Aug 13, 2012, 10:09 AM EDT
In the latest post on Irish United, men’s head coach Bobby Clark makes his blog debut, sharing his thoughts on this weekend’s preseason games against Northern Illinois.
Game 1: NIU 0 – ND 2
Game 2: NIU 0 – ND 3
The first two of our four preseason games got underway up in DeKalb, IL when the Irish played a double header with the Huskies from NIU. The first match was a 60-minute affair which featured all of the new freshmen mixed in with some of the more experienced upperclassmen. This is a great opportunity for the new guys on the block to show what they have, and all 6 frosh came through their first test at Notre Dame with passing marks. Possibly the top of the class was Patrick Hodan, as he notched both goals, but he would be the first to say that Alex Priede, his forward partner, was a huge piece of his success. Alex set up his goals and hit the woodwork on three separate occasions.
The second match was the big picture, as both teams put their star billing on display. Again, the Irish took home all the Oscars, with Ryan Finley getting two very well-taken goals in the first period. Dillon Powers must also get high credit ratings as he slipped Finley through on both occasions with two glorious passes. The third goal did not happen until the 89th minute when Robbie Gallegos put a beautiful pass inside the Huskies’ left back and Michael Rose ran onto it and slammed home an angled drive from about 15 yards. A beautiful goal to finish off an excellent afternoon.
All in all a great day for the Irish and hopefully we can sharpen up a few more pieces before we meet Chivas Guadalajara U21s on Thursday in Fort Wayne. Chivas has possibly the best youth program in Mexico, so this will be a great test for the Notre Dame team.
About Irish United
- Fencing. Irish Remain On Top Of NCAA Championship Leaderboard
- M. Lacrosse. Irish And Buckeyes Ready For Top-Five Matchup On Saturday
- Baseball. Irish & Noles To Play Two Friday
- Baseball. Irish Host Florida State For Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. 200 Free Relay Earn All- American Honors in Second Day of Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- Softball. Irish Welcome Virginia Tech For Key ACC Series
- Fencing. Irish Surge Into First Place On Day One At NCAA Championship
- Fencing. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Columbia Top Standings After Day 1 of NCAA Championships
- Football. DeShone Kizer: Another Day, Another Impression
- Track. Keys To The Meet: Raleigh Relays
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- What a beautiful day for some soccer! Excited to kick off our Spring season tonight vs. Purdue! ☀️⚽️☘️ https://t.co/Vwa2PTCHXt 5 hours ago
- SCHEDULE CHANGE! Our first spring game vs. Purdue has been moved to Friday @ 7:30pm! We will play on LaBar Practice… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Good Luck to Sandra Yu as she heads to Portland for camp with the US U-23s! und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @NDSoccer: What a beautiful day for some soccer! Excited to kick off our Spring season tonight vs. Purdue! ☀️⚽️☘️ https://t.co/Vwa2PTCHXt 3 hours ago
- Irish fans, get your tickets now to watch us play this Saturday in the 2017 College Challenge in Pontiac, MI! 🎟️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
- Rounding out St. Patty's Day and spring break with a fantastic dinner at @JamesJoycePubMD! Thanks for having us!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago