Aug 31, 2012, 11:54 PM EDT
Notre Dame 3 – San Diego State 2
It was a very hot, muggy afternoon as Notre Dame and San Diego State kicked off as the curtain raiser for the IU Classic in Bloomington, IN. The game started brightly for Notre Dame as they had fired 6 shots off before San Diego managed to trouble Will Walsh in the Irish goal. This said, it was not surprise when Harry Shipp latched onto an interception, weaved his way through a couple of defenders before placing the ball firmly past Hylen in the Aztec goal. This should have been the sign for added pressure and more goals, but the Irish lost their grip and San Diego clawed their way back into the match with a well taken header in the 38th minute.
The game was level at the half and Notre Dame seemed more assertive in the second period with two beautiful Ryan Finley goals, one in the 62nd minute and the other in the 82nd minute. Both goals were nice efforts and it must be mentioned that Harry Shipp, as against Duke the previous week, was the provider with two excellent feeds. Shipp and Finley are turning into quite a lethal combination. I would also add that on Ryan’s first goal Max Lachowecki could easily have played the ball over the goal line for his first ever ND goal but, being the team player he is, and knowing that Ryan had done the spade work and knowing the ball was headed for the net, he just shielded the ball and let Ryan take the goal – Max is a real team player!
At 3-1 and only seven minutes remaining, it looked as though the games was over but the Irish never let their fans rest easily and conceded a second goal in the 85th minute. It was almost a carbon copy of the Aztecs’ first goal – a nice cross played into the middle of the goal and a strong header past Will Walsh in the Notre Dame goal. It made for a nervous ending but the game was seen out making Notre Dame 2-0–0 on the season and San Diego State 0-1-0.
Next up is Clemson on Sunday. They lost 3-0 to Indiana in the second game of the night and although the score does not look good, I thought they were a very solid side and unlucky to lose by such a large margin. It will be a good game and we will need to be at our best to get a win.
About Irish United
- Baseball. Vierling Nabs All-ACC Nod
- Football. Sam Mustipher Named To Rimington Trophy Watch List
- Softball. Cal Steals 5-3 Decision From Irish
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Denver Roars Past Irish
- Baseball. ACC Baseball Championship Next Stop For Irish
- Softball. Irish Topple ETSU In Extras, 7-6
- General News. Sunday Brunch: Kiefer Best of the Best
- Baseball. Postseason Bound Irish Fall In Finale
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Fall To Denver In NCAA Championship Quarterfinals
- Baseball. Irish Drop A Wild One To Eagles
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of these ACC champs! Extraordinary people who have accomplished so much already and are just beginning their next… 1 day ago
- Congratulations to our seniors on graduating today!! We are SO proud of you && cannot wait to see what you do next!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @flrmonica5: Irish ☘️ https://t.co/9Zw6gF5AjZ 1 day ago
- Good luck to all our guys during finals week! #finishstrong https://t.co/psRitXdiGw 2 weeks ago
- RT @NDMonogram: National Champions🏆 Team Captains☘️ Dean’s List Students📚 Med School Bound🎓 Congratulations Eva Niklinska 🤺 & Evan Panke… 2 weeks ago
- RT @gamedayND: A break in the weather, just in time for #Friday! Have a great weekend. ☘️😎🌤️🌷 https://t.co/JluRexvDzJ 2 weeks ago