mls/status/954… 1 day ago