Sep 6, 2012, 6:20 PM EST
Emotions are running deep as the No. 13 Notre Dame men’s soccer team faces off against Oregon State and fourth-ranked Akron in the 11th annual Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament this weekend.
Standards are set especially high for the Irish, due to the nature of this tournament and the man in which it was named for (Mike Berticelli was head coach of the Irish from 1990-1999).
Within these 10 years, Berticelli became one of the winningest coaches in Notre Dame men’s soccer history with a record of 104-80-19, three NCAA tournament appearances, two conference championships, and the first ever Irish win in the NCAA tournament.
Unfortunately, Berticelli’s career was cut shot when he died tragically of a heart attack at age 48. Berticelli’s death was a huge loss to the Notre Dame family as he was not only an amazing soccer coach, but also a dear friend, father, and husband.
His fun-loving attitude and tenacity helped shape the men’s soccer program and made huge contributions to the way it is today. Our current players and coaching staff continue to honor Berticelli in the best way they know how – by continuing to play the game he loved.
The Irish are off to a great start this season with a record of 3-0-0. Hopefully this winning streak will continue through the tournament, which they have won four times since the event’s inception. Watch both of this weekend’s games live on UND.com.
About Irish United
- M. Basketball. CHAMPS: Irish Shock Wichita State To Win Maui Invitational
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon's Career Night Not Enough Against Syracuse
- Football. Five Favorite Photos of The Week
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos of The Week
- Track & Field. Irish Release 2017-18 Indoor Track and Field Schedule
- Football. Notre Dame-Stanford Preview: Lots on the Line
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Signee Taichi Kho to Compete in UBS Hong Kong Open
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Primed For Weekend Series With #6 Minnesota
- Football. Offensive Line Named Joe Moore Award Semifinalists
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Finalist
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It was great to see Jill Krivacek ('07) back at Notre Dame as a panelist for last night's @espnW Campus Conversatio… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of @ndsoccer and their spirit to battle back in the sweet 16 yesterday. Unfortunately we came up short but not wi… 2 days ago
- Thank you to our senior class that has given us 4+ years of unforgettable laughter, love and hard work. 💚 Notre Da… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- 🏆 Best of luck to Irish alumni Justin Morrow and Brandon Aubrey (Toronto FC vs. Columbus Crew, 8 p.m. ET, Eastern C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- We want to properly recognize and congratulate our senior class and pair of graduate captains for their outstanding… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- Wisconsin wins 1-0 3 days ago