Sep 2, 2012, 7:59 PM EDT
Notre Dame 2 – Clemson 1
Hurricane Isaac finally made it to Bloomington, Ind. for the second games of the IU Classic. Notre Dame kicked off at 11:30 am in what can only be described as a tropical downpour and it kept raining throughout the entire match. Fortunately, the field drained perfectly and apart from the warm rain, the pitch was very playable.
Notre Dame, as on Friday, opened strongly getting eight shots off before Clemson fired one effort. One of these shots came from Kyle Richard who bent a great run behind the Tigers defense. Dillon Powers played a perfect feed and Kyle slipped his shot past the goalkeeper, but it hit the post and, just when the Tigers thought they had been saved by the upright, Alex Priede came flying in and hammered the Irish into the lead.
The game continued in a similar vein in the second half and just when it looked as if the Irish would add to their lead, the Tigers hit a hard cross across the goal which cannoned off Luke Mishu and flew past Pat Wall in the Notre Dame goal. With the score at 1-1, Notre Dame continued to press and in the 43rd minute, a great run by Ryan Finley drew the Clemson defense. Ryan then neatly laid a perfect pass to Dillon Powers who, in turn, guided it neatly into the Clemson net to put Notre Dame up, 2-1 at the half.
The second half again saw the Irish scorn several good opportunities to put the match out of reach but the longer the Tigers stayed in the game the more excited they became about salvaging something out of their afternoon. Their approach saw them becoming more and more direct, and the final 10 minutes saw the Notre Dame back-four have to handle a barrage of long balls. The defense stood firm, with Andrew O’Malley and Grant Van DeCasteele in dominating form, and the game wound down giving Notre Dame their second win of the weekend. All in all a deserved victory with Notre Dame outshooting Clemson by 19-6.
Well, it is a happy Irish bus that is sloshing its way back up Route 31. The team is off to a very solid 3-0-0 start, but another very testing weekend is coming up next weekend at the Berticelli Tournament when Oregon State and Akron come to South Bend. Throw IU into the mix and you can see there is going to be some great soccer on view next weekend at Alumni Stadium.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans To Captain Irish In 2017-18
- Football. Megaphone On The Line For Irish & Spartans
- W. Soccer. Jacobs Nets ACC Player of the Week Honor
- M. Soccer. #2 Irish And #19 Bowling Green Meet Tuesday At Alumni Stadium
- W. Volleyball. Fry Named ACC Volleyball Player Of The Week
- M. Soccer. Dumas Named ACC Defensive Player Of The Week
- W. Soccer. Women’s Soccer to Host One-Day Camp
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Men's Lacrosse Unveils
- Monogram Club. Condoleezza Rice ’75 Receives Honorary Monogram
- Football. Notre Dame-Boston College: What the Irish Learned
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 💥 PLAYER OF THE WEEK! 💥 Natalie Jacobs is the @ACCWSoccer Offensive Player of the Week! ☘️⚽️ MORE:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Have 60 seconds? Then see the @NDSportsBlogger review the weekend in ND sports with highlights from @NDMenSoccer, @NDVo… 18 hours ago
- ⚽️ WHITE OUT ⚽️ Help us white out Alumni Stadium on Thursday at 7 p.m. as we take on No. 4 @DukeWSOC! ☘️ TICKETS:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 22 hours ago
- ⚽️ GAME DAY VS BOWLING GREEN! ⚽️ 🕖 7:00 PM 📺 espn.com/watch/_/id/313… 📖 GAME NOTES: und.com/sports/m-socce… https://t.co/qfv06B5ASa 4 hours ago
- 🏆 ACC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK Congratulations to junior defender Felicien Dumas! 📖 STORY:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 22 hours ago
- 🇺🇸 MILITARY APPRECIATION NIGHT Tuesday vs. BG is Military Appreciation Night, free admission for vets. Also,… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago