Jun 11, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
Notre Dame women’s soccer head coach Randy Waldrum currently is in Norway as part of his role as the head coach of the United States Under-23 Women’s National Team, leading a 17-player roster that includes former Fighting Irish two-time All-America forward and 2010 Honda Sports Award recipient Melissa Henderson.
The Americans are scheduled to play three exhibitions in the coming days, facing the Sweden U-23s (noon ET, Friday) and the Norwegian U-23s (noon ET, Sunday; 6 a.m. ET June 19), with all three matches to be played in Stjordal, Norway. During his trip, Coach Waldrum will offer his unique insights on the United States’ highest youth level national team (one rung below the Women’s National Team that will compete in the London Olympics later this summer), as well as the sights and sounds from an unforgettable trip to Scandinavia.
Well, we arrived after a long night of traveling to our destination in Norway! Surprisingly, it’s called HELL….really! That’s no joke. The hotel itself is called the Rica Hell Hotel, but contrary to the name it’s really very nice.
Once we arrived at the hotel, it was time for lunch, which consists of a lot of different kinds of fish. I love shrimp so thought I’d try that, and was doing ok until I noticed it was the whole shrimp….the eyes were looking at me so that was the end of that. I did find one dessert I really like, so I’ll guess I’ll live on that the next 10 days…..Jenny Craig here I come!
We went out and trained after lunch for about an hour just to get the jet lag out and such. It was amazing how good the training was, and the intensity of the players. What an impressive group of players, especially considering some have been on a plane from the west coast for over 14 hours!
I’ll keep everyone up to date as we actually begin our training tomorrow morning, and included here is a picture of our training area which is a small sports club in the city of Hell.
It was actually nice though, and I’m looking forward to spending the next 10 days here.
About Irish United
- M. Lacrosse. Irish And Buckeyes Ready For Top-Five Matchup On Saturday
- Baseball. Irish & Noles To Play Two Friday
- Baseball. Irish Host Florida State For Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. 200 Free Relay Earn All- American Honors in Second Day of Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- Softball. Irish Welcome Virginia Tech For Key ACC Series
- Fencing. Irish Surge Into First Place On Day One At NCAA Championship
- Fencing. Notre Dame, Ohio State, Columbia Top Standings After Day 1 of NCAA Championships
- Football. DeShone Kizer: Another Day, Another Impression
- Track. Keys To The Meet: Raleigh Relays
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Lacrosse Spring Break: Adjustments on the Fly
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- What a beautiful day for some soccer! Excited to kick off our Spring season tonight vs. Purdue! ☀️⚽️☘️ https://t.co/Vwa2PTCHXt 3 hours ago
- SCHEDULE CHANGE! Our first spring game vs. Purdue has been moved to Friday @ 7:30pm! We will play on LaBar Practice… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Good Luck to Sandra Yu as she heads to Portland for camp with the US U-23s! und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @NDSoccer: What a beautiful day for some soccer! Excited to kick off our Spring season tonight vs. Purdue! ☀️⚽️☘️ https://t.co/Vwa2PTCHXt 1 hour ago
- Irish fans, get your tickets now to watch us play this Saturday in the 2017 College Challenge in Pontiac, MI! 🎟️… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 days ago
- Rounding out St. Patty's Day and spring break with a fantastic dinner at @JamesJoycePubMD! Thanks for having us!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 days ago