Sep 2, 2012, 7:59 PM EDT
Notre Dame 2 – Clemson 1
Hurricane Isaac finally made it to Bloomington, Ind. for the second games of the IU Classic. Notre Dame kicked off at 11:30 am in what can only be described as a tropical downpour and it kept raining throughout the entire match. Fortunately, the field drained perfectly and apart from the warm rain, the pitch was very playable.
Notre Dame, as on Friday, opened strongly getting eight shots off before Clemson fired one effort. One of these shots came from Kyle Richard who bent a great run behind the Tigers defense. Dillon Powers played a perfect feed and Kyle slipped his shot past the goalkeeper, but it hit the post and, just when the Tigers thought they had been saved by the upright, Alex Priede came flying in and hammered the Irish into the lead.
The game continued in a similar vein in the second half and just when it looked as if the Irish would add to their lead, the Tigers hit a hard cross across the goal which cannoned off Luke Mishu and flew past Pat Wall in the Notre Dame goal. With the score at 1-1, Notre Dame continued to press and in the 43rd minute, a great run by Ryan Finley drew the Clemson defense. Ryan then neatly laid a perfect pass to Dillon Powers who, in turn, guided it neatly into the Clemson net to put Notre Dame up, 2-1 at the half.
The second half again saw the Irish scorn several good opportunities to put the match out of reach but the longer the Tigers stayed in the game the more excited they became about salvaging something out of their afternoon. Their approach saw them becoming more and more direct, and the final 10 minutes saw the Notre Dame back-four have to handle a barrage of long balls. The defense stood firm, with Andrew O’Malley and Grant Van DeCasteele in dominating form, and the game wound down giving Notre Dame their second win of the weekend. All in all a deserved victory with Notre Dame outshooting Clemson by 19-6.
Well, it is a happy Irish bus that is sloshing its way back up Route 31. The team is off to a very solid 3-0-0 start, but another very testing weekend is coming up next weekend at the Berticelli Tournament when Oregon State and Akron come to South Bend. Throw IU into the mix and you can see there is going to be some great soccer on view next weekend at Alumni Stadium.
About Irish United
- Track & Field. Eleven Named to USTFCCCA All-Academic Team
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Pursuing LEED Silver certification
- W. Soccer. Crowley Inspired by Study Abroad Trip to China
- W. Golf. Women's Golf Reveals 2017-18 Schedule
- Track & Field. Irish Land USTFCCCA All-Academic Team Honor
- M. Soccer. Irish Alums, USMNT Take 2017 Gold Cup
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Excited to welcome campers for our second session of the summer today! Can't wait to get started ☘️⚽️ https://t.co/C4rarcAomM 2 weeks ago
- Wishing everybody a happy and safe 4th of July from all of us here at ND Women's Soccer! 🇺🇸☘️#godcountrynotredame https://t.co/MRtCiI5tE5 3 weeks ago
- RT @NDTIX: Season passes now on sale for @NDMenSoccer/@NDSoccer for as low as $18.75! 20 home games = less than $1/gm! Buy: https://t.co/Yl… 3 weeks ago
- RT @casemorrow: Tage loved @NDMenSoccer camp this past week! https://t.co/7YwUUWQC54 1 week ago
- RT @FourFourTwoUSA: .@NDMenSoccer's Bobby Clark: Shaping minds, not just professionals, at @NotreDame. fft.sm/oZ9jiH https://t.c… 3 weeks ago
- Team Red 🆚 Team Blue tonight for our camp All-Star game! 🇺🇸⚽️ #merica https://t.co/0oETioMRgC 3 weeks ago