May 22, 2014, 11:16 PM EDT
Originally posted on Fighting Irish Blog:
For the first time in program history, a former Notre Dame men’s soccer player was selected to the 23-man roster for the United States Men’s National Team ahead of the 2014 World Cup. It was announced on Thursday afternoon (almost a week earlier than most predicted) by USMNT manager Jürgen Klinsmann that 2009 Notre Dame graduate Matt Besler would be a member of the squad for this June’s events in Brazil.
Besler, the first student-athlete in Irish men’s soccer history to cop both first-team All-America and first-team Academic All-America honors during his career, is predicted to be a member of the starting XI along the United States’ backline. His technical skills set Besler apart from many of the members of the 23-man roster, giving him the inside track at the center back position.
Besler played in 90 games while at Notre Dame, starting 83, and tallied five goals in those…
View original 247 more words
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Open Hockey East Schedule With A 3-2 Win Over Vermont
- W. Volleyball. Irish Fall In Five Sets To Georgia Tech On Halloween
- W. Swimming. Irish Return Home For Hoosier State Showdown With No. 24 Purdue
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Head To Chicago For Playing For Peace Service Day
- M. Basketball. Tom Hawkins Set To Become Seventh Notre Dame Basketball Ring Of Honor Inductee
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish Travel To Boston College For Regular Season Finale
- M. Soccer. #5 Irish Close Regular Season Saturday At Pitt
- M. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: A Wall In Goal
- Cross Country. Irish Women Finish Fifth, Men Finish Seventh At ACC Championships
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Set To Host Purdue Saturday In First Dual Meet Of The Season
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Good luck to @NDHockey in their @hockey_east series opener this weekend! #GoIrish 6 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Technically, @NDMenSoccer's Patrick Hodan DID end up playing football... #NDHalloween http://t.co/nZXCD9VOFh 10 hours ago
- RT @NDBusiness: Congrats to #Mendoza student athlete Patrick Hoden, named Academic All-District 5 First Team und.com/sports/m-socce… @NDMenS… 15 hours ago