Jul 31, 2012, 6:02 PM EST
The chase for Olympic glory continued on the pitch today, as Canada and the United States each moved one step closer to the medal podium.
After falling behind 2-0 in the first half, forward Melissa Tancredi (’04) scored goals in the 43rd and 84th minute to lead Canada to a 2-2 draw with Sweden. Tancredi’s squad finished third (four points) in Group F and secured a spot in the quarterfinals.
With four goals in three games, the former Irish tri-captain is the leading scorer at the London Games.
She and fellow Notre Dame graduate Candace Chapman (’05) will take on Great Britain at 2:30 pm ET on Friday, Aug. 3. The game will be televised live on the NBC Sports Network.
You can watch a full replay of the game on NBCOlympics.com. Skip ahead to approximately 42:10 and 1:38:40 in the video to see Tancredi’s goals.
While the United States had already earned a spot in the quarterfinals, today’s 1-0 victory over North Korea clinched an outright win in Group G. The lone goal came in the 25th minute, when Abby Wambach scored on an assist from Alex Morgan (Skip ahead to 24:20 in this video).
Still bothered by a hamstring injury, Shannon Boxx (’99) did not play, but could return when team U.S.A. faces New Zealand in the quarterfinals on Friday at 9:30 am ET (live on NBC Sports Network).
For those on Twitter, remember to follow Boxx (@ShannonBoxx7), Tancredi (@MelTancredi14) and Chapman (@chappie95) for more updates from London. Sports information director Chris Masters (@NDsoccernews) will also continue to provide great coverage of the Irish competing in the 2012 Olympics.
Go U.S.A., Go Canada, Go Irish.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
- Baseball. Greene Tabbed Auburn Athletic Director
- M. Soccer. Jon Gallagher Selected 14th Overall In 2018 MLS SuperDraft
- Track & Field. Welcome Home: Keys to the Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Keys To The Meets: St. John's and Philadelphia Invitationals
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Rally to 84-70 Victory Over No. 6 Vols
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish On The Road At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame at Clemson - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ICYMI: Sandra Yu was drafted No. 8 overall in the #NWSLDraft by @ThornsFC! ☘️🌹 MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 11 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Congratulations to @NDSoccer's Sandra Yu who was selected 8th overall at the @NWSL draft! Meet @ThornsFC's newest draft… 11 hours ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Sandra Yu became the fourth Irish athlete to be drafted by the @NWSL since 2012. The midfielder was selected No. 8 overall b… 18 hours ago
- That feeling you get when you hear your name called on Draft Day...☘️⚽️ (all rights to MLSSoccer.com) https://t.co/3R8D5y12Ob 10 hours ago
- Notre Dame has now seen 28 players selected in the #MLSSuperDraft since 2004, including 22 players in the first two… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- Hear from Atlanta’s latest draft pick himself! 🎤🎥 twitter.com/mls/status/954… 14 hours ago