May 22, 2014, 11:16 PM EST
Originally posted on Fighting Irish Blog:
For the first time in program history, a former Notre Dame men’s soccer player was selected to the 23-man roster for the United States Men’s National Team ahead of the 2014 World Cup. It was announced on Thursday afternoon (almost a week earlier than most predicted) by USMNT manager Jürgen Klinsmann that 2009 Notre Dame graduate Matt Besler would be a member of the squad for this June’s events in Brazil.
Besler, the first student-athlete in Irish men’s soccer history to cop both first-team All-America and first-team Academic All-America honors during his career, is predicted to be a member of the starting XI along the United States’ backline. His technical skills set Besler apart from many of the members of the 23-man roster, giving him the inside track at the center back position.
Besler played in 90 games while at Notre Dame, starting 83, and tallied five goals in those…
View original 247 more words
About Irish United
- M. Basketball. Irish Top UMass in Hall of Fame Tipoff, 81-68
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Freshman Johnson Breaks Out
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish And River Hawks Battle To A 2-2 Tie
- W. Volleyball. No. 7 North Carolina Tops Notre Dame, 3-0, Friday Night
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3/2 Notre Dame 88, Chattanooga 53
- W. Basketball. Postgame Quotes: Notre Dame 88, Chattanooga 53
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Cruise Past Chattanooga, 88-53
- W. Soccer. Muya Shines As Irish Earn A 2-1 Comeback Win Over Texas In NCAA Second Round
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish To Battle Buckeyes In NCAA Second Round
- Baseball. Irish Update From Around Professional Baseball
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- RT @NDMonogram: A truly great representative of @NotreDame, @NDMenSoccer and @NDMonogram - @MattBesler ('09)! http://t.co/kncDso1Ex9 7 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: Former @NDMenSoccer All-American and Academic All-American @MattBesler ('09) signs @ndfidm's Wall of Fame! http://t.co/yU3J… 8 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: "There's something special about @NotreDame. I still feel so close to this University." - Matt Besler ('09) http://t.co/EMK… 8 hours ago