Jul 31, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
The chase for Olympic glory continued on the pitch today, as Canada and the United States each moved one step closer to the medal podium.
After falling behind 2-0 in the first half, forward Melissa Tancredi (’04) scored goals in the 43rd and 84th minute to lead Canada to a 2-2 draw with Sweden. Tancredi’s squad finished third (four points) in Group F and secured a spot in the quarterfinals.
With four goals in three games, the former Irish tri-captain is the leading scorer at the London Games.
She and fellow Notre Dame graduate Candace Chapman (’05) will take on Great Britain at 2:30 pm ET on Friday, Aug. 3. The game will be televised live on the NBC Sports Network.
You can watch a full replay of the game on NBCOlympics.com. Skip ahead to approximately 42:10 and 1:38:40 in the video to see Tancredi’s goals.
While the United States had already earned a spot in the quarterfinals, today’s 1-0 victory over North Korea clinched an outright win in Group G. The lone goal came in the 25th minute, when Abby Wambach scored on an assist from Alex Morgan (Skip ahead to 24:20 in this video).
Still bothered by a hamstring injury, Shannon Boxx (’99) did not play, but could return when team U.S.A. faces New Zealand in the quarterfinals on Friday at 9:30 am ET (live on NBC Sports Network).
For those on Twitter, remember to follow Boxx (@ShannonBoxx7), Tancredi (@MelTancredi14) and Chapman (@chappie95) for more updates from London. Sports information director Chris Masters (@NDsoccernews) will also continue to provide great coverage of the Irish competing in the 2012 Olympics.
Go U.S.A., Go Canada, Go Irish.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Slaggert And St. Cyr Win Gold With Team USA U18’s
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish ACC Championship First Round: Pittsburgh
- M. Tennis. Hagar Snares ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- Baseball. Crusaders Venture To The Eck
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Goals! Goals! Goals! See all of the goals we scored this Spring & come to Alumni on Friday to catch us vs. Mexico!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- Thank you to every one who gave and voted for us on #NDday! We ended up 4th in Athletics with 669 votes! Thank you! notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/wome… 6 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: NCAA Champion🏆 3 Olympic Gold Medals🥇🥇🥇 World Cup Champion🏆 ☘️@Shannon Boxx (‘99 ⚽️) is our spring Monogram Jacket Ceremon… 6 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Hey SA's, want to make the most out of your opportunities at ND? Come talk to @NDMenSoccer alum, Grant Van De Casteele Th… 2 hours ago
- A HUGE thank you to everyone who donated and voted for Men's Soccer this past week! We finished second in athletics… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Ever wonder how our 2017 O.S.C.A.R.S hosts are preparing for the show on Thur, May 4th? Cross training of course! 🍀⚽️➡️🏒… 5 hours ago