Jul 30, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
The 2012 Summer Olympics officially began on Friday, July 27, but the action on the pitch actually kicked off on Wednesday for three former Irish women’s soccer players.
Shannon Boxx (’99) and Team U.S.A. fell behind early in their opening round game against France, but rallied for a 4-2 win, thanks in part to a pair of goals by Alex Morgan. Unfortunately, Boxx, a two-time gold medalist, suffered a hamstring injury and missed Saturday’s game versus Colombia. The United States, however, won 3-0 and clinched a spot in the quarterfinals. The USWNT will conclude group play tomorrow (7/31) against North Korea at 12:15 pm ET.
Melissa Tancredi (’04) and Candace Chapman (’05) also began Olympic play for Canada on Wednesday. The Canadian team dropped a 2-1 opener to Japan, but rebounded with a 3-0 win over South Africa on Saturday. Tancredi scored goals in each of the games, including what turned out to be the game-winner in the second contest. A calf injury forced Chapman to miss the second game, but like Boxx, is listed as day-to-day, and may return tomorrow, when Canada takes on Sweden at 9:30 am ET.
Catch both games live on Tuesday, with Canada vs. Sweden airing on MSNBC and the United States vs. North Korea showing on NBC Sports Network.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Slaggert And St. Cyr Win Gold With Team USA U18’s
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish ACC Championship First Round: Pittsburgh
- M. Tennis. Hagar Snares ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- Baseball. Crusaders Venture To The Eck
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Goals! Goals! Goals! See all of the goals we scored this Spring & come to Alumni on Friday to catch us vs. Mexico!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- Thank you to every one who gave and voted for us on #NDday! We ended up 4th in Athletics with 669 votes! Thank you! notredameday.nd.edu/campaigns/wome… 6 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: NCAA Champion🏆 3 Olympic Gold Medals🥇🥇🥇 World Cup Champion🏆 ☘️@Shannon Boxx (‘99 ⚽️) is our spring Monogram Jacket Ceremon… 6 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Hey SA's, want to make the most out of your opportunities at ND? Come talk to @NDMenSoccer alum, Grant Van De Casteele Th… 2 hours ago
- A HUGE thank you to everyone who donated and voted for Men's Soccer this past week! We finished second in athletics… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Ever wonder how our 2017 O.S.C.A.R.S hosts are preparing for the show on Thur, May 4th? Cross training of course! 🍀⚽️➡️🏒… 5 hours ago