Aug 13, 2012, 10:09 AM EDT
In the latest post on Irish United, men’s head coach Bobby Clark makes his blog debut, sharing his thoughts on this weekend’s preseason games against Northern Illinois.
Game 1: NIU 0 – ND 2
Game 2: NIU 0 – ND 3
The first two of our four preseason games got underway up in DeKalb, IL when the Irish played a double header with the Huskies from NIU. The first match was a 60-minute affair which featured all of the new freshmen mixed in with some of the more experienced upperclassmen. This is a great opportunity for the new guys on the block to show what they have, and all 6 frosh came through their first test at Notre Dame with passing marks. Possibly the top of the class was Patrick Hodan, as he notched both goals, but he would be the first to say that Alex Priede, his forward partner, was a huge piece of his success. Alex set up his goals and hit the woodwork on three separate occasions.
The second match was the big picture, as both teams put their star billing on display. Again, the Irish took home all the Oscars, with Ryan Finley getting two very well-taken goals in the first period. Dillon Powers must also get high credit ratings as he slipped Finley through on both occasions with two glorious passes. The third goal did not happen until the 89th minute when Robbie Gallegos put a beautiful pass inside the Huskies’ left back and Michael Rose ran onto it and slammed home an angled drive from about 15 yards. A beautiful goal to finish off an excellent afternoon.
All in all a great day for the Irish and hopefully we can sharpen up a few more pieces before we meet Chivas Guadalajara U21s on Thursday in Fort Wayne. Chivas has possibly the best youth program in Mexico, so this will be a great test for the Notre Dame team.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Slaggert And St. Cyr Win Gold With Team USA U18’s
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish ACC Championship First Round: Pittsburgh
- M. Tennis. Hagar Snares ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- Baseball. Crusaders Venture To The Eck
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Goals! Goals! Goals! See all of the goals we scored this Spring & come to Alumni on Friday to catch us vs. Mexico!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- Thank you to every one who gave and voted for us on #NDday! We ended up 4th in Athletics with 669 votes! Thank you! notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/wome… 6 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: NCAA Champion🏆 3 Olympic Gold Medals🥇🥇🥇 World Cup Champion🏆 ☘️@Shannon Boxx (‘99 ⚽️) is our spring Monogram Jacket Ceremon… 6 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Hey SA's, want to make the most out of your opportunities at ND? Come talk to @NDMenSoccer alum, Grant Van De Casteele Th… 3 hours ago
- A HUGE thank you to everyone who donated and voted for Men's Soccer this past week! We finished second in athletics… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Ever wonder how our 2017 O.S.C.A.R.S hosts are preparing for the show on Thur, May 4th? Cross training of course! 🍀⚽️➡️🏒… 5 hours ago