Jul 31, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
The chase for Olympic glory continued on the pitch today, as Canada and the United States each moved one step closer to the medal podium.
After falling behind 2-0 in the first half, forward Melissa Tancredi (’04) scored goals in the 43rd and 84th minute to lead Canada to a 2-2 draw with Sweden. Tancredi’s squad finished third (four points) in Group F and secured a spot in the quarterfinals.
With four goals in three games, the former Irish tri-captain is the leading scorer at the London Games.
She and fellow Notre Dame graduate Candace Chapman (’05) will take on Great Britain at 2:30 pm ET on Friday, Aug. 3. The game will be televised live on the NBC Sports Network.
You can watch a full replay of the game on NBCOlympics.com. Skip ahead to approximately 42:10 and 1:38:40 in the video to see Tancredi’s goals.
While the United States had already earned a spot in the quarterfinals, today’s 1-0 victory over North Korea clinched an outright win in Group G. The lone goal came in the 25th minute, when Abby Wambach scored on an assist from Alex Morgan (Skip ahead to 24:20 in this video).
Still bothered by a hamstring injury, Shannon Boxx (’99) did not play, but could return when team U.S.A. faces New Zealand in the quarterfinals on Friday at 9:30 am ET (live on NBC Sports Network).
For those on Twitter, remember to follow Boxx (@ShannonBoxx7), Tancredi (@MelTancredi14) and Chapman (@chappie95) for more updates from London. Sports information director Chris Masters (@NDsoccernews) will also continue to provide great coverage of the Irish competing in the 2012 Olympics.
Go U.S.A., Go Canada, Go Irish.
About Irish United
- Fencing. Irish Remain On Top Of NCAA Championship Leaderboard
- M. Lacrosse. Irish And Buckeyes Ready For Top-Five Matchup On Saturday
- Baseball. Irish & Noles To Play Two Friday
- Baseball. Irish Host Florida State For Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. 200 Free Relay Earn All- American Honors in Second Day of Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- Softball. Irish Welcome Virginia Tech For Key ACC Series
- Fencing. Irish Surge Into First Place On Day One At NCAA Championship
- Fencing. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Columbia Top Standings After Day 1 of NCAA Championships
- Football. DeShone Kizer: Another Day, Another Impression
- Track. Keys To The Meet: Raleigh Relays
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- What a beautiful day for some soccer! Excited to kick off our Spring season tonight vs. Purdue! ☀️⚽️☘️ https://t.co/Vwa2PTCHXt 5 hours ago
- SCHEDULE CHANGE! Our first spring game vs. Purdue has been moved to Friday @ 7:30pm! We will play on LaBar Practice… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Good Luck to Sandra Yu as she heads to Portland for camp with the US U-23s! und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @NDSoccer: What a beautiful day for some soccer! Excited to kick off our Spring season tonight vs. Purdue! ☀️⚽️☘️ https://t.co/Vwa2PTCHXt 3 hours ago
- Irish fans, get your tickets now to watch us play this Saturday in the 2017 College Challenge in Pontiac, MI! 🎟️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
- Rounding out St. Patty's Day and spring break with a fantastic dinner at @JamesJoycePubMD! Thanks for having us!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago