Jul 30, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
The 2012 Summer Olympics officially began on Friday, July 27, but the action on the pitch actually kicked off on Wednesday for three former Irish women’s soccer players.
Shannon Boxx (’99) and Team U.S.A. fell behind early in their opening round game against France, but rallied for a 4-2 win, thanks in part to a pair of goals by Alex Morgan. Unfortunately, Boxx, a two-time gold medalist, suffered a hamstring injury and missed Saturday’s game versus Colombia. The United States, however, won 3-0 and clinched a spot in the quarterfinals. The USWNT will conclude group play tomorrow (7/31) against North Korea at 12:15 pm ET.
Melissa Tancredi (’04) and Candace Chapman (’05) also began Olympic play for Canada on Wednesday. The Canadian team dropped a 2-1 opener to Japan, but rebounded with a 3-0 win over South Africa on Saturday. Tancredi scored goals in each of the games, including what turned out to be the game-winner in the second contest. A calf injury forced Chapman to miss the second game, but like Boxx, is listed as day-to-day, and may return tomorrow, when Canada takes on Sweden at 9:30 am ET.
Catch both games live on Tuesday, with Canada vs. Sweden airing on MSNBC and the United States vs. North Korea showing on NBC Sports Network.
About Irish United
- W. Soccer. What to Watch: Butler vs. Notre Dame
- M. Basketball. Irish Legend Tom Hawkins Passes Away
- W. Soccer. Irish Add Casper to Women’s Soccer Staff
- Bigger Than Brick. Premium Seating Added To Football Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Visitors Tunnel and Locker Room
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Claims ITA National Summer Championship
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Brings Home Four Nations Tournament Title
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Server Room
- W. Soccer. ACC Network Extra to Broadcast 13 Matches
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Flag Pole
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The Irish and Bulldogs are set to open the 2017 campaign on Friday! ☘️⚽️ ➡️ PREVIEW: und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 hour ago
- Ladies and gentlemen, your 2017 Fighting Irish! ☘️⚽️ https://t.co/uxzlAtUh0p 2 hours ago
- 2017 Training Camp ✔️ The Irish are ready to square off with @ButlerWSoccer in their regular-season opener TOMORRO… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago