Sep 6, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT
Emotions are running deep as the No. 13 Notre Dame men’s soccer team faces off against Oregon State and fourth-ranked Akron in the 11th annual Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament this weekend.
Standards are set especially high for the Irish, due to the nature of this tournament and the man in which it was named for (Mike Berticelli was head coach of the Irish from 1990-1999).
Within these 10 years, Berticelli became one of the winningest coaches in Notre Dame men’s soccer history with a record of 104-80-19, three NCAA tournament appearances, two conference championships, and the first ever Irish win in the NCAA tournament.
Unfortunately, Berticelli’s career was cut shot when he died tragically of a heart attack at age 48. Berticelli’s death was a huge loss to the Notre Dame family as he was not only an amazing soccer coach, but also a dear friend, father, and husband.
His fun-loving attitude and tenacity helped shape the men’s soccer program and made huge contributions to the way it is today. Our current players and coaching staff continue to honor Berticelli in the best way they know how – by continuing to play the game he loved.
The Irish are off to a great start this season with a record of 3-0-0. Hopefully this winning streak will continue through the tournament, which they have won four times since the event’s inception. Watch both of this weekend’s games live on UND.com.
About Irish United
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDSoccer: 🗒🖊@kateeoconnorr and @sammifisherr talked to Goshen's Write on Sports camp about their soccer career and role models. Keep a… 6 days ago
- 🗒🖊@kateeoconnorr and @sammifisherr talked to Goshen's Write on Sports camp about their soccer career and role model… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- RT @46Sports: Nice story today by my man @tnoieNDI on @brooke_vandyck skipping her senior year for @PennGirlsSoccer to play for @NDSoccer… 1 week ago
- Great time viewing the game today with all these soccer fans!! twitter.com/mattcashore/st… 3 days ago
- RT @NDAthEquipment: Delivery day ☝🏻 in the 📚 29 pallets ✔️ What will day ✌🏻 bring? 🤔 #TeamUA @UnderArmour https://t.co/SzBfoJ0vKe 1 week ago
- RT @SaintLouisFC: We need to make a quick introduction: We've signed Saint Louis FC Academy U19 forward Jack Lynn on a USL Academy contract… 1 week ago