Jul 30, 2012, 11:32 AM EST
The 2012 Summer Olympics officially began on Friday, July 27, but the action on the pitch actually kicked off on Wednesday for three former Irish women’s soccer players.
Shannon Boxx (’99) and Team U.S.A. fell behind early in their opening round game against France, but rallied for a 4-2 win, thanks in part to a pair of goals by Alex Morgan. Unfortunately, Boxx, a two-time gold medalist, suffered a hamstring injury and missed Saturday’s game versus Colombia. The United States, however, won 3-0 and clinched a spot in the quarterfinals. The USWNT will conclude group play tomorrow (7/31) against North Korea at 12:15 pm ET.
Melissa Tancredi (’04) and Candace Chapman (’05) also began Olympic play for Canada on Wednesday. The Canadian team dropped a 2-1 opener to Japan, but rebounded with a 3-0 win over South Africa on Saturday. Tancredi scored goals in each of the games, including what turned out to be the game-winner in the second contest. A calf injury forced Chapman to miss the second game, but like Boxx, is listed as day-to-day, and may return tomorrow, when Canada takes on Sweden at 9:30 am ET.
Catch both games live on Tuesday, with Canada vs. Sweden airing on MSNBC and the United States vs. North Korea showing on NBC Sports Network.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Ranked #15 In Polls After Petersen's Big Weekend
- M. Basketball. Virginia Preview - Five Things To Know
- W. Tennis. Irish Roll To Twin Sweeps In Season-Opening Doubleheader
- M. Tennis. Irish Fall To #15 Kentucky In Tight 5-2 Contest
- Fencing. Irish Wrap New York Stay At NYU Invite
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Breezes By Tar Heels
- M. Basketball. Sunday Brunch: Irish Defense Dooms 'Cuse
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Blank New Hampshire 3-0 For A Three Point Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. Fighting Irish Victorious in Indianapolis
- Fencing. Irish Look Strong At Elite St. John's Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- It's that time of year again! Registration is now open for the 2017 ND Soccer National Coaching Seminar! DETAILS:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
- The Irish were well represented in the MLS this past year! STORY: und.com/sports/m-socce… https://t.co/IqishMr4gJ 5 days ago
- Congratulations @Brandon_Aubrey on being drafted by Toronto FC! #IrishPride STORY: und.com/sports/m-socce… https://t.co/skxgqY7P88 1 week ago