May 5, 2014, 3:11 PM EST
Originally posted on Fighting Irish Blog:
Mostly everybody watches horse racing once a year, and that time was on Saturday, May 3rd. As the eyes of the world and especially the horse racing community turned to Churchill Downs for the running of the Kentucky Derby, there was a bit of an “Irish Flair” to the event this year. To see the flair, all you had to do was turn to the 17 horse, Commanding Curve. Commanding Curve would make a late run (if you haven’t seen the video, you can watch below) and finish second to the eventual champion, California Chrome.
At first glance, the horse coming out of the 17th post position was a thoroughbred from West Point Thoroughbreds, but if you did a little more research, you would learn of the Notre Dame connection.
Let’s put the pieces together…
First off, let’s look at the silks from Commanding Curve:
Now, so what professional sports…
View original 182 more words
About Irish United
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Football Makes a Holiday Contribution
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame-Hartford Men's Basketball Game On Dec. 30 Moved To 7:30 pm (ET) Start Time
- W. Basketball. #5/4 Irish Play Host To Saint Joseph's Sunday Afternoon
- General News. Spreading Christmas Joy
- General News. Former Notre Dame Sports Medicine Pioneer Dr. Les Bodnar Dies
- M. Basketball. #21/21 Irish To Clash With Purdue At Crossroads Classic
- Football. ECHOES `14: Notre Dame Football Awards Show Premieres December 20, 2014 on NBC Sports Network
- Fencing. Francesca Russo: Big-Time Dreamer, Full-Throttle Fencer
- W. Soccer. Naughton, Roccaro Named To NSCAA Scholar All-America Third Team
- Baseball. Baseball Announces Elite 2015 Schedule
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Save the date for @NDSoccer & @NDMenSoccer 2015 National Coaching Seminar! More information to come soon! http://t.co/0fM48uQtlE 2 days ago
- Congrats Patrick Hodan on being named a 1st Team Scholar All-American! Hodan is a Finance Major & boasts a 3.93 GPA. http://t.co/NJdeiGspIF 3 days ago
- Congrats Luke Mishu on being named a 2nd Team Scholar All-American! Mishu is Pre-Professional Major & has a 3.56 GPA. http://t.co/0bitvNq0fU 3 days ago