Jul 30, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
The 2012 Summer Olympics officially began on Friday, July 27, but the action on the pitch actually kicked off on Wednesday for three former Irish women’s soccer players.
Shannon Boxx (’99) and Team U.S.A. fell behind early in their opening round game against France, but rallied for a 4-2 win, thanks in part to a pair of goals by Alex Morgan. Unfortunately, Boxx, a two-time gold medalist, suffered a hamstring injury and missed Saturday’s game versus Colombia. The United States, however, won 3-0 and clinched a spot in the quarterfinals. The USWNT will conclude group play tomorrow (7/31) against North Korea at 12:15 pm ET.
Melissa Tancredi (’04) and Candace Chapman (’05) also began Olympic play for Canada on Wednesday. The Canadian team dropped a 2-1 opener to Japan, but rebounded with a 3-0 win over South Africa on Saturday. Tancredi scored goals in each of the games, including what turned out to be the game-winner in the second contest. A calf injury forced Chapman to miss the second game, but like Boxx, is listed as day-to-day, and may return tomorrow, when Canada takes on Sweden at 9:30 am ET.
Catch both games live on Tuesday, with Canada vs. Sweden airing on MSNBC and the United States vs. North Korea showing on NBC Sports Network.
About Irish United
- W. Soccer. Irish Set to Battle #4 Duke
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State Preview: Reminisce Then Rally
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Break Competitive Bowling Green Spirit In 2-1 Win
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Golf. NCAA Connection Takes Irish Golfer to Haiti
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans To Captain Irish In 2017-18
- Football. Megaphone On The Line For Irish & Spartans
- W. Soccer. Jacobs Nets ACC Player of the Week Honor
- M. Soccer. #2 Irish And #19 Bowling Green Meet Tuesday At Alumni Stadium
- W. Volleyball. Fry Named ACC Volleyball Player Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🖐🏼 what you're doing... Go follow @LepLegion on Snapchat for the women's soccer takeover! ☘️👻 https://t.co/Z42x0VJMPI 3 hours ago
- Notre Dame returns home after 18 days for top-10 battle against No. 4 @DukeWSOC ☘️ ➡️ PREVIEW: und.com/sports/w-socce… 5 hours ago
- ⚽️ ONE DAY ⚽️ Wear white tomorrow as we face @DukeWSOC at Alumni Stadium! #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/MQ4oWwg0d5 7 hours ago
- Keep your eyes and ears out for Coach Clark and goalkeeper Chris Hubbard later this week on the Jack Swarbrick Show! https://t.co/fqIeV48Xwq 5 hours ago
- X TIC TAC TOE O 📹 Blake Townes to Jack Casey to Jon Gallagher opened the Irish goal account against Bowling Green… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- 📹 HIGHLIGHT MIXTAPE 📹 All of the key moments from Notre Dame's 2-1 Tuesday win against Bowling Green are here! https://t.co/6r7fDg4f3M 1 day ago