Nov 26, 2012, 2:11 PM EDT
Losses can be difficult to deal with, especially if they are season-ending ones like the Irish’s 1-0 postseason loss to FSU. However, it helps to put things in perspective by looking back to the beginning of the season. The Irish have made tremendous strides since then. If you would have asked anyone how far the Irish would go into postseason, almost no one would have predicted them as a contender in the Elite Eight.
After having a season of ups and downs in 2011, the team struggled to make it into the NCAA tournament and lost in the first round. In the start of the 2012 season, the Irish came out to redeem themselves, but this proved more difficult than they thought. With 12 freshmen on the roster and in the regular line-up, the Irish faced the difficulties of having a rookie team, and they lost three of their first seven matches.
After this, many predicted that the Irish were in for another disappointing season and a lot of people forgot about how good they actually are. These doubters were in for a big surprise come conference play because the Irish pulled together as a team, ended up going 8-1-1 in the BIG EAST and winning a share of the regular season conference title. With each game, the Irish showed improvement and fought to the finish.
This wasn’t enough to get a good spot in the NCAA tournament though. Due to the shaky start to their season, the Irish were not seeded and were placed in a difficult bracket where they would have to face multiple ranked opponents. In spite of this, the team came out week after week to upset seeded teams and prove its true potential by making it all the way to the Elite Eight.
This may have been a surprise to many, but not to the Irish coaches and players. All along they knew their true potential, but it took a season of hard work and improvement for everyone else to see it. This season was not a disappointment, but a success.
The hard work isn’t over though. The team will be working year round so that next fall it will be ready to play and show everyone why you should never forget about the Irish.
About Irish United
- Track. A Long-Distance Runner With An Impressive Past
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Down #10 Duke, 69-53, For ACC Title
- Baseball. Irish Fall To No. 6 NC State in Series Finale, 7-0
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Gets First ACC Win Against No. 25 Florida State
- Softball. #22/21 Irish Blank Georgia Tech 12-0 To Win First ACC Series
- M. Golf. Irish Begin Spring Slate At San Diego Classic Monday
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Meet #10 Duke Sunday In ACC Championship Game
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Advance In Hockey East Playoffs With 3-2 Win Over Boston University
- Baseball. No. 6 Wolfpack Sweep Irish In Saturday ACC Action
- M. Lacrosse. #6 Notre Dame Falls To #12 Denver, 10-7, In Pacific Coast Shootout
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- It's Coaching Seminar Week! Just four more days until the 2014 NSCS, and there is still time to register! #2014NSCS ow.ly/uq5bB 10 hours ago
- Congratulations @ndwbb on your ACC Championship! #NDFamily 1 day ago
- A look at another auction item for the 2014 National Soccer Coaching Seminar! Will you be there?! ow.ly/i/4OY63 3 days ago
- The @ACCMSoccer regular season trophy has been added to the case! RT @NDMonogram: Some new hardware arrived today! http://t.co/Rk4kBUIsqV 6 hours ago
- Spring season is right around the corner! http://t.co/QiKXvvpuam 11 hours ago
- Way to go @MuffetMcGraw, @GoIrishCoachO, @BCunninghamND, @IrishCoachIvey & @ndwbb on winning ND's 1st ACC championship! #ProudtobeIrish 1 day ago