Sep 2, 2012, 7:59 PM EDT
Notre Dame 2 – Clemson 1
Hurricane Isaac finally made it to Bloomington, Ind. for the second games of the IU Classic. Notre Dame kicked off at 11:30 am in what can only be described as a tropical downpour and it kept raining throughout the entire match. Fortunately, the field drained perfectly and apart from the warm rain, the pitch was very playable.
Notre Dame, as on Friday, opened strongly getting eight shots off before Clemson fired one effort. One of these shots came from Kyle Richard who bent a great run behind the Tigers defense. Dillon Powers played a perfect feed and Kyle slipped his shot past the goalkeeper, but it hit the post and, just when the Tigers thought they had been saved by the upright, Alex Priede came flying in and hammered the Irish into the lead.
The game continued in a similar vein in the second half and just when it looked as if the Irish would add to their lead, the Tigers hit a hard cross across the goal which cannoned off Luke Mishu and flew past Pat Wall in the Notre Dame goal. With the score at 1-1, Notre Dame continued to press and in the 43rd minute, a great run by Ryan Finley drew the Clemson defense. Ryan then neatly laid a perfect pass to Dillon Powers who, in turn, guided it neatly into the Clemson net to put Notre Dame up, 2-1 at the half.
The second half again saw the Irish scorn several good opportunities to put the match out of reach but the longer the Tigers stayed in the game the more excited they became about salvaging something out of their afternoon. Their approach saw them becoming more and more direct, and the final 10 minutes saw the Notre Dame back-four have to handle a barrage of long balls. The defense stood firm, with Andrew O’Malley and Grant Van DeCasteele in dominating form, and the game wound down giving Notre Dame their second win of the weekend. All in all a deserved victory with Notre Dame outshooting Clemson by 19-6.
Well, it is a happy Irish bus that is sloshing its way back up Route 31. The team is off to a very solid 3-0-0 start, but another very testing weekend is coming up next weekend at the Berticelli Tournament when Oregon State and Akron come to South Bend. Throw IU into the mix and you can see there is going to be some great soccer on view next weekend at Alumni Stadium.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Slaggert And St. Cyr Win Gold With Team USA U18’s
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish ACC Championship First Round: Pittsburgh
- M. Tennis. Hagar Snares ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- Baseball. Crusaders Venture To The Eck
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Goals! Goals! Goals! See all of the goals we scored this Spring & come to Alumni on Friday to catch us vs. Mexico!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- Thank you to every one who gave and voted for us on #NDday! We ended up 4th in Athletics with 669 votes! Thank you! notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/wome… 6 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: NCAA Champion🏆 3 Olympic Gold Medals🥇🥇🥇 World Cup Champion🏆 ☘️@Shannon Boxx (‘99 ⚽️) is our spring Monogram Jacket Ceremon… 6 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Hey SA's, want to make the most out of your opportunities at ND? Come talk to @NDMenSoccer alum, Grant Van De Casteele Th… 2 hours ago
- A HUGE thank you to everyone who donated and voted for Men's Soccer this past week! We finished second in athletics… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Ever wonder how our 2017 O.S.C.A.R.S hosts are preparing for the show on Thur, May 4th? Cross training of course! 🍀⚽️➡️🏒… 5 hours ago