Jul 30, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
The 2012 Summer Olympics officially began on Friday, July 27, but the action on the pitch actually kicked off on Wednesday for three former Irish women’s soccer players.
Shannon Boxx (’99) and Team U.S.A. fell behind early in their opening round game against France, but rallied for a 4-2 win, thanks in part to a pair of goals by Alex Morgan. Unfortunately, Boxx, a two-time gold medalist, suffered a hamstring injury and missed Saturday’s game versus Colombia. The United States, however, won 3-0 and clinched a spot in the quarterfinals. The USWNT will conclude group play tomorrow (7/31) against North Korea at 12:15 pm ET.
Melissa Tancredi (’04) and Candace Chapman (’05) also began Olympic play for Canada on Wednesday. The Canadian team dropped a 2-1 opener to Japan, but rebounded with a 3-0 win over South Africa on Saturday. Tancredi scored goals in each of the games, including what turned out to be the game-winner in the second contest. A calf injury forced Chapman to miss the second game, but like Boxx, is listed as day-to-day, and may return tomorrow, when Canada takes on Sweden at 9:30 am ET.
Catch both games live on Tuesday, with Canada vs. Sweden airing on MSNBC and the United States vs. North Korea showing on NBC Sports Network.
About Irish United
- Track & Field. Harris Named Academic All-American
- Swimming & Diving. Smart Swimmers' Success Saluted
- Track & Field. Irish Compete at USA Track & Field Championships
- General News. Fighting Irish Media Earns Five National Awards
- Fencing. Stabrawa Named Fencing's Director of Operations
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2017-18 Schedule
- M. Soccer. Irish Release 2017 Soccer Slate
- M. Ice Hockey. Peeke And St. Cyr Invited To USA Camp
- Softball. Bazos To Represent Greece At Euro Championship
- Track & Field. Father’s Day: Running In The Aragon Family
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #8-Junior Shannon Hendricks invites Special Olympics team to a day with @NDSoccer. htt… 18 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: We're proud to celebrate the 45th anniversary of Title IX, which was signed into law on this date in 1972. #TitleIXat45 #… 21 hours ago
- RT @MikAoki9: She was a force in the @Big12Conference. Now she helps lead @NDSoccer be a force in @theACC #RecruitingTravelEducates https:… 2 days ago
- Our 2017 gauntlet has been released! Get your season tickets now! 🎟️ ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomme… https://t.co/l1LRVAX3o7 2 days ago
- RT @NDTIX: Season passes currently on sale for @NDvolleyball and @NDSoccer/@NDMenSoccer! Take advantage of early bird discount! https://t.c… 2 weeks ago
- Summer is just around the corner! Register now for one of our elite soccer camps! 🌞⚽️ Registration ➡️ campscui.active.com/orgs/Universit… 3 weeks ago