Aug 25, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT
Notre Dame 1 – Duke 0
Beautiful evening, big crowd and an even bigger result! There must have been close to 3,000 fans in Alumni Stadium. The stands were full and the fans were spread over the grass mounds and students were singing and chanting behind the goals. James Belshaw in the Duke goal hails from England and was being constantly bombarded with the Stars and Stripes. It was just a great atmosphere.
Having said that, the first half was a cagey affair with both teams probing, although it would be fair to say that Notre Dame looked more likely to get on the scoreboard. The second half was a completely different situation. Right from the kick-off, Notre Dame took control, even though it took until the 76th minute before Notre Dame got the break through. The second half was pretty much total domination, with the Irish outshooting the Blue Devils by 12 – 1 in this period, with Belshaw, in the Duke goal, having 7 saves in total with Will Walsh, in the Irish goal, not having a save registered.
The all-important goal was scored after some really creative passing in the penalty box by Dillon Powers and Harry Shipp with the final shot coming from Ryan Finley. I am sure this was a very special goal for Ryan, as he played his first two years of college soccer for Duke before transferring to Notre Dame.
Well, a very good start, but now we must follow it up, when we head to Bloomington, Ind. and play in the IU Classic where we will take on San Diego State and Clemson on a Friday/Sunday schedule.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Richter Award Finalist
- Baseball. Register Now: Irish Baseball Summer Camp
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Edged By Michigan, 13-12
- W. Soccer. SCHEDULE CHANGE: Irish to Face Purdue on Friday
- Baseball. Johnson Named Senior CLASS Candidate
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Playoffs Begin For No. 2 Irish
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: 2018 NCAA Championships
- Fencing. Sirico Named ACC Fencer of the Year for Women's Epee
- Baseball. Irish Drop Home Opener to NIU
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🚨SCHEDULE CHANGE 🚨 Notre Dame's spring opener at Purdue has been moved to 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday! ☘️⚽️ ➡️ MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @NotreDame: Happy Saint Patrick's Day! https://t.co/wEeK2ITAFC 5 days ago
- 👀 We see you, Sandra! #NDFamily ☘️ twitter.com/thornsfc/statu… 1 week ago
- Indy Eleven ✔︎ MSU ✔︎ Oakland ✔︎ Valpo ✔︎ Green Bay ✔︎ UK ✔︎ Bethel ✔︎ IU ✔︎ 🇲🇽 ✔︎ Come watch the Irish this sprin… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 weeks ago
- Congratulations to another of our own, 2007 grad and four-year Monogram winner Nate Norman, the new head coach of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
- Rounding out our newcomers is a midfielder from the state of Virginia. Welcome Bryan Silver! 🖋⚽️☘ https://t.co/2tXDjWIWYb 1 month ago