Sep 2, 2012, 7:59 PM EDT
Notre Dame 2 – Clemson 1
Hurricane Isaac finally made it to Bloomington, Ind. for the second games of the IU Classic. Notre Dame kicked off at 11:30 am in what can only be described as a tropical downpour and it kept raining throughout the entire match. Fortunately, the field drained perfectly and apart from the warm rain, the pitch was very playable.
Notre Dame, as on Friday, opened strongly getting eight shots off before Clemson fired one effort. One of these shots came from Kyle Richard who bent a great run behind the Tigers defense. Dillon Powers played a perfect feed and Kyle slipped his shot past the goalkeeper, but it hit the post and, just when the Tigers thought they had been saved by the upright, Alex Priede came flying in and hammered the Irish into the lead.
The game continued in a similar vein in the second half and just when it looked as if the Irish would add to their lead, the Tigers hit a hard cross across the goal which cannoned off Luke Mishu and flew past Pat Wall in the Notre Dame goal. With the score at 1-1, Notre Dame continued to press and in the 43rd minute, a great run by Ryan Finley drew the Clemson defense. Ryan then neatly laid a perfect pass to Dillon Powers who, in turn, guided it neatly into the Clemson net to put Notre Dame up, 2-1 at the half.
The second half again saw the Irish scorn several good opportunities to put the match out of reach but the longer the Tigers stayed in the game the more excited they became about salvaging something out of their afternoon. Their approach saw them becoming more and more direct, and the final 10 minutes saw the Notre Dame back-four have to handle a barrage of long balls. The defense stood firm, with Andrew O’Malley and Grant Van DeCasteele in dominating form, and the game wound down giving Notre Dame their second win of the weekend. All in all a deserved victory with Notre Dame outshooting Clemson by 19-6.
Well, it is a happy Irish bus that is sloshing its way back up Route 31. The team is off to a very solid 3-0-0 start, but another very testing weekend is coming up next weekend at the Berticelli Tournament when Oregon State and Akron come to South Bend. Throw IU into the mix and you can see there is going to be some great soccer on view next weekend at Alumni Stadium.
About Irish United
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Photos #5 - ACC CHAMPS! @NDSoccer took down Miami 2-0 at home for its 1st regular-season ACC… 1 day ago
- RT @DawnSiergiej: One of the coolest 🌈 I've ever seen. Take it as good luck while recruiting future Irish. ☘️☘️☘️ https://t.co/KSIjs43SkH 1 day ago
- RT @FIFAWWC: 9⃣0⃣mins. ✅ 5⃣7⃣2⃣9⃣metres. ✅ 🏔️👩⚽️Mount Kilimanjaro. ✅ What an amazing achievement @EPFinitiative. 📸 facebook.com/pg/fifawomensw… h… 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇺🇸FOR THE RED, WHITE & BLUE TWO @NDMenSoccer alums to play for US Men's National Team in 2017 Gold Cup. 👀@ussoccer htt… 21 hours ago
- Congratulations to ND soccer alums @MattBesler & @justmorrow for being named to the 23-man @ussoccer 2017 Gold Cup… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Our 2017 gauntlet has been released! Get your season tickets now! 🎟️ ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomme… https://t.co/l1LRVAX3o7 6 days ago