Aug 31, 2012, 11:54 PM EST
Notre Dame 3 – San Diego State 2
It was a very hot, muggy afternoon as Notre Dame and San Diego State kicked off as the curtain raiser for the IU Classic in Bloomington, IN. The game started brightly for Notre Dame as they had fired 6 shots off before San Diego managed to trouble Will Walsh in the Irish goal. This said, it was not surprise when Harry Shipp latched onto an interception, weaved his way through a couple of defenders before placing the ball firmly past Hylen in the Aztec goal. This should have been the sign for added pressure and more goals, but the Irish lost their grip and San Diego clawed their way back into the match with a well taken header in the 38th minute.
The game was level at the half and Notre Dame seemed more assertive in the second period with two beautiful Ryan Finley goals, one in the 62nd minute and the other in the 82nd minute. Both goals were nice efforts and it must be mentioned that Harry Shipp, as against Duke the previous week, was the provider with two excellent feeds. Shipp and Finley are turning into quite a lethal combination. I would also add that on Ryan’s first goal Max Lachowecki could easily have played the ball over the goal line for his first ever ND goal but, being the team player he is, and knowing that Ryan had done the spade work and knowing the ball was headed for the net, he just shielded the ball and let Ryan take the goal – Max is a real team player!
At 3-1 and only seven minutes remaining, it looked as though the games was over but the Irish never let their fans rest easily and conceded a second goal in the 85th minute. It was almost a carbon copy of the Aztecs’ first goal – a nice cross played into the middle of the goal and a strong header past Will Walsh in the Notre Dame goal. It made for a nervous ending but the game was seen out making Notre Dame 2-0–0 on the season and San Diego State 0-1-0.
Next up is Clemson on Sunday. They lost 3-0 to Indiana in the second game of the night and although the score does not look good, I thought they were a very solid side and unlucky to lose by such a large margin. It will be a good game and we will need to be at our best to get a win.
About Irish United
- M. Soccer. Sunday Brunch: The Riley Era-Long Time in the Making
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish Complete ACC Sweep At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Mooney's Career Day Not Enough In Loss At Clemson
- Track & Field. Shead, Irish race to top-three finishes at Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Find Success At St. John's Invitational
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Look to Carry Momentum into Clemson Game Sunday
- M. Ice Hockey. Replay: Irish Hockey Rolls On
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ICYMI: Sandra Yu was drafted No. 8 overall in the #NWSLDraft by @ThornsFC! ☘️🌹 MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Congratulations to @NDSoccer's Sandra Yu who was selected 8th overall at the @NWSL draft! Meet @ThornsFC's newest draft… 1 day ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Sandra Yu became the fourth Irish athlete to be drafted by the @NWSL since 2012. The midfielder was selected No. 8 overall b… 1 day ago
- That feeling you get when you hear your name called on Draft Day...☘️⚽️ (all rights to MLSSoccer.com) https://t.co/3R8D5y12Ob 1 day ago
- Notre Dame has now seen 28 players selected in the #MLSSuperDraft since 2004, including 22 players in the first two… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Hear from Atlanta’s latest draft pick himself! 🎤🎥 twitter.com/mls/status/954… 1 day ago