May 13, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
It was a huge week on and off the pitch for Irish alums as the MLS season continues to roll on and the United States Men’s National Team manager, Jurgen Klinsmann, inches towards his final roster for the 2014 World Cup.
First off, let’s congratulate Matt Besler for being named to the United States Men’s National Team 30-man preliminary roster ahead of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil in a few months. The roster will be whittled down to 23 names by June 2nd.
As we move on to the MLS, there is no other place to start but with Harrison Shipp and the Chicago Fire. The 2013 MAC-Hermann Trophy finalist not only scored the first goal in his professional career, but his first hat trick as well. Check out his three goals below:
Did we mention he also picked up an assist? (see below)
Continuing on to other alums, after being drafted by the Columbus Crew after the 2012 season, Ryan Finley was recently traded to Chivas USA and saw his first action in MLS play this past weekend, subbing in in the final segment of a 3-1 victory.
Justin Morrow played the full 90 minutes at left back in a 2-1 victory for Toronto FC last Wednesday.
Aaron Maund once again played well in his center back position for Real Salt Lake in a 5-2 victory over the Houstan Dynamo.
In a game that pitted a pair of alums, Besler’s Sporting KC squad defeated Jeb Brovsky’s Montreal Impact team 3-0.
This game was not without a pair of fantastic plays by each of the players. Let’s first look at Brovsky’s fantastic save of a sure-fire goal from his defender position and then take a glance at Besler’s long throw in that resulted in a penalty kick.
Dillon Powers subbed in for the Colorado Rapids in the 74th minute, already trailing 2-0. He would be on the field for the Rapids lone goal, but couldn’t bring them all the way back in a loss to Finley’s Chivas USA squad.
About Irish United
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish And River Hawks Battle To A 2-2 Tie
- W. Volleyball. No. 7 North Carolina Tops Notre Dame, 3-0, Friday Night
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3/2 Notre Dame 88, Chattanooga 53
- W. Basketball. Postgame Quotes: Notre Dame 88, Chattanooga 53
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Cruise Past Chattanooga, 88-53
- W. Soccer. Muya Shines As Irish Earn A 2-1 Comeback Win Over Texas In NCAA Second Round
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish To Battle Buckeyes In NCAA Second Round
- Baseball. Irish Update From Around Professional Baseball
- Football. Living Out a Dream
- Football. Influential Fathers
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDsoccernews: Highlights from last night's 2-1 @NDSoccer win over Texas courtesy of the @LonghornNetwork es.pn/1v7MZF6 2 hours ago
- RT @NDsoccernews: Full recap, stats and info from @NDSoccer's 2-1 NCAA 2nd Rd win over Texas, ND's 66th all-time @NCAA Championship win htt… 13 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Congrats @NDSoccer on the big win over Texas! #OnToTheNextOne #GoIrish 16 hours ago
- Wishing @NDXCTF luck in their NCAA Championship race today! #GoIrish 13 minutes ago
- RT @NDSoccer: IRISH VICTORY! With a 2-1 win over Texas, Irish move on to the 3rd round of NCAA play. Goals by @anna06maria and Karin Muya! … 15 hours ago
- RT @NDsidSean: Sunday's NCAA match vs. Ohio State will be @NDMenSoccer head coach Bobby Clark's 300th game at ND; Irish are 181-73-45 under… 20 hours ago