Jun 11, 2012, 9:58 AM EST
Notre Dame women’s soccer head coach Randy Waldrum currently is in Norway as part of his role as the head coach of the United States Under-23 Women’s National Team, leading a 17-player roster that includes former Fighting Irish two-time All-America forward and 2010 Honda Sports Award recipient Melissa Henderson.
The Americans are scheduled to play three exhibitions in the coming days, facing the Sweden U-23s (noon ET, Friday) and the Norwegian U-23s (noon ET, Sunday; 6 a.m. ET June 19), with all three matches to be played in Stjordal, Norway. During his trip, Coach Waldrum will offer his unique insights on the United States’ highest youth level national team (one rung below the Women’s National Team that will compete in the London Olympics later this summer), as well as the sights and sounds from an unforgettable trip to Scandinavia.
Well, we arrived after a long night of traveling to our destination in Norway! Surprisingly, it’s called HELL….really! That’s no joke. The hotel itself is called the Rica Hell Hotel, but contrary to the name it’s really very nice.
Once we arrived at the hotel, it was time for lunch, which consists of a lot of different kinds of fish. I love shrimp so thought I’d try that, and was doing ok until I noticed it was the whole shrimp….the eyes were looking at me so that was the end of that. I did find one dessert I really like, so I’ll guess I’ll live on that the next 10 days…..Jenny Craig here I come!
We went out and trained after lunch for about an hour just to get the jet lag out and such. It was amazing how good the training was, and the intensity of the players. What an impressive group of players, especially considering some have been on a plane from the west coast for over 14 hours!
I’ll keep everyone up to date as we actually begin our training tomorrow morning, and included here is a picture of our training area which is a small sports club in the city of Hell.
It was actually nice though, and I’m looking forward to spending the next 10 days here.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Primed For Weekend Series With #6 Minnesota
- Football. Offensive Line Named Joe Moore Award Semifinalists
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Finalist
- W. Basketball. No. 6 Irish Depart for Gulf Coast Showcase
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Wichita State - Five Things To Know
- M. Basketball. Championship Bound: Irish Dominate LSU 92-53 In Maui Invitational Semifinal
- Baseball. Baseball Unveils 2018 Campaign
- W. Volleyball. Irish Ride Five Match Win Streak Into Final Week Of Regular Season
- M. Ice Hockey. Morris Named Big Ten’s First Star For Second Consecutive Week
- Football. Eighth-Ranked Irish Look To Harvest 10th Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It was great to see Jill Krivacek ('07) back at Notre Dame as a panelist for last night's @espnW Campus Conversatio… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @NDRomagnolo: So proud of @ndsoccer and their spirit to battle back in the sweet 16 yesterday. Unfortunately we came up short but not wi… 1 day ago
- Thank you to our senior class that has given us 4+ years of unforgettable laughter, love and hard work. 💚 Notre Da… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- 🏆 Best of luck to Irish alumni Justin Morrow and Brandon Aubrey (Toronto FC vs. Columbus Crew, 8 p.m. ET, Eastern C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- We want to properly recognize and congratulate our senior class and pair of graduate captains for their outstanding… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- Wisconsin wins 1-0 2 days ago