Aug 9, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
What an incredible day for Notre Dame soccer.
Not only did a trio of Irish alumnae earn Olympic medals, but all three played in today’s matches, including two who returned from injuries after missing the previous four games.
In the bronze medal match, Melissa Tancredi (’04) and Candace Chapman (’05) helped Canada to a 1-0 win over France, giving the country its first Olympic medal in a traditional team sport since 1936.
Diana Matheson netted the lone goal in extra time, a thrilling finish to the game at City of Coventry Stadium.
Tancredi played 77 minutes, and Chapman, competing for the first time since the opening game against Japan, entered in the 83rd minute.
After the game, both shared their joy on Twitter.
10+yrs, 100+ games, countless hours of practice, team become family,heartbreak becomes motivation, belief becomes an olympic bronze.
— Candace Chapman (@chappie95) August 9, 2012
I am so honoured 2 be part of such an incredible team. What a journey, what an ending…thrilled 2 bring home a medal 4 CANADA! ❤ this fam!
— Melissa Tancredi (@MelTancredi14) August 9, 2012
In the gold medal game, it was redemption for the United States. After a heartbreaking loss in last year’s World Cup final, the American squad bested Japan, 2-1, in front of 80,203 at Wembley Stadium, a record crowd for women’s Olympic soccer.
Carli Lloyd scored both goals, in the 8th and 54th minutes.
Shannon Boxx (’99) returned to the lineup for the first time since being injured against France, and played all 90 minutes.
With the win, Boxx becomes the first three-time Olympic gold medalist in Notre Dame history. The California native was also a member of the U.S. team that won gold in Athens (2004) and Beijing (2008).
I can’t even put into words how much I love this team. The gold medal is beautiful. Thank you everyone for all your support.
— Shannon Boxx (@ShannonBoxx7) August 9, 2012
About Irish United
- Track & Field. Eleven Named to USTFCCCA All-Academic Team
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Pursuing LEED Silver certification
- W. Soccer. Crowley Inspired by Study Abroad Trip to China
- W. Golf. Women's Golf Reveals 2017-18 Schedule
- Track & Field. Irish Land USTFCCCA All-Academic Team Honor
- M. Soccer. Irish Alums, USMNT Take 2017 Gold Cup
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Excited to welcome campers for our second session of the summer today! Can't wait to get started ☘️⚽️ https://t.co/C4rarcAomM 2 weeks ago
- Wishing everybody a happy and safe 4th of July from all of us here at ND Women's Soccer! 🇺🇸☘️#godcountrynotredame https://t.co/MRtCiI5tE5 3 weeks ago
- RT @NDTIX: Season passes now on sale for @NDMenSoccer/@NDSoccer for as low as $18.75! 20 home games = less than $1/gm! Buy: https://t.co/Yl… 3 weeks ago
- RT @casemorrow: Tage loved @NDMenSoccer camp this past week! https://t.co/7YwUUWQC54 1 week ago
- RT @FourFourTwoUSA: .@NDMenSoccer's Bobby Clark: Shaping minds, not just professionals, at @NotreDame. fft.sm/oZ9jiH https://t.c… 3 weeks ago
- Team Red 🆚 Team Blue tonight for our camp All-Star game! 🇺🇸⚽️ #merica https://t.co/0oETioMRgC 3 weeks ago