Jun 15, 2012, 5:15 PM EST
I was out for my morning walk thinking about the game today against Sweden, and thought I’d send some pictures that I either found humorous, or that I thought the Irish nation may enjoy seeing a bit of what it looks like here.
I’ve included pictures of a couple of “signs” that I found to be a bit funny, and then I took a couple of pictures of the sites around our hotel. One I found interesting was a circular gas station in the parking lot of a strip shopping center. Reminded me of the old one hour photo stores that use to be in parking lots throughout the states. Anyway, hope you enjoy the pictures, and I’ll write more for the blog after the game tonight against Sweden. Hope all is well in Irish Nation and back on campus in South Bend.
Well, we met a very determined team from Sweden today and the game ended in a 1-1 draw. We started off strong with two great chances early, one by Morgan Marlborough who hit it over the crossbar from about 18 yards out, and another by Amanda DaCosta who didn’t get enough on the volley off a cross from Cammie Levin. Then, there was a period of time, around 15 minutes or so, that Sweden came back and were on top of us a bit. They scored during this time after we mis-cleared a ball out of the back and they slotted the miscue back to a central forward, who took a couple of touches and smacked it in from about 18 yards out. We managed to get hold of the game again after that, and pulled one goal back after a corner where Toni Pressley headed it home to knot the score. Halftime, we went in at 1-1.
We’ve not had this group together and this was the first time we played 11 against 11. It showed in the first half. However, it’s a very talented group and we were much better in the second half. We pretty much dominated the second half, only conceding a couple of chances during this time. We missed several great opportunities, outshooting the Swedes 11 to 5. However, as is the case in football, the best team doesn’t always win.
With this result, though, were we at least got a point and we eliminated Sweden from any chance of winning the event. They lost to Norway 4-2 on the opening day, and with this tie they are now out. Norway has a win and we have a tie, so if we beat Norway on Sunday, we will win the event. We’ll play Norway a second time in a friendly match before we head home but it won’t count in the tournament. So, we are now preparing for Sunday’s championship match. This is what it came down to in La Manga, Spain, (earlier this year) as well — us and Norway on the final day for the trophy!
I have faith in this group of players and I’m sure we will be ready to take it all….
About Irish United
- M. Basketball. Irish Suffer First Loss of Season Against No. 1 Villanova
- Football. Kizer, Martini, McGlinchey, Morgan, Nelson, Tranquill, Webster Named 2017 Notre Dame Football Captains
- Football. Deshone Kizer Named Monogram Club Most Valuable Player
- W. Basketball. Irish Renew Rivalry With #16 DePaul Saturday Night
- M. Soccer. Aubrey Honored As NSCAA Third Team All-American
- M. Basketball. Villanova Preview - 10 Things To Know
- M. Soccer. From Ireland To All-ACC
- W. Soccer. Bocanegra Named Head Coach At University of Houston
- W. Basketball. Irish Fall 72-61 In Battle Of Top Teams
- Swimming & Diving. Notre Dame Swimmer Justin Plaschka Breaks Jamaican 100 Butterfly Record
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Get to know our ACC Offensive Player of the Year, @JonGallagher96 ! 🏆☘️ STORY: und.com/sports/m-socce… https://t.co/GKgUQ9cHBo 2 days ago
- Congratulations Irish alum @justmorrow on making it to the MLS Cup Final! #IrishPride STORY:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- Irish drop tonight's hard fought match 3-1 https://t.co/OBCAZLiiID 1 week ago