Jun 11, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
Notre Dame women’s soccer head coach Randy Waldrum currently is in Norway as part of his role as the head coach of the United States Under-23 Women’s National Team, leading a 17-player roster that includes former Fighting Irish two-time All-America forward and 2010 Honda Sports Award recipient Melissa Henderson.
The Americans are scheduled to play three exhibitions in the coming days, facing the Sweden U-23s (noon ET, Friday) and the Norwegian U-23s (noon ET, Sunday; 6 a.m. ET June 19), with all three matches to be played in Stjordal, Norway. During his trip, Coach Waldrum will offer his unique insights on the United States’ highest youth level national team (one rung below the Women’s National Team that will compete in the London Olympics later this summer), as well as the sights and sounds from an unforgettable trip to Scandinavia.
Well, we arrived after a long night of traveling to our destination in Norway! Surprisingly, it’s called HELL….really! That’s no joke. The hotel itself is called the Rica Hell Hotel, but contrary to the name it’s really very nice.
Once we arrived at the hotel, it was time for lunch, which consists of a lot of different kinds of fish. I love shrimp so thought I’d try that, and was doing ok until I noticed it was the whole shrimp….the eyes were looking at me so that was the end of that. I did find one dessert I really like, so I’ll guess I’ll live on that the next 10 days…..Jenny Craig here I come!
We went out and trained after lunch for about an hour just to get the jet lag out and such. It was amazing how good the training was, and the intensity of the players. What an impressive group of players, especially considering some have been on a plane from the west coast for over 14 hours!
I’ll keep everyone up to date as we actually begin our training tomorrow morning, and included here is a picture of our training area which is a small sports club in the city of Hell.
It was actually nice though, and I’m looking forward to spending the next 10 days here.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Richter Award Finalist
- Baseball. Register Now: Irish Baseball Summer Camp
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Edged By Michigan, 13-12
- W. Soccer. SCHEDULE CHANGE: Irish to Face Purdue on Friday
- Baseball. Johnson Named Senior CLASS Candidate
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Playoffs Begin For No. 2 Irish
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: 2018 NCAA Championships
- Fencing. Sirico Named ACC Fencer of the Year for Women's Epee
- Baseball. Irish Drop Home Opener to NIU
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🚨SCHEDULE CHANGE 🚨 Notre Dame's spring opener at Purdue has been moved to 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday! ☘️⚽️ ➡️ MORE: und.com/sports/w-socce… 1 day ago
- RT @NotreDame: Happy Saint Patrick's Day! https://t.co/wEeK2ITAFC 5 days ago
- 👀 We see you, Sandra! #NDFamily ☘️ twitter.com/thornsfc/statu… 1 week ago
- Indy Eleven ✔︎ MSU ✔︎ Oakland ✔︎ Valpo ✔︎ Green Bay ✔︎ UK ✔︎ Bethel ✔︎ IU ✔︎ 🇲🇽 ✔︎ Come watch the Irish this sprin… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 weeks ago
- Congratulations to another of our own, 2007 grad and four-year Monogram winner Nate Norman, the new head coach of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
- Rounding out our newcomers is a midfielder from the state of Virginia. Welcome Bryan Silver! 🖋⚽️☘ https://t.co/2tXDjWIWYb 1 month ago