Aug 13, 2012, 10:09 AM EST
In the latest post on Irish United, men’s head coach Bobby Clark makes his blog debut, sharing his thoughts on this weekend’s preseason games against Northern Illinois.
Game 1: NIU 0 – ND 2
Game 2: NIU 0 – ND 3
The first two of our four preseason games got underway up in DeKalb, IL when the Irish played a double header with the Huskies from NIU. The first match was a 60-minute affair which featured all of the new freshmen mixed in with some of the more experienced upperclassmen. This is a great opportunity for the new guys on the block to show what they have, and all 6 frosh came through their first test at Notre Dame with passing marks. Possibly the top of the class was Patrick Hodan, as he notched both goals, but he would be the first to say that Alex Priede, his forward partner, was a huge piece of his success. Alex set up his goals and hit the woodwork on three separate occasions.
The second match was the big picture, as both teams put their star billing on display. Again, the Irish took home all the Oscars, with Ryan Finley getting two very well-taken goals in the first period. Dillon Powers must also get high credit ratings as he slipped Finley through on both occasions with two glorious passes. The third goal did not happen until the 89th minute when Robbie Gallegos put a beautiful pass inside the Huskies’ left back and Michael Rose ran onto it and slammed home an angled drive from about 15 yards. A beautiful goal to finish off an excellent afternoon.
All in all a great day for the Irish and hopefully we can sharpen up a few more pieces before we meet Chivas Guadalajara U21s on Thursday in Fort Wayne. Chivas has possibly the best youth program in Mexico, so this will be a great test for the Notre Dame team.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
- Baseball. Greene Tabbed Auburn Athletic Director
- M. Soccer. Jon Gallagher Selected 14th Overall In 2018 MLS SuperDraft
- Track & Field. Welcome Home: Keys to the Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Keys To The Meets: St. John's and Philadelphia Invitationals
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Rally to 84-70 Victory Over No. 6 Vols
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish On The Road At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame at Clemson - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ICYMI: Sandra Yu was drafted No. 8 overall in the #NWSLDraft by @ThornsFC! ☘️🌹 MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 11 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Congratulations to @NDSoccer's Sandra Yu who was selected 8th overall at the @NWSL draft! Meet @ThornsFC's newest draft… 11 hours ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Sandra Yu became the fourth Irish athlete to be drafted by the @NWSL since 2012. The midfielder was selected No. 8 overall b… 18 hours ago
- That feeling you get when you hear your name called on Draft Day...☘️⚽️ (all rights to MLSSoccer.com) https://t.co/3R8D5y12Ob 9 hours ago
- Notre Dame has now seen 28 players selected in the #MLSSuperDraft since 2004, including 22 players in the first two… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- Hear from Atlanta’s latest draft pick himself! 🎤🎥 twitter.com/mls/status/954… 14 hours ago