Nov 20, 2012, 1:10 AM EDT
Momentum is an odd thing. It cannot be captured by a mere stat sheet, cannot be measured quantitatively. It is essentially impossible to attach a value to it. Nevertheless, momentum is a factor in every sporting event. It can morph a mediocre team into a formidable one, and a very good squad into a truly great one.
The latter seems to be taking place right before our eyes, as the Irish men’s soccer team continued its winning ways with a 3-0 win over Michigan State in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Notre Dame is now in the midst of an eight game unbeaten streak, which includes three wins in the BIG EAST tournament to capture the conference crown.
The Irish had little trouble dispatching the Spartans on an unusually warm November day. First half goals by junior forward Harry Shipp and senior striker Ryan Finley gave Bobby Clark’s boys a two goal cushion at the half. Sophomore back Max Lachowecki poured in another in the 80th minute for the final score.
Notre Dame moves on to the round of sixteen, where it where it will square off against Indiana, the No. 16 overall seed in the tournament. The two teams met earlier this year in Bloomington. The Irish emerged victorious on a late goal by senior defender Grant Van De Casteele.
Indiana has had a bit more arduous trip to the third round than the Irish, as the Hoosiers squeaked by Kentucky, 1-0, in the opening round. They had an easier time with Xavier in the second round, netting four goals in an easy 4-1 win.
The Indiana offense is paced by sophomore attacker Eric Zavaleta, who has tickled the twine 16 times this season. This goal output is more than double that of any other Hoosier. Indiana’s defense is anchored by senior goalkeeper and captain Luis Soffner, who will enter the match boasting a paltry 0.82 goals against average.
Notre Dame will look to further add to its momentum on Sunday at 3:00 P.M. against the Hoosiers in Alumni Stadium.
About Irish United
- Baseball. Eric Jagielo Takes Home BIG EAST Player Of The Year Award As Irish Total Five All-BIG EAST Honorees
- W. Rowing. Irish Selected To NCAA Championship For Second Straight Season
- M. Swimming. Tallman Named CollegeSwimming.Com Assistant Coach Of The Year
- Track. Irish Set For 2013 NCAA East Regional
- W. Soccer. Notre Dame Announces 2013 Women's Soccer Schedule
- M. Soccer. San Jose To South Bend: Dillon Powers Aims To Attend Notre Dame Commencement Ceremony
- M. Lacrosse. #2 Notre Dame Drops 12-11 Decision To #7 Duke In NCAA Quarterfinals
- W. Rowing. Irish Claim Five Grand Final Titles To Earn 10th Consecutive BIG EAST Championship
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Open 2013 BIG EAST Tournament As No. 7 Seed
- Baseball. Irish Drop Regular Season, Series Finale At Cincinnati, 11-5
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Student-Athlete Graduation Feature
Length: 3:54 | May 21, 2013
Eric Jagielo 2013 Big East Player of the Year - ND Baseball
Length: 1:49 | May 22, 2013
2013 BIG EAST Preview - Notre Dame Baseball
Length: 2:30 | May 21, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - 'Player Over Play'
Length: 1:26 | May 21, 2013
- RT @NDsoccernews: Congrats to @cari_roccaro & @k_naughton24 who were named to US U-20 WNT roster for tour of Sweden May 24-June 3: http://t… 12 hours ago
- RT @NDsoccernews: 2013 @NDSoccer schedule is out - Irish w/ 11 home games on tap, including visits from UCLA, Wake Forest, Duke and BC: htt… 12 hours ago
- RT @NDsoccernews: It's almost here - 2013 @NDSoccer schedule to be released Tues. in 10-11 am ET hour … will have details here and at http:… 1 day ago
- Congrats @powerhour5 for being names MLS Rookie of the Week: soccerbyives.net/2013/04/rookie… 1 month ago
- Matt Besler Earns Cap In World Cup Qualifier At Mexico soa.li/8wfE9pc 1 month ago
- Great performance last night by @NDMenSoccer graduate @mbesler in our USMNT WC qualifier draw vs Mexico down at Azteca. Congrats Bes! 1 month ago