Nov 20, 2012, 1:10 AM EDT
Momentum is an odd thing. It cannot be captured by a mere stat sheet, cannot be measured quantitatively. It is essentially impossible to attach a value to it. Nevertheless, momentum is a factor in every sporting event. It can morph a mediocre team into a formidable one, and a very good squad into a truly great one.
The latter seems to be taking place right before our eyes, as the Irish men’s soccer team continued its winning ways with a 3-0 win over Michigan State in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Notre Dame is now in the midst of an eight game unbeaten streak, which includes three wins in the BIG EAST tournament to capture the conference crown.
The Irish had little trouble dispatching the Spartans on an unusually warm November day. First half goals by junior forward Harry Shipp and senior striker Ryan Finley gave Bobby Clark’s boys a two goal cushion at the half. Sophomore back Max Lachowecki poured in another in the 80th minute for the final score.
Notre Dame moves on to the round of sixteen, where it where it will square off against Indiana, the No. 16 overall seed in the tournament. The two teams met earlier this year in Bloomington. The Irish emerged victorious on a late goal by senior defender Grant Van De Casteele.
Indiana has had a bit more arduous trip to the third round than the Irish, as the Hoosiers squeaked by Kentucky, 1-0, in the opening round. They had an easier time with Xavier in the second round, netting four goals in an easy 4-1 win.
The Indiana offense is paced by sophomore attacker Eric Zavaleta, who has tickled the twine 16 times this season. This goal output is more than double that of any other Hoosier. Indiana’s defense is anchored by senior goalkeeper and captain Luis Soffner, who will enter the match boasting a paltry 0.82 goals against average.
Notre Dame will look to further add to its momentum on Sunday at 3:00 P.M. against the Hoosiers in Alumni Stadium.
About Irish United
- Softball. Winter Named ACC Pitcher Of The Week
- W. Lacrosse. No. 7/6 Women's Lacrosse Carries Momentum to Richmond
- Baseball. Irish Look To Shake Off Sting Of Weekend With Mid-Week At App State
- W. Basketball. Irish Trio Earns All-ACC Coaches Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Travel To Face College of Charleston
- M. Basketball. Eric Atkins Earns All-Atlantic Coast Conference Honors
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Update: Irish And Pioneers Put On Show For Pacific Coast Fans
- W. Volleyball. Prendergast Joins Irish Volleyball Staff As Operations Specialist
- Football. Notre Dame Has Three on College Football Hall of Fame Ballot
- M. Basketball. Irish To Face Wake Forest In ACC Tournament Debut
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- It's Coaching Seminar Week! Just four more days until the 2014 NSCS, and there is still time to register! #2014NSCS ow.ly/uq5bB 21 hours ago
- Congratulations @ndwbb on your ACC Championship! #NDFamily 1 day ago
- A look at another auction item for the 2014 National Soccer Coaching Seminar! Will you be there?! ow.ly/i/4OY63 3 days ago
- The @ACCMSoccer regular season trophy has been added to the case! RT @NDMonogram: Some new hardware arrived today! http://t.co/Rk4kBUIsqV 18 hours ago
- Spring season is right around the corner! http://t.co/QiKXvvpuam 22 hours ago
- Way to go @MuffetMcGraw, @GoIrishCoachO, @BCunninghamND, @IrishCoachIvey & @ndwbb on winning ND's 1st ACC championship! #ProudtobeIrish 1 day ago